Would you give up a second Obama term to avoid a Trump presidency?

Started by derspiess, January 11, 2017, 12:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which scenario is less bad?

Romney defeats Obama in 2012 & is re-elected in 2016; no Trump candidacy
31 (67.4%)
Obama defeats Romney in 2012 & Trump defeats Hillary in 2016
5 (10.9%)
Jaron defeats Jaron in 2012, but then Jaron comes back to beat Jaron in 2016
10 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 45

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on January 11, 2017, 12:56:50 PM
As for the poll question, Romney in 2012 if it means no Trump without a doubt.

But remember how terrible Mitt was?  I mean, "binders full of women"??  Dog on top of the car??  Monstrous.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on January 11, 2017, 02:36:31 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 11, 2017, 02:30:21 PMHere's an example.

I actually wondered whether you'd reference that post in your response to my question in the other thread. but you called me a dick before the post existed.

Dick recognizes he is a dick but then for some reason decides to challenge the label. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Watching a decidedly unclever man trying to be clever is a very gut-wrenching experience.  :(

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on January 11, 2017, 03:01:04 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 11, 2017, 12:56:50 PM
As for the poll question, Romney in 2012 if it means no Trump without a doubt.

But remember how terrible Mitt was?  I mean, "binders full of women"??  Dog on top of the car??  Monstrous.

That was just shit for Seedy to troll you with.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

katmai

Quote from: DGuller on January 11, 2017, 03:09:28 PM
Watching a decidedly unclever man trying to be clever is a very gut-wrenching experience.  :(
Are we talking about lacroix or trump?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

mongers

This late in the day, I'd happily see Patton leading a cavalry charge down Pennsylvania avenue on his way to staging a military coup.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

LaCroix

Quote from: garbon on January 11, 2017, 03:08:44 PMDick recognizes he is a dick but then for some reason decides to challenge the label. :hmm:

it was a dickish post, sure. I was wondering why you called me dick earlier. I figured it was a flippant remark, but I thought I'd ask to see if maybe it wasn't

LaCroix

Quote from: DGuller on January 11, 2017, 03:09:28 PM

I wasn't trying to be clever...

DGuller

I was actually talking about desrpiess.  To give credit where credit is due, you never come off as someone trying to be clever.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on January 11, 2017, 03:46:49 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 11, 2017, 03:08:44 PMDick recognizes he is a dick but then for some reason decides to challenge the label. :hmm:

it was a dickish post, sure. I was wondering why you called me dick earlier. I figured it was a flippant remark, but I thought I'd ask to see if maybe it wasn't

It wasn't.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

Quote from: DGuller on January 11, 2017, 03:55:50 PM
I was actually talking about desrpiess.  To give credit where credit is due, you never come off as someone trying to be clever.

ah, appreciate the clarification.  :P

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: LaCroix on January 11, 2017, 02:28:16 PM
our citizens united discussion. that was an instance where two (or more) legit interpretations existed, but you said the legit interpretation the court took was wrong.

My view on Citizens United is and always been that it is based on a fundamental misunderstanding of corporate law.  It's not a political disagreement.  I do also happen to think that the political result has been negative but that's not my beef with the legal reasoning.  There are lots of properly reached Supreme Court rulings with crappy consequences.  Eg. I think AEDPA is pretty terrible but the court's rulings on it can be defended as proper application of a badly conceived law.

Quotehere, I'm assuming the opinion was heard before a panel. it's unlikely the panel straight up got it wrong

Not sure why that is unlikely.  Not unknown for panels to get things wrong.  Every year, the Supreme Court reverses panel decisions, sometimes 9-0.
In this case there was a 3 judge panel.  1 signed on, the other dissented.  The dissenter was Diane Wood, also a former Supreme Court shortlister.  Wood's dissent is polite but among other things points out that the majority assumed and relied on facts that were not in the record below.  Suggesting that if there was political motivation here it may lie on the other side of the panel.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on January 11, 2017, 02:29:41 PM
It might involve cash.  The details were not clear that it did for CLS.

Part of the problem with the case was that the factual record was highly undeveloped . . .

In any case, my beef was Sykes is not the argument that the university policy was unconstitutional.  Its her factual conclusion that CLS was not violating the university policy in the first place.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson