News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Foootball 2017

Started by grumbler, April 01, 2017, 07:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 12, 2018, 05:32:48 PM
Cc that's where the aging comes in. Reassemble Phi Slamma jamma in the early 90s and you have a competitive team.

I don't think so.  Sure you get Clyde and the Dream, and a few other functional NBA Players. Can that team play a full NBA season with success - no chance.  One game against a bad NBA team?  Maybe if the matchups are right and the other team shoots really poorly.   In basketball the better example is any team with Michael Jordan in his prime.  But that just illustrates the problem with the football example - too many players needed.

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 12, 2018, 05:22:54 PM

Sure but that is never going to happen in either scenario

Basketball is actually a good example of why.  Even with only 5 players on the court there is no one College team who would ever stack up against an NBA team.  The matchup problem goes up significantly more when matching all the offensive, defensive and special teams players of a football team.  Even if the college team produces a number of all stars there is still going to be considerable weaknesses the NFL team can exploit.

In the last 4 years, Alabama has had 32 players drafted, 8 in the first round. Some guys aren't there for 4 years of course (but then some are there for 5). There are 7 rounds in the NFL draft, so the average NFL team drafted 28 players, and 4 in the first round.

I'm not going to do the math, but I'd guess during the past few years there have been points in time that there were more people on Alabama that will get an NFL paycheck than is allowed to be on an NFL team.

There are also guys that transferred because of lack of playing time and ended up with bright NFL careers. For example, Alvin Kamara transferred from Alabama because he couldn't get on the field, and just finished his rookie season as an all pro and may be rookie of the year (so he isn't in the draft stats above, but would have been on the team a few years ago).

The major difference from basketball is that the average NFL career is absurdly short. The better players last longer, but by 30 people are really old at most positions. It is a factor that lowers the average talent of the NFL compared to college.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 12, 2018, 05:44:25 PM

I don't think so.  Sure you get Clyde and the Dream, and a few other functional NBA Players. Can that team play a full NBA season with success - no chance.  One game against a bad NBA team?  Maybe if the matchups are right and the other team shoots really poorly.   In basketball the better example is any team with Michael Jordan in his prime.  But that just illustrates the problem with the football example - too many players needed.

I think basketball is harder:

1) Careers are a lot longer, which makes the talent gap from pro to college much larger,
2) There are a lot more competitive college programs in basketball. I'm checking rivals right now, and they have 22 committed 5 star players. 10 of them are to 2 schools, and 16 are to 5 schools.
3) While NBA careers can be long, college careers are very short for the best players. The NFL requires you to be out of high school 3 years, and based on the nature of the sport a lot of even good players stay in school longer (men need time in the weight room).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on January 12, 2018, 05:48:30 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 12, 2018, 05:22:54 PM

Sure but that is never going to happen in either scenario

Basketball is actually a good example of why.  Even with only 5 players on the court there is no one College team who would ever stack up against an NBA team.  The matchup problem goes up significantly more when matching all the offensive, defensive and special teams players of a football team.  Even if the college team produces a number of all stars there is still going to be considerable weaknesses the NFL team can exploit.

In the last 4 years, Alabama has had 32 players drafted, 8 in the first round. Some guys aren't there for 4 years of course (but then some are there for 5). There are 7 rounds in the NFL draft, so the average NFL team drafted 28 players, and 4 in the first round.

I'm not going to do the math, but I'd guess during the past few years there have been points in time that there were more people on Alabama that will get an NFL paycheck than is allowed to be on an NFL team.

There are also guys that transferred because of lack of playing time and ended up with bright NFL careers. For example, Alvin Kamara transferred from Alabama because he couldn't get on the field, and just finished his rookie season as an all pro and may be rookie of the year (so he isn't in the draft stats above, but would have been on the team a few years ago).

The major difference from basketball is that the average NFL career is absurdly short. The better players last longer, but by 30 people are really old at most positions. It is a factor that lowers the average talent of the NFL compared to college.

I thought you were talking about a particular college team (ie from a particular year).  If you go through all the players who have ever played for a particular program and cheery pick all the best players from the decades the program has existed, playing in their professional prime, then that might be possible.

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 12, 2018, 06:03:32 PM

I thought you were talking about a particular college team (ie from a particular year).  If you go through all the players who have ever played for a particular program and cheery pick all the best players from the decades the program has existed, playing in their professional prime, then that might be possible.

That might be possible???? That would definitely be possible.

That is also not what I was talking about. All that talent that I was mentioning for Alabama? That was there at one time!*

Not really though - if you take the 2013 team, that would have been drafted from 2014-2017 assuming a 4 year career, some guys leave in 3, but some would be around for 5 or even 6. Some guys that were on the 2013 team like Alvin Kamara transferred out but still became NFL stars.

Eddie Teach

Cc that's where the aging comes in. Reassemble Phi Slamma jamma in the early 90s and you have a competitive team.

You forget Clyde and Hakeem won 2 championships with functional teammates.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on January 12, 2018, 05:48:30 PM

The reason that the average NFL career is so short is because the average is dragged down by all the guys who have very short careers because unless you were a top pick or play your way into a starting job, they can replace you after a year or so with someone just as good but cheaper.  With the size of NFL rosters, there are plenty of guys who aren't starters and who weren't top picks, and the teams have very little invested in them.  In the NBA, even most bench players were first-round picks, so teams have a good bit already invested in them and aren't going to be so quick to replace them unless the potential replacement is clearly better.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 12, 2018, 06:38:19 PM

You forget Clyde and Hakeem won 2 championships with functional teammates.

Yeah, you raise a fair point.

Valmy

Please. Robert Horry, Vernon Maxwell, and Kenny Smith were a bit more than just functional.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

katmai

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 12, 2018, 02:50:15 PM
2000 Hurricanes couldn't even beat the Unviersity of Washington. 
Hey now!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Quote from: Berkut on January 12, 2018, 02:45:45 PM
Sources are saying that Niumatalolo was offered the job...
Sounds like your starting QB isn't too thrilled.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

dps

I still haven't seen any confirmation that he's been offered the job.

Berkut

Quote from: dps on January 13, 2018, 12:59:56 PM

I still haven't seen any confirmation that he's been offered the job.

Yeah, nothing confirmed yet.

QuoteNavy's Ken Niumatalolo, who has a personal connection to Arizona's glory days, has emerged as the leading contender for the Wildcats' coaching job.

Niumatalolo has been offered the position, a source close to the situation told the Star. When asked if Niumatalolo was going to get the Arizona job, a separate source who has been privy to the negotiations said: "I would not be surprised."

Niumatalolo was unexpectedly absent from the Navy football offices Friday, but is expected to meet with his staff — which has been in the dark about his plans and recent whereabouts — on Saturday morning. Niumatalolo could be telling the staff goodbye, or it could be business as usual. Like many schools, Navy is set to host recruits this weekend.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcats/football/navy-s-ken-niumatalolo-appears-to-be-top-option-for/article_a9c52c44-9b24-53e3-9dd8-7b39039122a1.html
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

Odd...I mean, you have one of the best young quarterbacks in the country, and you want to hire a coach with an offensive background that has spent the past 15 years in the triple option...even if he isn't going to run the triple option at Arizona, he would be running a scheme that is totally new to him.

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on January 13, 2018, 01:41:02 PM
Odd...I mean, you have one of the best young quarterbacks in the country, and you want to hire a coach with an offensive background that has spent the past 15 years in the triple option...even if he isn't going to run the triple option at Arizona, he would be running a scheme that is totally new to him.

Just hire a good offensive assistant coach?