News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Penn State's Child Rape Cover Up

Started by jimmy olsen, July 01, 2012, 06:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

How would the NCAA have used this power in this situation?  Would they have fired Paterno before evidence came out that he was protecting Sandusky?

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 19, 2012, 07:52:42 AM
Wow, that's a hell of a penalty. Can't see them actually doing that though, it would cost to much money.

http://chronicle.com/blogs/players/jim-delany-wants-the-power-to-fire-coaches/30771

Jim Delany Wants the Power to Fire Coaches

July 19, 2012, 7:24 am

By Brad Wolverton

The Big Ten is mulling a proposal that would give its commissioner, already one of the most powerful men in college sports, the authority to fire coaches himself, The Chronicle reports today.

The proposal, part of a plan being circulated among Big Ten leaders, would give James E. Delany, who has overseen the league since 1989, and a powerful committee of conference presidents the ability to penalize individual members of an institution, should their actions significantly harm the league's reputation.

The sanctions, spelled out in a document obtained by The Chronicle, could include financial penalties, suspension, or termination of employment.

The proposal, which has not been approved, is part of an 18-page plan prompted by problems at Penn State, where a former assistant football coach repeatedly molested children on campus property while university leaders turned a blind eye.

The ideas are designed in part to root out problems that could include coaches or athletic officials who interfere with normal admissions, compliance, hiring, or disciplinary processes, the document says.

The plan calls for Big Ten universities to empower presidents and athletic directors and have policies to dissuade rogue boosters and trustees with inappropriate involvement in programs from trying to influence university leaders' decisions.

Big Ten officials are still in the early stages of debating how to handle fallout from the scandal. Among other ideas, the league's presidents and chancellors could consider removing Penn State from the conference, one Big Ten leader told The Chronicle.

The Big Ten Conference Handbook, which governs the league's operations, does not contain language addressing a situation as egregious as what happened at Penn State.

But the conference's bylaws prescribe potentially severe penalties for member institutions that break lesser rules. Any Big Ten university that employs or retains workers who intentionally falsify or deliberately fail to provide complete and accurate information during an investigation may be required to "show cause why its membership in the conference should not be suspended or terminated," the Big Ten's 2011-12 handbook says.

At least four top Penn State officials—including Graham B. Spanier, the former president, and Timothy M. Curley, the athletic director on administrative leave—failed to paint an accurate picture of how much they knew about Jerry Sandusky, the former coach convicted on 45 counts of child sex abuse, according to an  independent report released last week. Both Spanier and Curley were part of a culture that tried to "actively conceal" abuse by the former coach, the report said.

The Big Ten's 12-member Council of Presidents and Chancellors must approve any decision to suspend, expel, or place on probation any member of the conference. According to the conference handbook, expulsion requires a vote of not less than 60 percent of the full council (a Big Ten spokesman said that figure is actually 70 percent, or eight members, which will be reflected in the 2012-13 handbook).

The Big Ten does not have a contingency scheduling plan should Penn State's football team be banned from playing this or any season, a senior league official told The Chronicle. But fallout from the scandal has many Big Ten leaders on edge.

"This whole situation is unprecedented," said Sally Mason, president of the University of Iowa and chair of the Council of Presidents and Chancellors. "It's sports-related, but there were very significant moral, legal, and institutional failures."

She and her colleagues plan to discuss those problems in coming weeks, but she has no early sign of what they may decide. "Until all of our presidents and chancellors sit down and talk in depth," she said, "I have no idea of what the outcome is likely to be, and I wouldn't want to predict."

If they go through with it, it'll likely result in a war to reduce commissioner authority in the Big Ten.
How many levies can Jim of Delany raise?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Ed Anger

QuoteHow many levies can Jim of Delany raise?

Urban Meyer at Ohio State has raised the flag of rebellion!

My Lord! The couches have been burned at Michigan State!

Brady Hoke at Michigan declines your invite to the feast. MANGY DOG!

Indiana is revolting. Yes it is, my Lord.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

sbr

jimmy olsen

Burn the damn stadium to the ground and salt the ashes.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/sandusky-case-bombshell-did-6-penn-state-coaches-witness-abuse-n569526
Sandusky Case Bombshell: Did 6 Penn State Coaches Witness Abuse?

by Tom Winter, Hannah Rappleye and Tracy Connor

As many as six assistant coaches at Penn State witnessed "inappropriate behavior" between Jerry Sandusky and boys, stretching as far back as the 1970s, NBC News has learned.

