What do you read from if you are doing a filibuster in the Senate?

Started by jimmy olsen, February 15, 2017, 06:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

You've been appointed to an open senate seat in your state by the governor (or you've been elected in a by election, whatever) and you're gearing up to filibuster a bill you hate. What do are you going to read out loud to fill the time?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

MadBurgerMaker

An irritating Mystery Science Theater type commentary over a Lord of the Rings marathon.  Plug one of those little portable projectors into my phone and voila:  everyone is unhappy.

Valmy

I would read the complete works of Aristotle in their original Attic Greek.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 15, 2017, 06:53:58 PM
You've been appointed to an open senate seat in your state by the governor (or you've been elected in a by election, whatever) and you're gearing up to filibuster a bill you hate. What do are you going to read out loud to fill the time?

I will never filibuster a bill I hate.  I vote against it, but never filibuster. 

HVC

The bible. The republicans wouldn't dare stop a holy endeavour.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on February 15, 2017, 08:33:53 PM
The bible. The republicans wouldn't dare stop a holy endeavour.

Nice. Make sure to throw in all the apocrypha.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 15, 2017, 06:59:22 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 15, 2017, 06:55:38 PM
Nothing, since they killed that requirement.

They brought it back just for you.

What do you read?

Nothing. I let one of the other 40 Senators against the bill handle it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Let's assume I'm a Democrat.

I'm reading the Bible, than the Coran, than a Hindu book.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.