News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pax Pamir, Languish PBEM

Started by Habbaku, January 05, 2017, 07:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

Well, you guys kinda made it impossible to win as anyone but pro-Russian... I blame Tamas, if he had stayed pro-British, I wouldn't have switched either.

Habbaku

Once a third person jumps on board, it behooves the three parties to take stock and realize which of them doesn't realistically stand a chance of gaining more influence with that Empire.  That person should then, pragmatically, jump ship ASAP to help rebalance the board.

That person is Tamas, by the way.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

celedhring

It's my turn, right? I'll make my move this evening once I come back from my cascade of work meetings.

Tamas

Why should I be jumping ship? You l33t guys can jump and take your spies and tribes with you, already starting in a strong situation.

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on February 02, 2017, 09:44:27 AM
Why should I be jumping ship? You l33t guys can jump and take your spies and tribes with you, already starting in a strong situation.

Because you have the worst position for winning as a Russian loyalist than the others do.  By maintaining Russian loyalty despite that, you are essentially just assisting the other Russian players' win.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Yeah - its like the first win condition is a team thing. Team Russia has won!

Then the REAL win condition is "Who is #1 on team Russia?"

If you are #3 on team Russia, that makes no sense, unless you think you can jump into the lead before the finish line is actually crossed. Otherwise you are just helping the eventual winner....
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

It's not really worse than #2 who could have a running start with a new power.

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Yeah well since Donald Trump got elected, Hungary has been demoted to #3 on team Russia and you don't see Orban jumping ship either.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

To the powerful bey Al-Habbaku, the wise and merciful, favorite of the Russian czar.

As ruler of Punjab, we humbly ask your permission to deploy troops in that province without paying the due toll of 2 rupees. In exchange, we - the Afghan tribes loyal to the Emir - promise that nothing bad will happen to the Trans-Caspian railway. I mean, it's a really nice railway you got there, it would be a pity if something happened to it...

Habbaku

The wise and all-merciful will gladly grant passage to Afghan soldiers for no fee provided that the spies of Celedhring-Baba consider cleansing Pandjeh Oasis of Shah Berkut's pesky agents...

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

That is most agreeable to us, and shall be conducted swiftly.

The next morning, a Sikh regiment is allowed into Punjab by the local forces, while spies disguised as surveyors inside the Transcaspian mapping expedition travel to the Pandjeh Oasis with nefarious designs...

1) I purchase Akali Sikhs for 0 rupees
2) I play Akali Sikhs, putting two Afghan armies on Punjab

As free actions:

3) I get two moves from Charles Stoddard, which I use to move a spy from the Persian Army to the Akali Sikhs, and one spy from Imperial Surveyors to the Oasis. It's left on the blue band.
4) I get a counterspionage action from Imperial Surveyors, which disposes from the yellow cube in the Oasis, which is returned to Berkut.

During cleanup, as I'm one card over the tableau limit, I discard The Persian Army (why can't I get a single purple card!)

I hope all of this is legal? I checked and it should be.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Aye, your move is completely legal, Celedhring!

Over to Tamas.

-J. R. R. Tolkien