And we're back!

Main Menu

Your musical education

Started by viper37, April 30, 2017, 01:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on April 30, 2017, 03:25:07 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 30, 2017, 02:11:38 PM
French county western is such a weird concept.
that's mostly the only thing playing around here.   :glare:

Should be French country eastern.   ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on May 02, 2017, 12:32:46 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 30, 2017, 03:25:07 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 30, 2017, 02:11:38 PM
French county western is such a weird concept.
that's mostly the only thing playing around here.   :glare:

Should be French country eastern.   ;)
Well, apparently, there is a huge distinction between American country, Western and French Canadian country.  Not an expert, don't want to be one, so I don't really care however they call it ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

11B4V

Quote from: viper37 on April 30, 2017, 01:04:43 PM
The discussion about 80s music made me wonder...
What was your "musical education", what your parents were playing in the house, the music you heard at family parties?

In my case, it would look something like that:
Grand parents, every goddam family reunion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BQW_JllILk&feature=youtu.be

Parents:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMeT_8VP62Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHJPI0ilAJQ
That's the stuff I had to listen to on our long car trips. 

I think my musical tastes have evolved nicely over the years, considering my background :P

Cash, Jennings, Haggard, Coe, etc
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

My first record bought: Genesis Abacab. 1981.

SHUT UP.

Before that I listened to my older brothers albums.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 02, 2017, 07:51:13 PM
My first record bought: Genesis Abacab. 1981.

SHUT UP.

I see your 1981 allowance, and raise you my first paid-for LP: Hall and Oates, Private Eyes.

Valmy

My Dad was a huge music fan right until about 1975 so when I was a kid everything was from 1965 to 1975. It was kind of embarrassing when the other kids would make fun of me for listening to Paul Simon and the Rolling Stones instead of New Wave. NOW WHO IS LAME?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

In my music class, the kids could bring in their records. One day, somebody brought in AC/DC. We all got a lecture about the devil music that day from her.

I think it was For Those About To Rock. I mainly remember this nice young teacher flip the fuck out.

CountDeMoney

Fuck, I wasn't allowed to listen to any of that stuff back then...KISS, AC/DC, nothing like that.  Hell, I had to sneak in a friend's copy of Motley Crue's Shout at the Devil in a BASF cassette case.  Which I wrapped in a bag.  Which I buried at the bottom of my book bag.

viper37

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 02, 2017, 07:58:45 PM
In my music class, the kids could bring in their records. One day, somebody brought in AC/DC. We all got a lecture about the devil music that day from her.

I think it was For Those About To Rock. I mainly remember this nice young teacher flip the fuck out.
We had a documentary about the dangers of Heavy Metal while in (private) high school.  Right around the time some kid committed suicide after listening to a reversed Judas Priest tape (stuff we miss with the digital age  -_- ).
I guess it had a positive influence on my musical development. :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on May 02, 2017, 08:10:43 PM
Right around the time some kid committed suicide after listening to a reversed Judas Priest tape (stuff we miss with the digital age  -_- ).

Did it tell him to join the navy?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 02, 2017, 08:07:47 PM
Fuck, I wasn't allowed to listen to any of that stuff back then...KISS, AC/DC, nothing like that.  Hell, I had to sneak in a friend's copy of Motley Crue's Shout at the Devil in a BASF cassette case.  Which I wrapped in a bag.  Which I buried at the bottom of my book bag.

My closest friends&neighbours were forbidden by their parents to listen to most pop music while we were in elementary school.   Stuff like Michael Jackson, Boy George, Madonna.  Ah, religion.  :)

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 02, 2017, 08:07:47 PM

Man, we could listen to whatever we wanted. WASP's Fuck Like A Beast? Go ahead. Mom and Dad might roll their eyes at what they considered shitty music but didn't stop us kids.

Trying to find that WASP album in the dayton area? Good luck though.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on May 02, 2017, 08:12:25 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 02, 2017, 08:10:43 PM
Right around the time some kid committed suicide after listening to a reversed Judas Priest tape (stuff we miss with the digital age  -_- ).

Did it tell him to join the navy?
I'm afraid I do not understand the reference.  I didn't have access to cable tv at the time, so I wouldn't know much of US navy recruitement ads :)

But for the Judas Priest thing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judas_Priest#Subliminal_message_trial
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/judas-priest-suicide/

Thank God we're beyond that now.   :wacko:

Valmy

There was a spoof of the secret backwards messages in pop songs thing in the Simpsons where the Navy was using it to brainwash people into enlisting. Eva Neht Nioj!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 02, 2017, 08:12:32 PM
Man, we could listen to whatever we wanted. WASP's Fuck Like A Beast? Go ahead. Mom and Dad might roll their eyes at what they considered shitty music but didn't stop us kids.

Trying to find that WASP album in the dayton area? Good luck though.

I got more room to operate once I was around 14 or so;  by 15, I had absorbed the entire AC/DC catalog;  on my own, though. 

My parents weren't biblethumpers or anything, they were more of a practical-bordering-on-Benedictine types; they just weren't going to buy it for me, and they didn't want to hear it (got me great headphones for me one Xmas). 

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 01, 2017, 05:12:42 PMYeah, as far as my Dad was concerned, the Beach Boys were the alpha and omega, and everything else was just "bullshit" by "assholes."  "What is this bullshit?"  "Who are these assholes?"

Think Red from That 70's Show.  VAN HALEN? MORE LIKE VAN DUMBASS