News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Foootball 2017

Started by grumbler, April 01, 2017, 07:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

I suspect that out of all the people involved, there is exactly one, who thinks your claim that Miami could have played against NFL teams has been vindicated.

And that would be you.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on January 09, 2018, 01:04:20 PM
I suspect that out of all the people involved, there is exactly one, who thinks your claim that Miami could have played against NFL teams has been vindicated.

And that would be you.

If you took the 2000 Miami Hurricanes, waited a few years until their average age was 24 or so, reconstituted them as an NFL team with NFL coaches, weight training, practices, etc, they would beat NFL teams.

I doubt I'm the only one that thinks this.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Savonarola

He may be a supervillain, but he's our supervillain:

QuoteGov. Rick Scott declares UCF national champions

TALLAHASSEE – Gov. Rick Scott, jumping on the crowded UCF bandwagon, issued a proclamation Monday declaring the Knights the true national champions of the 2017 NCAA football season.

"Florida is home to the country's best college football, and this season, UCF proved to the world that they can beat any team," Scott said in a released statement. "Charge On."

The proclamation has no legal bearing and doesn't have affect the official championship.

Alabama and Georgia are set to play each other Monday night in the official championship game, but that hasn't stopped UCF and its fans from claiming a national title.

UCF's perfect 13-0 season ended with a 34-27 victory over the Auburn Tigers in the Peach Bowl on New Year's Day. Since Auburn was the only team to defeat both Alabama and Georgia during the season, UCF is the best team in the country, administrators and fans argue.

UCF athletic director ignited the conversation by declaring "national champions" within earshot of TV cameras after the Peach Bowl victory. UCF quarterback McKenzie Milton followed it up by telling interviewers, "I guess you can cancel the playoffs now."

Central Florida politicians have also started backing the claim. Local lawmakers said they'd support a resolution declaring the Knights champions.

Rep. Mike Miller, R-Orlando, also wrote to President Donald Trump suggesting he invite the Knights to the White House, as is customary for national title winners.

Chief Financial Officer Jimmy Patronis also invited the team to the Florida Capitol to celebrate the season.

Read the text of the proclamation below:

WHEREAS, Florida is home to the country's best college football, having claimed 11 national championships between the University of Florida, the University of Miami and Florida State University; and

WHEREAS, the University of Central Florida (UCF) Knights won the American Athletic Conference Championship by beating the Memphis Tigers, 62-55, on December 2, 2017; and

WHEREAS, on January 1, 2018, the UCF Knights completed an undefeated football season by beating the Auburn Tigers in the Peach Bowl, 34-27; and

WHEREAS, the UCF Knights are the only undefeated team in NCAA Division I football this season; and

WHEREAS, on November 11, 2017, the Auburn Tigers, who lost to the UCF Knights, beat the Georgia Bulldogs, 40-17; and

WHEREAS, on November 25, 2017, the Auburn Tigers, who lost to the UCF Knights, beat the Alabama Crimson Tide, 26-14; and

WHEREAS, the College Football Playoff final on Monday, January 8, 2018, is between the Alabama Crimson Tide and the Georgia Bulldogs, who both lost to the Auburn Tigers, who lost to the UCF Knights;

NOW, THEREFORE, I, Rick Scott, Governor of the State of Florida, do hereby proclaim that the UCF Knights are this season's best college football team and will be recognized as the 2017 College Football National Champions in Florida.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Great Seal of the State of Florida to be affixed at Tallahassee, the Capital, this 8th day of January, in the year two thousand eighteen.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

MadBurgerMaker

Was Ken Dorsey the QB?

E:  of 2000 Miami. 

Berkut

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 09, 2018, 01:13:47 PM
Was Ken Dorsey the QB?

He was.

Like the rest of that Miami team, he went on to dominate the NFL.

0 rows returned

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on January 09, 2018, 01:17:47 PM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 09, 2018, 01:13:47 PM
Was Ken Dorsey the QB?

He was.

Like the rest of that Miami team, he went on to dominate the NFL.

Unlike a Large number of players on that team, he did not dominate in the nfl, though he was an nfl qb and started some games.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Grey Fox

Quote from: alfred russel on January 09, 2018, 01:06:44 PM

And that would be you.

If you took the 2000 Miami Hurricanes, waited a few years until their average age was 24 or so, reconstituted them as an NFL team with NFL coaches, weight training, practices, etc, they would beat NFL teams.

