The latest news on Michael Jackson

Started by Barrister, July 06, 2009, 11:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Korea

I want my mother fucking points!

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Minsky Moment

that really isn't news on Michael Jackson.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

fhdz

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 07, 2011, 07:24:38 PM
The Doctor is guilty.

You too are guilty, Timmay...of THREAD NECROMANCY MOST FOUL.
and the horse you rode in on

Capetan Mihali

Poor Doc.  I don't think anyone among us could have denied Michael his "milk" (propofol) when he begged for it to find peace in the abyss of dreamless sleep.  He wasn't keeping MJ doped up out of his mind on painkillers or whatever, he was just helping him live out his sad life.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 07, 2011, 09:48:11 PM
Poor Doc.  I don't think anyone among us could have denied Michael his "milk" (propofol) when he begged for it to find peace in the abyss of dreamless sleep.  He wasn't keeping MJ doped up out of his mind on painkillers or whatever, he was just helping him live out his sad life.
WTF is this bullshit? It's either a poorly thought troll attempt or just rambling nonsense. 

1 Karma Chameleon point

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 07, 2011, 10:17:40 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 07, 2011, 09:48:11 PM
WTF is this bullshit? It's either a poorly thought troll attempt or just rambling nonsense.

I'm completely serious.  You don't think a personal physician for a deeply troubled celebrity develops a close relationship with him, wants to make him happy, and wants to relieve his suffering? 

IIRC, Michael had debilitating insomnia that didn't respond to all the benzos, and thought he needed the propofol to get some sleep.  (By all accounts it worked very well since it is a surgical anesthetic.)  Of course, propofol is not normally administered outside the hospital, but they had apparently been using it with such success that Michael called it his milk and would plead for it to get to sleep.

I think the doc honestly cared for Michael, gave him a dose of meds that they had used many times in the past, and then had him unexpectedly die.

The home propofol administration is more than a little weird, but it is not an addictive drug of abuse that the doc sinisterly pumped MJ full of, or like Elvis's, wildly overprescribed thousands of pills that were clearly being abused. 

Correct me on the facts if I'm mistaken, I haven't really paid much attention since the beginning of the inquest a while ago.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Capetan Mihali

Refreshing my memory, it seems to me that the doctor was clearly negligent to some degree.  But without trying to get a sense of California law on this, I don't think he should have been convicted of manslaughter.  Medical board discipline and the inevitable suit by MJ's heirs for medical malpractice/wrongful death seem to fit the scenario.  I think the doc must have been culpably negligent (for administering propofol in the first place) but the scenario was pretty unique:

-- His patient was by all accounts not in robust health and elected for various "unorthodox" medical interventions:

QuoteJackson's chronic inability to sleep was one of many odd details of his life to emerge from the trial, along with such mundane things like his food preferences to strange medical decisions.

Jackson's chef, Kai Chase, told the court that the notoriously thin star had penchants for beet juice and almond milk. He insisted on healthy food for himself and his three children and wanted lunch served at 12:30 p.m. every day.

Through evidence and testimonies, it was also revealed that Jackson received injections of Botox in his armpits and groin and wore a urninary catheter while sleeping.

The autopsy also showed that he had all sorts of early-onset health problems, like osteoarthritis, IIRC.  Maybe one or some of these latent conditions were a factor that the doc couldn't/didn't know about.

-- He seems to have had a close emotional relationship with MJ that may have led him to err on the side of gratifying his friend and relieving his suffering, rather than following responsible protocol.

-- MJ actively demanded the propofol; it wasn't forced on him by a total charlatan.  There was some kind of mutual bargaining going on concerning its administration.

-- The drug in question did not expose MJ to addiction, intoxication, or withdrawals.  It was intended to treat a specific, severe symptom.  Again, compare with the real Dr. Feelgoods of Hollywood writing scripts for celebrities of whatever they want, or the doctors who actively got celebrities hooked on problem drugs.

-- The same combo of benzodiazepines and propofol seems to have been administered frequently in the past without ill effects.  These are not drugs that build up in your system to eventually have fatal consequences: an overdose is a one-time thing.  The doctor might have assumed, if not reasonably but at least understandably, that it would continue to be a safe dose.  His testimony of course is that he was trying to get MJ off of the propofol.

Again, I'm not attempting a cod-legal analysis.  Maybe all this meets the elements of involuntary manslaughter in Calif.  But I find hard to comprehend the fury of Michael Jackson supporters against the doctor who MJ selected and who MJ induced to give him the ultimately fatal drug.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?