News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Penn State's Child Rape Cover Up

Started by jimmy olsen, July 01, 2012, 06:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on July 16, 2012, 01:13:21 AM
Why do you guys have college football in the first place? Most countries do not have anything remotely like this.

That is how American Football started.  Colleges playing each other.  It had been going on between Colleges for 50 years before the pro league was set up.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Why do you guys have college football in the first place? Most countries do not have anything remotely like this.

I think it's an extension of the English public school tradition.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 16, 2012, 11:00:12 PM
Not unexpected, I'm sure the main reason Sandusky founded the 2nd mile was to troll for victims.

Good work there, detective.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 17, 2012, 05:09:41 AM
Not unexpected, I'm sure the main reason Sandusky founded the 2nd mile was to troll for victims.

I don't have to take that from you, the biggest case you ever cracked was a case of bud light.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 17, 2012, 06:09:53 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 17, 2012, 05:09:41 AM

I don't have to take that from you, the biggest case you ever cracked was a case of bud light.

As if the fact that the defensive coordinator in one of the premier programs in the nation never pursued a head coaching job anywhere, ever, wasn't enough of a fucking hint.

So yeah, you do have to take it, cancer magnet.  You fucking moron.  GEE PEDOPHILE CREATES OWN INSTITUTIONALIZED PLA-DOH FUN FACTORY OF KIDDIE FUCKING FOR ASS ON TAP AND WONT LEAVE IT

What a shocking ass surprise.  But hey, 9 months after the story breaks you're sure the main reason he found 2nd Mile was to farm victims.  Way to go, Monk.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 16, 2012, 04:12:11 AM

I think it's an extension of the English public school tradition.

Yes, and while "football" (called that because it was the sport played by the foot soldiers) evolved in the last half of the nineteenth century into association football (aka footy or soccer) and rugby football in Britain, it evolved into American football in the US.  Rugby football is probably closest to the original concept of football.

Footy has become much more popular than the other kinds because it requires so much less equipment and is so much easier to learn.  So latecomers like Poland tended to go for that version.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: grumbler on July 17, 2012, 07:32:51 AM

Footy has become much more popular than the other kinds because it requires so much less equipment and is so much easier to learn.  So latecomers like Poland tended to go for that version.

I've found that basketball is surprisingly popular, especially in urban Asia, for similar reasons.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

I think the role of class in the UK matters too.  Generally it became the working class sport (though not in some parts of the North or Wales) and lots of countries picked it up from British sailors and dockers.  At least I think that's the origin myth of many major football teams in Argentina, Spain, Italy etc.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 17, 2012, 11:00:54 AM
I think the role of class in the UK matters too.  Generally it became the working class sport (though not in some parts of the North or Wales) and lots of countries picked it up from British sailors and dockers. 

Absolutely.  That's why it was know as "foot" ball - the "foot" (foot soldiers) played it, while the "horse" (the mounted nobility) played what was probably proto-polo.  Foot ball was encouraged because it kept the foot fit and entertained, and it didn't require much equipment because, really, who wants to spend money on a game for the unwashed?

It transitioned to footy because of the desire to avoid the violent injuries, and became even more popular.  American football added equipment to accomplish that task, though somewhat later, and will almost certainly never be as popular because only pre-existing popularity (from the days when it was still violent and dangerous) can really justify the expense.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on July 17, 2012, 10:08:52 AM

I've found that basketball is surprisingly popular, especially in urban Asia, for similar reasons.

In urban areas, basketball has an advantage over baseball and football (all varieties), because basketball courts require less space.

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on July 17, 2012, 07:36:30 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on July 17, 2012, 10:08:52 AM

In urban areas, basketball has an advantage over baseball and football (all varieties), because basketball courts require less space.

That and it is a superior sport.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

crazy canuck

The freaks are those that are height challenged.