Would you give up a second Obama term to avoid a Trump presidency?

Started by derspiess, January 11, 2017, 12:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which scenario is less bad?

Romney defeats Obama in 2012 & is re-elected in 2016; no Trump candidacy
31 (67.4%)
Obama defeats Romney in 2012 & Trump defeats Hillary in 2016
5 (10.9%)
Jaron defeats Jaron in 2012, but then Jaron comes back to beat Jaron in 2016
10 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 45

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on January 11, 2017, 11:36:17 PM
Yep.

Languish is about as leftist as CNN.

It only appears to be leftists to those so far to the right that they have zero perspective anymore.

Left and right are relative terms. I think everyone here is to the right of marx and the left of Hitler (excluding ed  :rolleyes:).

Where the dividing lines are drawn is subjective, but if you want to use the US voting public as a baseline in discussions about US politics, I'd point out the House, Senate, and most state government are Republican, and Trump just got elected president.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 12, 2017, 12:04:00 AM
Don't roll your eyes at me son.

Jeez, don't you have enough kids without going around adopting strays.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 12, 2017, 12:07:55 AM
Quote from: HVC on January 12, 2017, 12:05:16 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 12, 2017, 12:04:00 AM
Don't roll your eyes at me son.

Jeez, don't you have enough kids without going around adopting strays.

U jelly.

I approve of the process, it's the outcome that I find less than agreeable :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Quote from: LaCroix on January 11, 2017, 11:58:01 PM
berkut, look at how much shit gets thrown at posts that attempt to interpret trump's conduct in a way where he isn't some villainous characiture

So?

A rational, objective reading of the shit he does results in a rational, objective conclusion that he is a fucking nightmare.

Somone coming along and desperately polishing a turd doesn't make it smell any better.

If someone came along and tried to convince that Bundy wasn't such a bad guy, and if you squint hard and tilt your head a certain way, murdering people isn't so bad, they would catch a bunch of shit. And rightly so. That isn't evidence that there is some rabid and irrational hatred.

And I notice you didn't even try to answer my question. Why? Why is it that everyone is ganging up on Trump, if it isn't actually because he is a fucking despicable human being who keeps doing objectively horrifying things?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on January 12, 2017, 12:00:34 AM
Quote from: Berkut on January 11, 2017, 11:36:17 PM
Yep.

Languish is about as leftist as CNN.

It only appears to be leftists to those so far to the right that they have zero perspective anymore.

Left and right are relative terms. I think everyone here is to the right of marx and the left of Hitler (excluding ed  :rolleyes:).

Where the dividing lines are drawn is subjective, but if you want to use the US voting public as a baseline in discussions about US politics, I'd point out the House, Senate, and most state government are Republican, and Trump just got elected president.

He got elected with a minority of the vote, so that is hardly evidence that most of the people in the country are more aligned with the Republicans.

We just came off a solid eight years of a Dem president who left with well over a 50% approval rating. And your little clique has been assuring us that he is a communist, so I guess that means most Americans are commies?

0 rows returned

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 11, 2017, 02:24:32 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 11, 2017, 02:17:22 PM
Romney...pretty bad.

But he never closed a single coal mine.  :(

Hey Squeeze, on the subject of coal miners, how does it make you feel that your beloved chavs were the ones responsible for Brexit and Trump?
I hate chavs.

It all goes back to thatchers destruction of the working class anyway :contract:
It's not the Ignorant 80% tricked into voting against their interests I hate.  It's the evil 20% who did the tricking.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Thatcher didn't destroy the British working class; globalization did. It was inevitable.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 12, 2017, 05:10:23 AM
Thatcher didn't destroy the British working class; globalization did. It was inevitable.

Hitting the ice berg was inevitable. Screaming "full steam ahead!" instead of making attempts to lessen the damage and save as many people as possible was not.
(West) Germany et al are doing fine.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on January 12, 2017, 05:13:39 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 12, 2017, 05:10:23 AM

Hitting the ice berg was inevitable. Screaming "full steam ahead!" instead of making attempts to lessen the damage and save as many people as possible was not.
(West) Germany et al are doing fine.

I think it could have been approached better (though I don't really know if possible with the politics of both parties at the time) but I don't know if the country as a whole have ended up at a better place.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

Quote from: Berkut on January 12, 2017, 01:36:42 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on January 11, 2017, 11:58:01 PM
berkut, look at how much shit gets thrown at posts that attempt to interpret trump's conduct in a way where he isn't some villainous characiture

So?

A rational, objective reading of the shit he does results in a rational, objective conclusion that he is a fucking nightmare.

Somone coming along and desperately polishing a turd doesn't make it smell any better.

If someone came along and tried to convince that Bundy wasn't such a bad guy, and if you squint hard and tilt your head a certain way, murdering people isn't so bad, they would catch a bunch of shit. And rightly so. That isn't evidence that there is some rabid and irrational hatred.

And I notice you didn't even try to answer my question. Why? Why is it that everyone is ganging up on Trump, if it isn't actually because he is a fucking despicable human being who keeps doing objectively horrifying things?

bundy murdered a lot of people. trump is a real estate mogul

the problem with your discussion re objectivity is people could use it to justify anything trump does as being horrible, because they have this image on their mind of him. it's like jurors who get an idea of who a criminal defendant is and look at all the evidence in a way that matches their expectations. that's not objectivity, but it can be called objective by the person.

(I didn't try to answer a question because I was about to sleep)

Josquius

No.  This really isn't Obama/Bush = Hitler stuff.
It's not like the stupid Bush stuff where a few goofs were blown up out of all proportion  and talked about again and again.  Trump is giving new material practically every day. It's standard for him.
Even many firmly on Trump's side of the fence agree.  He is a bloody disaster. 
Sure.  He might end up being a good president.  Anything is possible.  But looking at his past business dealings and his general behaviour...  You're either mad or personally in bed with him to expect something positive.
If he does turn out to be good then sure.  Expect his enemies to keep attacking him.  But that isn't what is happening now.
██████
██████
██████

Berkut

It is trivial to refute your claim croix, by simply providing some set of examples of where people who are highly critical of Trump are NOT critical of some thing he has done.

However, for the most part, we aren't talking about the things we agree with, we are talking about the things we DO NOT agree with.

For example, I think Mattis as SecDef is a great choice, at least in theory. So right there I've disproven your claim.

0 rows returned