What do you read from if you are doing a filibuster in the Senate?

Started by jimmy olsen, February 15, 2017, 06:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 15, 2017, 09:43:43 PM
Let's assume I'm a Democrat.

I'm reading the Bible, than the Coran, than a Hindu book.

Do the Koran last, they'll stop your ass fast on that one.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

I'm reading The Deluge atm. That one seems suitable. Wait a minute, Swedes are bad guys?  :huh:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

Quote from: HVC on February 15, 2017, 08:33:53 PM
The bible. The republicans wouldn't dare stop a holy endeavour.

Good one.  :D

I'd read the most inane materials I know of to bore my opposition into submission. Probably a complete anthology of Tim posts.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Drakken

Each and all of the contemporary reviews of the time who tore Atlas Shrugged to shreds and concluded that it sucks as a novel AND a philosophical treatise - including the one by Soviet double agent Whittaker Chambers.

All that, while looking straight at Paul Ryan all the time.

Zanza

The secondary legislation of the European Union. That's about 200,000 pages. Should be sufficient to filibuster until the next election.

Syt

I would probably go with the works of Shakespeare. And voice act each role.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

The Brain

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 16, 2017, 01:58:06 PM
I'm reading The Deluge atm. That one seems suitable. Wait a minute, Swedes are bad guys?  :huh:

Do I scare you?

Do you want me to?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Any public speaker worth his salt doesn't read from anything in such a situation;  he speaks extemporaneously.

The Brain

I would put forth a slice... nay a cake of personal philosophy.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on February 16, 2017, 07:15:15 PM
OvB's Collected Posts, 2009-present.

Some good posts in there

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 25, 2011, 10:40:09 PM
I would consider 1859 America a Democracy. A modern Democracy? No. But it wasn't the modern era, it was 1859. By any normal standard of categorizing governments "democratic Republic" is the most mainstream term that would fit with 1859 America. Politicians were very susceptible to the vagaries of public opinion, elections in which many persons participated genuinely elected leaders and etc.

An oligarchy is a lot different, so to say that an oligarchy and a Democracy with a restrictive franchise are the same thing isn't really true.

That being said it matters not the type of government, slaves have an absolute right to rebellion, period. No slave does wrong when they kill in order to end their enslavement, further, no man does wrong when he kills a slave owner or a protector of slave owners. Those who take and keep slaves are "enemies of mankind" (Hostis humani generis) and in the absence of government that addresses this the ancient and natural laws take over and individuals have a right to use violence and homicide to stop evil actions.

Now, where I get off the train is John Brown's raid was insanely stupid. No rational actor would have believed it had any chance for success, further, it had virtually no chance of even starting a proper slave rebellion. Further still, John Brown basically killed a few innocent people in a small town in Virginia that was not a major plantation area, the people killed by John Brown were townsfolk, not plantation owners. One of the people killed in the raid was just a train baggage handler passing through. They also killed one of the marines that stormed "the fort", but that's sort of the name of the game in that regard. Nat Turner lead a slave revolt, Spartacus lead a slave revolt, John Brown just murdered a few random people and then got his followers killed or executed in short order.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point