Miami Dolphins
1 (4.2%)
Detroit Lions
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: January 09, 2017, 05:41:06 AM

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on February 05, 2017, 10:59:48 PM
Biggest props of the night are to the CRTC (Canada's equivalent to the FCC), for mandating that if you watched an American channel for the Superbowl you could see American ads.  First time in recorded history that a regulatory agency did something that was 100% pro-consumer, with no possible gain to the industry.
It's kinda meaningless now that we can all see them on the internet.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

alfred russel

I think next year I'll be more likely to jump on the Falcons bandwagon. The city, for obvious reasons, isn't into the Falcons so much. They weren't really expected to make a run for the super bowl this year, so the city was as usual rather apathetic for almost the whole season. It was rather unattractive to see half the city discover the Falcons a few weeks ago, and for everyone to be behind the team. There wasn't much emotional investment in the team.

Next year the city will be focused on the team from the start. I think it will have a different feel.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on February 05, 2017, 11:41:19 PM
I am not sure what else to say. I am just fucking glad I am not a Falcons fan because I would not wish that on my worst enemy.
One day, you and I are going to have a chat about sports.  You live in the South, yet, you cheer for Yankee teams.  And you vote Democrat.  Do you have a death wish or something?  I keep hearing about Texas from an expat, and it looks like a real scary place to be against the majority  :ph34r:

Anyway, great game.  I really thought, even before the game began, the Falcons would win this one and the Pats would let me down, forcing me to buy a beer to my friend.  Well, for once, Trump's team didn't let me down and did not make me lose money.  Wow.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

MadBurgerMaker

Helluva 4th quarter.

Quote from: viper37 on February 06, 2017, 12:46:41 AM
One day, you and I are going to have a chat about sports.  You live in the South, yet, you cheer for Yankee teams.  And you vote Democrat.  Do you have a death wish or something?  I keep hearing about Texas from an expat, and it looks like a real scary place to be against the majority  :ph34r:

Yeah, Val.  What's it like living in Nazi Austin?  :lol: 

Valmy

By the way what a fucking letdown that Elder Scrolls ad was. I saw it and instantly I was like 'Yes! They are going to announce the new Elder Scrolls game with a Super Bowl ad? How awesome is that...wait what? Elder Scrolls online expansion? Fuck'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Viper:

The teams I root for are from Maryland and DC (the pro teams anyway). Traditionally not Yankee territory but their status as borderline Yankee is now debateable I understand. They and northern Virginia are being brought into the expanding Yankee cultural sphere I guess. Southern Florida and parts of North Carolina as well are being annexed into great Yankeeland as well I understand. But that is neither here nor there. My loyalties exist because my father lived there until his 20s and my family had resided in Maryland for over 250 years before then (and of course dozens of my cousins still do) and I spent my childhood visiting that part of the country at least once a year. My kids will have no such ties so sentimental feelings to Maryland probably die with me.

I am not a Pats fan at all. I am a NFC guy through and through. But, you know, I cannot help but admire greatness on this scale and with this longevity. I loved watching the Michael Jordan Bulls to but I couldn't name a player on that club these days.

And I have zero Southern loyalty. I am a Texan. Regional loyalty to the South only exists in East Texas. I am also Austinite and believe me my views are very much in the majority within our cozy city limits :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Minsky Moment

Strahan was in the stadium, Falcons should have put him for 4th Q.  Commish would have looked the other way.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Lettow77

Quote from: Valmy on February 06, 2017, 01:15:40 AM
Traditionally not Yankee territory but their status as borderline Yankee is now debateable I understand. They and northern Virginia are being brought into the expanding Yankee cultural sphere I guess. Southern Florida and parts of North Carolina as well are being annexed into great Yankeeland as well I understand. But that is neither here nor there. My loyalties exist because my father lived there until his 20s and my family had resided in Maryland for over 250 years before then (and of course dozens of my cousins still do) and I spent my childhood visiting that part of the country at least once a year. My kids will have no such ties so sentimental feelings to Maryland probably die with me.

I am not yet prepared to cede North Carolina to Yankeedom or designate any area as irretrievably part of the North. It is enough to say North Carolina is burdened with a considerable number of colonists. southern Florida and (more aggrievedly) northern Virginia are indeed lost to the South as part of its national borders.

Maryland had tough choices to make and made them. It is a northern state.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Valmy

Quote from: Lettow77 on February 06, 2017, 02:41:44 AM
Maryland had tough choices to make and made them. It is a northern state.

Well then I guess I do root for Yankee teams. Ah well.

celedhring

The Pats are the evil that lurks in the hearts of men

Admiral Yi

That is some seriously weird shit.

Phillip V

Democratic activist messaged me tonight asking my help to evict Richard Spencer from his apartment.   :lol:

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 06, 2017, 12:30:29 AM
Quote from: Barrister on February 06, 2017, 12:21:19 AM
Quote from: Valmy on February 05, 2017, 11:43:16 PM
What the fuck did you want?

I wanted to see them crushed.  To see them driven before the mighty Falcons.  To hear the lamentation of Giselle Bundschen.

No it's true - after it appeared the game might be boring, it turned out to be very much different.  But I still wanted Brady/Belicheck to be humiliated instead. :blush:

Oh Belicheck will be humiliated...once he loses Brady.

Well maybe not humiliated. Just 9-7.

I need him to suffer as karmic retribution for that dreadfully morose commencement speech he gave at my high school graduation. :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

So, tracing Budweiser's lineage back to immigration ... is that meant to be pro or anti immigration? :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.