And we're back!

Main Menu

A new Kosovo Crisis?

Started by Syt, January 17, 2017, 09:52:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-serbia-kosovo-president-idUSKBN15022Y

QuoteSerbia wants to annex part of Kosovo using 'Crimea model': president

Serbia plans to seize a slice of northern Kosovo just as Russia annexed Ukraine's Crimea region in 2014, Kosovo's president told Reuters on Monday, as the two Balkan neighbors trade accusations of wanting to ignite a new regional war.

Kosovo special police units on Saturday prevented a train painted in Serbia's national colors and bearing the words "Kosovo is Serbia" from crossing the border.

Serbia does not recognize the independence of Kosovo, its former province, and did not seek Pristina's permission for the passage of the train, which it paid for and organized. On Sunday Serbia's president, Tomislav Nikolic, said Kosovo's action had shown it wanted war with Belgrade.

Kosovo's President Hashim Thaci said the train was aimed at "provoking" Kosovars in order to create a pretext for Serbia to intervene militarily and annex northern areas of Kosovo, home to some 50,000 ethnic Serbs who refuse to accept the province's independence and want to be governed again by Belgrade.

"Serbia's intention is to use this train, which was donated by Russia, first to help carve away the northern part of Kosovo and then ... attach it to Serbia. It is the Crimea model," Thaci said in an interview.

He was referring to Ukraine's Crimea peninsula, home to Russia's Black Sea fleet and populated mainly by ethnic Russians who after the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991 continued to feel loyalty to Moscow rather than to the newly independent government in Kiev.

Crimea's ethnic Russians welcomed Moscow's annexation - carried out initially by soldiers wearing unmarked uniforms to disguise their identity - though the move also triggered Western economic sanctions against Russia.

"CHAIN REACTION"

Serbia lost control of Kosovo when NATO air strikes forced Belgrade to withdraw its troops in 1999 after they had killed 10,000 ethnic Albanian civilians. NATO still has around 5,000 troops stationed in Kosovo to keep the fragile peace.

As well as Serbia, its ally Russia and some other countries also refuse to recognize Kosovo's 2008 independence.

After talks with Serbia's military top brass and state security chiefs in Belgrade on Sunday, Serbia's Nikolic threatened to send troops back into Kosovo.

"If they are killing Serbs, we will send the army, all of us will go, I will go as well, it would not be my first time," said Nikolic, who is a former member of the ultra-nationalist Serbian Radical Party and in the 1990s fought alongside Serb paramilitaries in Croatia

Responding to Nikolic's remarks, Thaci said any attempt by Serbia to annex northern Kosovo would set off "a chain reaction across the whole Western Balkans".

Belgrade and Pristina both aspire to join the European Union and normalizing relations is a condition of their progress, but Serbia continues to block Kosovo's membership of international organizations such as the United Nations.

Bilateral relations came under renewed strain this month when former Kosovo prime minister Ramush Haradinaj was arrested in France on a warrant from Serbia, which accuses him of war crimes.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Good luck with that Euros because Trump ain't gonna give a shit.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

Heh, just the other day I was thinking the Serbs were strangely absent from the current nationalist cuntishness resurgency.

Liep

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 17, 2017, 09:55:15 AM

If this somehow leads to a disqualification of Montenegro then I might care. WC 2018 here we come!
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Liep on January 17, 2017, 10:00:35 AM

If this somehow leads to a disqualification of Montenegro then I might care. WC 2018 here we come!

Is Danemark really that bad in the current qualification campaign?  :huh:

Liep

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 17, 2017, 10:04:56 AM

11.10.2016   20:45   Danmark – Montenegro   0 – 1
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Liep on January 17, 2017, 10:05:51 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 17, 2017, 10:04:56 AM

11.10.2016   20:45   Danmark – Montenegro   0 – 1

Not over yet because there are other games?
Besides, Montenegro and Serbia are fully separated now.  :P

Syt

I don't expect an escalation before the weekend when Trump is inaugurated and all those pesky Obama appointees in various capacities had to hand in their keys.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Does membership in the UN require unanimous approval of existing members?

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 17, 2017, 02:09:33 PM
Does membership in the UN require unanimous approval of existing members?

Security Council approval, then 2/3 of the General Assembly.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Jacob

Quote from: Syt on January 17, 2017, 12:25:29 PM
I don't expect an escalation before the weekend when Trump is inaugurated and all those pesky Obama appointees in various capacities had to hand in their keys.

Hopefully it'll be after the weekend, since Trump is taking Sat-Sun off.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on January 17, 2017, 12:25:29 PM

No...they will wait for the spring, when the mountain passes are open.
*contemplates field glasses* 
Yes.  They will wait until spring.

Valmy

I am so glad we decided to recognize their independence.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on January 17, 2017, 08:32:49 PM
I am so glad we decided to recognize their independence.

Who, Kosovo?  It's just a mail code to send the check from the Kosovo Aid concert, which is the most we will do when Serbia goes in an buttfucks them into rape-rape camps under the fatherly, pan-Slavic gaze of Moscow.   But it's OK, operators are standing by to accept your donation, any donation, so little ethnic war refugee Bupchik can eat, and not only will you get this great little tote bag, but you'll know that little Bupchick won't go to bed hungry despite the forced anal fissure.

11B4V

Maybe they can get the ethnic cleansing right this time.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".