News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Whither Obamacare?

Started by Jacob, January 05, 2017, 01:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will the GOP do to Obamacare?

There will be much sturm und drang, but ultimately no concrete action will be taken. It'll still be Obamacare.
5 (13.2%)
They'll attempt to rebrand it and own it, changing a few details, but otherwise leaving it in place.
6 (15.8%)
They'll replace it with something terrific that provides better coverage and cheaper too for the populace.
2 (5.3%)
They'll repeal it without a replacement, leaving large number of Americans without coverage for a significant period of time, perhaps forever.
17 (44.7%)
They'll repeal it with a replacement that screws over some people, but still covers some people significantly and call that an improvement.
7 (18.4%)
Some other outcome.
1 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 38

CountDeMoney

I did my bit for the College Republicans.

PDH

Lee Atwater is laughing at you from the grave.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 26, 2017, 05:33:57 PM
I'll leave the sneering to you, don't want to get on your schtick. My little aside was just that Languish is not a "grassroots"-friendly forum, and, to the extent that we have political activists, it's BarristerBoy, who is conservative, and Mihali, who rarely shows up now.  A lot prefers to sneer at any sort of political engagement or passion.  Sometimes, for good reason. But many times, for bad reasons too. 

I love the sneering about the lack of political activism, when it is your ignorance of the political activism of forumites that is on display here.  It is arrogant to assume that, if you don't know about it, it doesn't exist.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Grumbler is active at trying to convince people on the internet their political opinions are all wrong.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 26, 2017, 07:55:03 PM
Grumbler is active at trying to convince people on the internet their political opinions are all wrong.

Teach isn't even active at that.  :(
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Oexmelin

:lol:  Perhaps, in real life, most forum members are amazing grassroots activists, and it's just the general tone of the forum that hides it so well. I only have what we all have: more than fifteen years of collected interventions and judgment calls about activism, activists in general, political conviction, etc.  I would be thrilled to learn I am wrong about the political activism of forum members. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 25, 2017, 12:03:56 PM
You know, for all the Bernie Love I keep coming across for somebody who was never a member of the Democratic Party, I have yet to come across anybody that can actually remember him saying something--anything--regarding foreign policy.  Ever.
Wasn't his plan to pull troops from the fighting in Iraq or Afghanistan?  Or maybe that was just Trudeau.  I tend to confuse the clowns, sometimes.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 26, 2017, 08:06:04 PM
:lol:  Perhaps, in real life, most forum members are amazing grassroots activists, and it's just the general tone of the forum that hides it so well. I only have what we all have: more than fifteen years of collected interventions and judgment calls about activism, activists in general, political conviction, etc.  I would be thrilled to learn I am wrong about the political activism of forum members.

I don't understand your adoration of grassroots activism.  What has it ever achieved?  To me it seems most suited to getting a bunch of like-minded people together who can tell each other how great they are.

FunkMonk

You know who else were grassroots activists?

Nazis.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 26, 2017, 08:13:54 PM
I don't understand your adoration of grassroots activism.  What has it ever achieved?  To me it seems most suited to getting a bunch of like-minded people together who can tell each other how great they are.

:lol: QED.

Anyways, these are a bunch of related questions. My adoration of grassroots activism stems from my political belief, and ethical commitment that it is the heart of what democratic polity is about, and which prevents voting from being an empty ritual repeated periodically. The kind of things which continues to create clones of Mono in our societies.

As for what it has achieved, historically, there are many, many things. It has achieved regulations for worker protection and health, voting rights for woman, civil rights, etc., etc. Even the loathsome Tea Party emerged from grassroots activism, and though we can certainly think their achievements are terrible, they did succeed in electing sociopaths in the Congress, and these have a real effect now.

And if, indeed, grassroots activism is just people congratulating themselves, à la social media, it can have two effects: it can energize the base, which can make the difference in getting the vote out, and it can also suffocate the movement, generating their own divisions rather than get militant out to speak to others. And though it is certainly a risk, it's not the whole of it.
Que le grand cric me croque !

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 26, 2017, 08:06:04 PM

Well, most of us don't work on college campuses and as such we have a lower tolerance for children with bullhorns.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

FunkMonk