It is unclear if any of the men reported what they saw to higher-ups at Penn State before the sex-abuse scandal erupted in 2011.

The information, which comes from court documents and multiple sources with direct knowledge of legal proceedings, raises new questions about how long the abuse went on, why no one stopped it and whether there could be even more victims than previously known.

Sandusky — who worked in the football program at Penn State under legendary head coach Joe Paterno for three decades — is serving 30 to 60 years in prison after being convicted of molesting 10 boys he met through a charity starting in 1994.

But sources told NBC News that one former Penn State assistant coach witnessed an incident in the late 1970s. Three other coaches — who have gone on to work in the NFL and at Division I colleges — allegedly saw inappropriate conduct between Sandusky and boys in the early and mid-1990s.

"You won't believe what I just saw," one of those three coaches blurted out after bursting into a room filled with Penn State football staff, according to sources who spoke to a person who was in that room.

A lawyer for one of the three '90s coaches denied his client had seen anything. A second coach declined to comment. A third could not be reached, and the name of the fourth was not disclosed to NBC News.

Bolstering the sources' account, Sandusky's adopted son, Matt, who says he also was molested, told NBC News that investigators informed him a football program employee witnessed what he believed to be a sex act between Matt and Sandusky in a locker room in the early 1990s.

In addition to the four assistants detailed by sources, court papers made public this week point to two more coaches who allegedly witnessed what was described as "inappropriate" or "sexual" contact between Sandusky and children in 1987 and 1988.

Those same documents also revealed that a child allegedly told Joe Paterno he was molested by Sandusky in 1976 — 25 years earlier than Paterno acknowledged hearing about Sandusky in a shower with a child.

Those papers are tied to a legal dispute between Penn State and an insurance company over who should pay the university's share of $60 million in settlements to 26 victims, and the court was not required to verify the allegations.

Asked about the four coaches detailed by NBC's sources, Penn State released a written statement.

"The university is facing and has faced a number of litigation matters and claims related to the Sandusky events. Allegations of various kinds have been made, and will likely continue to be made," it said.

"The university does not speculate publicly or hypothesize about individual allegations. These are sensitive matters, and we want to be respectful of the rights of all individuals involved. It would be inappropriate to do otherwise."

Sandusky, 72, recently petitioned for a new trial.

Paterno died of lung cancer in 2012, months after being fired as head coach amid allegations he knew about Sandusky's abuse and failed to act.

His family is hitting back at the claim that he knew about Sandusky's crimes back in 1976.

"Because of a single sentence in a court record of an insurance case, Joe Paterno's reputation has once again been smeared with an unsubstantiated, forty year old allegation," the family said in a written statement.

"Over the past four and a half years, numerous allegations that were taken as fact when they were initially communicated have been proven false. It is in this context that the latest claim should be viewed."

Penn State said it could not comment on the allegation that a child told Paterno he had been abused.

"The university has no records from the time to help evaluate the claims. More importantly, Coach Paterno is not here to defend himself. Penn State does not intend to comment further, out of concern for privacy, and due to the strict confidentiality commitments that govern our various settlement agreements."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Valmy

The idea that JoePa didn't know what was going on or took appropriate action only existed in the minds of the brainwashed Penn State "supporters".
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

To what does "happy valley" refer for Penn State fans?

a) The region of Pennsylvania housing Penn State, referred to as Happy Valley as it was spared the worst of the Great Depression
b) Beaver Stadium, with its towering multi deck seating along the sidelines, which is one of the largest stadiums in the world
c) a young boy's buttcrack 
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

viper37

Like father, like son?

Jeffrey Sandusky, the son of the former Penn State assistant who was convicted in the school's child sexual-abuse scandal, was arrested Monday by Pennsylvania State Police and charged with sexually assaulting a child.

Sandusky, 41, was arraigned in Bellefonte, Pa., after what WTAJ-TV reports was an investigation that began last November, in which a child claimed to have received text messages from Sandusky, including some that asked for naked photographs.

[...]
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

dps

Quote from: viper37 on February 13, 2017, 05:15:27 PM
Like father, like son?

It's not unlikely that he was molested by his father, and supposedly people who are molested as kids often grow up to be molesters themselves, so quite possibly, yeah.