News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A new Kosovo Crisis?

Started by Syt, January 17, 2017, 09:52:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Solmyr on January 20, 2017, 01:06:23 AM
Isn't his son-in-law part of the  :Joos ?

They love the Jews, as long as they live in Armageddon Land The Holy Land.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on January 19, 2017, 09:22:12 PM
So those are the only two options? Isolationism and some kind of ideology based on collective rights? Not buying it.
A great President, according to those who voted him in office anyway, once said "You're with us or against us". ;)

And yeah picking a side in those conflicts listed would not only make us party to atrocities but would get us mixed up in interminable and endless struggles. I think stopping the massacre in Rwanda (which, in any case, we did not do anyway) does not require one to pick up the Tutsi flag. There are other reasons to oppose genocide than that.
The situation in Rwanda was different, namely because there weren't clear geographical lines between Huttus and Tutsis.

In many cases however, there are clear territorial demarcations between both groups.  Is it perfect with 100% of the population on each side of the line?  No.  Should seperation be encouraged?  No.  But once two groups have proven they can't live together and one wants out and not live under the domination of the other, it should be allowed to leave, democratically.  And if one side is committing atrocities against the other and the only solutions are to keep a peacekeeping force for a century or allow the split, then the split should be the viable option.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on January 21, 2017, 12:48:16 AM
So those are the only two options? Isolationism and some kind of ideology based on collective rights? Not buying it.
A great President, according to those who voted him in office anyway, once said "You're with us or against us". ;)

Which president said that about Kossovo?  :huh:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: viper37 on January 21, 2017, 12:48:16 AM

The folks who made Trump the nominee didn't like Bush at all.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 22, 2017, 07:20:43 PM
The folks who made Trump the nominee didn't like Bush at all.
AFAIK, Republicans vote for the Republican nominee.  They are the same people who voted for Bush in his time.  They are the same people who defended all his actions.  Now that it turned bad, they say they never liked him.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.