News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

MechWarrior (5) announced

Started by FunkMonk, July 09, 2009, 07:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

I would rather have a well down MW wargame on the PC.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on July 10, 2009, 01:33:55 PM
I was always a fan of the Locust.  Being able to accomplish anything in it was a bit of a challenge however...

Machine guns to the legs!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

I really liked the management-side of the merc versions. Having to allocate your weapons and mechs, etc. I'd really love to see it all combined with a deeper strategy element. At least for the SP.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on July 10, 2009, 08:24:57 AM
Quote from: Neil on July 10, 2009, 07:37:22 AM
Also:  Fucking Davions.

I thought Steiner and Davion were the good(er) guys?
Fuck you.

Steiners are sort of goofy, although their ineffectiveness makes them more cute than anything.  The Davions are pure munch, because they're the faction whose leaders are considered to be the best analogue to the US (despite the fact that only the Free Worlds League is actually a decent, democratic state), and thus they have the best 'Mechs and equipment and win everything by fiat.

Every Davion-lover should be hanged from a fucking yardarm.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 10, 2009, 08:36:43 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 10, 2009, 08:35:40 AM
I have to say I am intrigued by a Battletech reboot.  I lost interest with all the clan stuff.
They basically tried that with the wizkids clickytech game.
Fucking Clickytech.  It was the worst thing ever to have happened.  And they killed my faction, to boot.  Fuckers.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Habbaku on July 10, 2009, 01:28:12 PM
I want my walking trashcan in the game.  It's the only mech I care about, other than the Atlas and maybe the Longbow.
Urbanmech?

I was always a fan of the Locust.  Being able to accomplish anything in it was a bit of a challenge however...
The Locust was actually a pretty good light mech.  8/12 with a medium laser?  Sure, you wouldn't want to take it up against a lance of mediums or heavies, but they made great scounts, and were really nice when upgraded with Star League-era tech.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on July 10, 2009, 04:49:18 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 10, 2009, 08:24:57 AM
Quote from: Neil on July 10, 2009, 07:37:22 AM
Also:  Fucking Davions.

I thought Steiner and Davion were the good(er) guys?
Fuck you.

Steiners are sort of goofy, although their ineffectiveness makes them more cute than anything.  The Davions are pure munch, because they're the faction whose leaders are considered to be the best analogue to the US (despite the fact that only the Free Worlds League is actually a decent, democratic state), and thus they have the best 'Mechs and equipment and win everything by fiat.

Every Davion-lover should be hanged from a fucking yardarm.

The Free Worlds League had been operating under a state of emergency/martial law with dictatorial powers assigned to the captain general for several hundred years.  Democracy?  Pfah.

Besides, we all know that House Steiner is the only good and noble house of the Inner Sphere.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on July 10, 2009, 04:53:01 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on July 10, 2009, 01:28:12 PM
I want my walking trashcan in the game.  It's the only mech I care about, other than the Atlas and maybe the Longbow.
Urbanmech?

The Locust was actually a pretty good light mech.  8/12 with a medium laser?  Sure, you wouldn't want to take it up against a lance of mediums or heavies, but they made great scounts, and were really nice when upgraded with Star League-era tech.

Hence why I was a fan.  It was the fastest Mech going - so if you ran into something you couldn't handle you could/should simply run away.  Nothing could touch it unless you wanted to be touched.

Neil

Quote from: Habbaku on July 10, 2009, 01:38:31 PM
Urbanmech?

Yes.  I want to head-shot people with my AC/10.

As a side note, I hope that there are infantry, tanks and airpower in the game as well.
I doubt we'd see decent use of airpower.  We'll definitely see tanks, but I'd be surprised if there was any infantry.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on July 10, 2009, 04:57:42 PM
The Free Worlds League had been operating under a state of emergency/martial law with dictatorial powers assigned to the captain general for several hundred years.  Democracy?  Pfah.

Besides, we all know that House Steiner is the only good and noble house of the Inner Sphere.
Parliament was still sovereign.  Naturally, several hundred years of warfare increased the importance of the commander-in-chief of the military.

Beside, House Steiner was the big badguy during their last big storyline before the Jihad, because the citizens of the Lyran Commonwealth/Alliance didn't love Napooleon Davion enough.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on July 10, 2009, 04:58:43 PM
Hence why I was a fan.  It was the fastest Mech going - so if you ran into something you couldn't handle you could/should simply run away.  Nothing could touch it unless you wanted to be touched.
Yeah.  It was really nice, until the Clans came along with 5/8 assault 'Mechs and wacky long range guns.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on July 10, 2009, 05:06:23 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 10, 2009, 04:58:43 PM
Yeah.  It was really nice, until the Clans came along with 5/8 assault 'Mechs and wacky long range guns.

As everyone seems to agree things got wackier and wackier with BattleTech up until the end.  The classic Succession War timeframe was by far the most interesting.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on July 10, 2009, 05:09:04 PM
As everyone seems to agree things got wackier and wackier with BattleTech up until the end.  The classic Succession War timeframe was by far the most interesting.
I liked the Succession Wars, but I also liked the time right before the Jihad.  The late period was gadgety, but still fun.  The Succession Wars required clever strategy and tactics, and also featured the most iconic of BattleMechs, like the Warhammer, Thunderbolt, Archer, Marauder, Stinger, Valkyrie and Locust.  You know, the 'Mechs whose designs they grabbed from assorted mecha anime.

Barrister

I had to look some of that stuff up.

Apparently my BattleTech knowledge stopped in the midst of the Inner Sphere war on Clan Smoke Jaguar.  Everything after that is new to me.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on July 10, 2009, 05:38:40 PM
I had to look some of that stuff up.

Apparently my BattleTech knowledge stopped in the midst of the Inner Sphere war on Clan Smoke Jaguar.  Everything after that is new to me.
I actually had a long term game going, with the same group of characters (minus KIAs), going for fifteen years of realtime, from the Succession Wars to the Jihad.