News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Your musical education

Started by viper37, April 30, 2017, 01:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

The discussion about 80s music made me wonder...
What was your "musical education", what your parents were playing in the house, the music you heard at family parties?

In my case, it would look something like that:
Grand parents, every goddam family reunion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BQW_JllILk&feature=youtu.be

Parents:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMeT_8VP62Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHJPI0ilAJQ
That's the stuff I had to listen to on our long car trips. 

I think my musical tastes have evolved nicely over the years, considering my background :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

dps

My mom was a big Elvis fan, so I heard a lot of 50s rockabilly, but really, you could here just about any type of popular music at our house, plus a good bit of classical, depending on who happened to turn on the radio.

Grinning_Colossus

The radio was tuned permanently to LA's classical and jazz stations.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Admiral Yi

Mostly classical.  Some pop, like Harry Belafonte.

Admiral Yi

French county western is such a weird concept.

PDH

My dad was classical and showtunes - that made for long drives.

Mom stayed mostly up to date, she liked FM radio when it became a thing.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

katmai

From my mother-Beatles, Dylan, Billy Joel were albums that I recall from her collection.
My two cousins who moved in with us when I was seven tuned me in to - Earth, Wind & Fire, Police, B-52's, Talking Heads, Clash, Prince etc...
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

mongers

Quote from: katmai on April 30, 2017, 02:30:44 PM
From my mother-Beatles, Dylan, Billy Joel were albums that I recall from her collection.
My two cousins who moved in with us when I was seven tuned me in to - Earth, Wind & Fire, Police, B-52's, Talking Heads, Clash, Prince etc...

Here have some shades:

:cool:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

My dad usually kept the radio off. I discovered music on my own.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 30, 2017, 02:11:38 PM
French county western is such a weird concept.
that's mostly the only thing playing around here.   :glare:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Rex Francorum

My father was not that much interested in music but when it happened, it was mostly country/western.
My mother liked classical music. She was often singing opera arias. I guess she influenced me since I listen nothing except classical music. Strangely, I only became an avid mélomane in the 20s.
To rent

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on April 30, 2017, 03:25:07 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 30, 2017, 02:11:38 PM
French Canadian county western is such a weird concept.
that's mostly the only thing playing around here.   :glare:

Fixed!  :)

PDH

One of the seminal influences on my was a guy named Rich moving to town.  He came from Napa, and he liked punk and new wave.  I had already spent 6 or so years in Wyoming, so I didn't know of such things.  In the summer of 1979 I learned of a far wider musical scene.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Rex Francorum on April 30, 2017, 04:08:30 PM
. Strangely, I only became an avid mélomane in the 20s.

Did you ever see Stravinsky in concert?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

My grandmother never played music at our weekly family gatherings. 

My mother loved turning the radio on at all times.  I think she mostly wanted some sound in the background and hated the silence.  It could be people talking, giving lectures, or music.  So it was mostly whatever the radio happened to play at the time.  Mostly Canto-pop. 

My father had an expensive audio system and huge speakers which he rarely used.  I think he just considered it a must-have for his home.

My school was an elite school in HK known for its musical traditions.  That mostly means having a choir that was almost invincible in competitions.  My music teachers were professional choir trainers and managers.  We mostly sang during the weekly half hour music class, and the teacher used the opportunity to pick the best students to join the choir.  The school was also a Christian school, so we had to sing hymns every school day.  I still remember vividly when one year the school choir came in second place in some competition.  It was like the end of the world for these guys.

I was forced to learn playing the piano for eight years, like most other kids here.  I had weekly lessons by private tutors.  I was an absolutely awful piano player.  I didn't want to do it, and only played the piano in the most perfunctory fashion.