Main Menu

Your musical education

Started by viper37, April 30, 2017, 01:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 30, 2017, 04:23:47 PM
Fixed!  :)

Poorly so. :)

French Canadians have traveled the North American West since the 17th century; the Anglo-Irish folk music that emerged in the West in the 19th century had much in common with their own Irish/Scot-French country music. They brought back tunes. They contributed tunes.  It is no surprise that, later,  people found musical kinship, and interest, to the developments of country/folk in the United States.

The only excuse Franco-French have for their love of Dick Rivers' style "counetrie" is their impoverished, Hollywood-inspired, imagination of the North American West.
Que le grand cric me croque !

alfred russel

I received a formal music education in school. :) I think I had a music class that met once a week in something like grades 4 and 5. I was trained in how to play the recorder. I was handed a recorder and supervised to make sure I didn't try to use it as a weapon (students that did not use the recorder as a weapon got an "A" in the class). To this day, I have still never used a recorder as a weapon.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Savonarola

My parents were from the 60s; so a lot of folk music, the Clancy Brothers, the Weavers, Buffy St. Marie, The Kingston Trio, Pete Seeger, and Arlo Guthrie.  They didn't like Dylan; I had to discover him later, they did like Simon and Garfunkle, though.  Once the culture passed them by they bought more easy listening and show tunes.

My Grandparents never left the Jazz age.  While they grew up in the Big Band era, they liked some pretty avant garde stuff.  I had once bought over some albums to a family gathering.  When I had Smokey Robinson on my grandfather told me "Enough with this Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah crap, put Sun-Ra back on."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 30, 2017, 08:15:43 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 30, 2017, 04:23:47 PM
Fixed!  :)

Poorly so. :)

French Canadians have traveled the North American West since the 17th century; the Anglo-Irish folk music that emerged in the West in the 19th century had much in common with their own Irish/Scot-French country music. They brought back tunes. They contributed tunes.  It is no surprise that, later,  people found musical kinship, and interest, to the developments of country/folk in the United States.

The only excuse Franco-French have for their love of Dick Rivers' style "counetrie" is their impoverished, Hollywood-inspired, imagination of the North American West.

:secret:
Dick Rivers is not exactly loved in France, at least for people under 60 i.e people young in the '60s or 70s at most. For the others, it's ringard.
For someone mentioning Dick Rivers, you should know he plays (old-fashioned/Nostalgic nowadays) rock 'n roll, a bit like Johnny Hallyday. Nice try though. ;) Calling his style "counetrie, just shows how more interiorised is country music for you, unlike France. I was correcting Yi though, but once you again you take things personally.

If you want a good example of, uninspired, impoverished yet loved French version of American music, try French hip hop.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 30, 2017, 03:21:46 PM
My dad usually kept the radio off. I discovered music on my own.

Yeah, as far as my Dad was concerned, the Beach Boys were the alpha and omega, and everything else was just "bullshit" by "assholes."  "What is this bullshit?"  "Who are these assholes?" 

Mom's been listening to the same singers and showtunes for 40+ years, which is why I know waaaaay more Streisand/Reddy/Murray/ONJ/Manilow/Mathis/Minelli/Carpenters than I should.

My sister and I had to discover our own music, so our education was like wallpaper, all over the place.

celedhring

Mom is a huge 70s music fan - that's when she was a teen so it makes sense - so I grew up with David Bowie, Pink Floyd, Springsteen, Lou Reed, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, The Who... the likes.

Dad has never been much into music, he always had this Hooked On Classics tape in the car. God, I ended up hating that shit. Also some trashy Euro singers like Demis Roussos, Humperdink, shitloads of Italians. He liked Nat King Cole, too, that was alright.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on May 01, 2017, 05:39:05 PM
Mom is a huge 70s music fan - that's when she was a teen so it makes sense - so I grew up with David Bowie, Pink Floyd, Springsteen, Lou Reed, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, The Who... the likes.

Dad has never much into music, he always had this Hooked On Classics tape in the car. God, I ended up hating that shit. Also some trashy Euro singers like Demis Roussos. He liked Nat King Cole, too, that was alright.

Did you say your parents are divorced?  Asking for a friend.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 01, 2017, 05:42:48 PM

Dad has never much into music, he always had this Hooked On Classics tape in the car. God, I ended up hating that shit. Also some trashy Euro singers like Demis Roussos. He liked Nat King Cole, too, that was alright.

Did you say your parents are divorced?  Asking for a friend.

No. They might as well be though.

Rex Francorum

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 30, 2017, 04:49:25 PM
Quote from: Rex Francorum on April 30, 2017, 04:08:30 PM
. Strangely, I only became an avid mélomane in the 20s.

Did you ever see Stravinsky in concert?

:lmfao:

Yes, I was not impressed.  :sleep:
To rent

Syt

My Dad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu0zfvMhXNM
My Mom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beqVc3jTBSM
Both: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8YKETxJ3b0
When I grew up, I thought all parents liked music like that. I was sorely mistaken, with many preferring classic rock, blues etc.

My sisters: 80s pop, but also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUN8BVGHR_c

We had music class in school, which got me interested in classical music. Through school mates I later discovered metal and branched out into classic rock, etc. These days I can listen to pretty much anything except volksmusik and schlager (as linked).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

Quote from: alfred russel on May 01, 2017, 04:20:49 PM
I received a formal music education in school. :) I think I had a music class that met once a week in something like grades 4 and 5. I was trained in how to play the recorder. I was handed a recorder and supervised to make sure I didn't try to use it as a weapon (students that did not use the recorder as a weapon got an "A" in the class). To this day, I have still never used a recorder as a weapon.

Dammnit, I was sure it was Mr. 4Heisman in the conservatory with a recorder.

I did take piano lessons when I was in grade school.  I still play now and then, though I'm not at all good at it.  I think that helped develop my interest in classical music.

Oh, and I've never used a piano as a weapon. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Dad has never been much into music, he always had this Hooked On Classics tape in the car.

My parents had that on 8-track.  They also used to go to "Pops" concerts.  I thought it was okay at the time, but eventually I learned there was a great deal more to classical music than that.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

+ WQXR (classical - NY public radio) growing up (yes I'm a cliché) and my Dads album collection - virtually all classical.
+ As a small kid the sitters used to play the only three non-classical albums in my parent's collection on the record player.  To this day I know the words to all the songs in Sgt. Peppers . . .
+ School bus used to play mostly Top 40, later my ride to school played the local AOR station.

Much of the music I listen to now I didn't know anything about until around age 20.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

frunk

The radio was usually news or classical.  Opera on Saturdays.  Parent's albums were eclectic, with a lot of comedy (Steve Martin, Tom Lehrer, Bob Newhart, Allan Sherman, Spike Jones, Smothers Brothers) and a bit of mainstream (Beatles).

Older siblings filled out my education, with the Who, Queen, Weird Al, Scorpions and many others.