So you mean you take the 2000 Hurricanes team, in 2004, that using NFL schedule they could beat NFL Teams?

Could 24 year old Ken Dorsey of Miami beat 24 year old Ken Dorsey of San Francisco?

Because the 49ers were the worse team then.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

alfred russel

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 09, 2018, 01:24:13 PM
So you mean you take the 2000 Hurricanes team, in 2004, that using NFL schedule they could beat NFL Teams?

Could 24 year old Ken Dorsey of Miami beat 24 year old Ken Dorsey of San Francisco?

Exactly.

Berkut

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 09, 2018, 01:24:13 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 09, 2018, 01:06:44 PM

And that would be you.

That was not his original claim at all, of course.

He originally claimed that the 2000 Hurricanes could play in the NFL, straight up.

He added the "aging" bit later after he was mocked mercislessly, which is why it became such a meme/languish shorthand for idiocy.

Of course, even the 2004 Hurricanes would have had their clocked cleaned by any NFL team. Because you don't get to just have the 22 starters playing - you have to have backups as well. So take the top 50 players on the Hurricanes, and there are plenty there who are not starters in the NFL, or even IN the NFL at all. And the Ken Dorseys as well, who never made it as a starter in the NFL at all.

0 rows returned

Grey Fox

I think the Fighting Irish of '43 could compete in the NFL for about a half against the 2017 Cleveland Browns.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on January 09, 2018, 01:55:23 PM

He originally claimed that the 2000 Hurricanes could play in the NFL, straight up.

I did no such thing. The 2000 hurricanes could not beat an NFL team straight up. I do not believe that now, and I never did.

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on January 09, 2018, 02:08:18 PM

I did no such thing. The 2000 hurricanes could not beat an NFL team straight up. I do not believe that now, and I never did.

I don't know if you believed it, but you sure as hell said it, and hence the laughing at you over it.

Otherwise, the entire "...if you aged them" them thing wouldn't even be funny. It was such an obvious attempt on your part to get out of a idiotic statement you were unwilling to just say you were wrong about. The fact that years and years later you STILL cling to that is even funnier.

0 rows returned

alfred russel

Of course, even the 2004 Hurricanes would have had their clocked cleaned by any NFL team. Because you don't get to just have the 22 starters playing - you have to have backups as well. So take the top 50 players on the Hurricanes, and there are plenty there who are not starters in the NFL, or even IN the NFL at all. And the Ken Dorseys as well, who never made it as a starter in the NFL at all.

And here is where you are wrong.

There are 85 players on scholarship on a college team. Every few years a team really starts cranking in terms of recruiting. Miami was like that ~2000, USC a few years later, and Alabama now.

I can't find the study, but someone looked at the percentage of players on a team that were rated 4 or 5 star in recruiting. It turned out that only about 10 teams in college football are over 50% in any given year, but that every national champion in the past few years has been one of the 10. This year, among the playoff teams, only Oklahoma was under 50%. UGA and Clemson were just over 50%.

Alabama is close to 90%.

If you have 85 guys on a team, almost all of whom were elite coming out of high school, and then by encouragement, or lack of playing time, the less able transfer and churn more quickly, you can stockpile talent in a way that even NFL teams struggle. Then if you only have to pick 50 or so guys for a hypothetical NFL team, you can pick only the most talented.

There were whispers that Clinton Portis turned pro early from Miami because he was about to lose his playing time to Frank Gore and Willis McGahee.

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on January 09, 2018, 02:10:11 PM

I don't know if you believed it, but you sure as hell said it, and hence the laughing at you over it.

Otherwise, the entire "...if you aged them" them thing wouldn't even be funny. It was such an obvious attempt on your part to get out of a idiotic statement you were unwilling to just say you were wrong about. The fact that years and years later you STILL cling to that is even funnier.

I never said it. I read through the thread when I decided not to delete it.

I was trolling at the start, trying to get dogpiled, with an eye toward getting people to listen to how ridiculously talented Miami was. I bragged that Miami had more talent than NFL teams. I thought I'd then justify that by pointing out that it was in fact the case, but I made the argument too soon - people couldn't appreciate how talented the guys were (for example, you refused to acknowledge Andre Johnson as a great NFL talent because you hadn't heard of him--he hadn't yet established himself in the pros).

Eddie Teach

Now that the aging joke has been explained to me... still not very funny. /shrug
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?