0 (0%)
X-Men Days of Future Past
0 (0%)
Other: Please list below
3 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24

dps

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 28, 2016, 02:10:37 PM
I think it is hard to overestimate the impact and influence of Tim Burton's 1989 Batman in re-launching the superhero genre.

While I would agree with that, it doesn't make it the best of the lot.

Admiral Yi

A lot to be said for Michelle Pfeiffer in a rubber suit.

Oexmelin

Quote from: dps on December 28, 2016, 05:05:35 PM
While I would agree with that, it doesn't make it the best of the lot.

I somewhat reluctantly disagree - because it's true that there may be better movies out there (though few) as movies, but few of those better movies are better "superhero" movies. I think "The Dark Knight" is good - but it probably would have worked with non-superhero characters. Other superhero movies that are good rely upon cinematic canons and codes that Burton's Batman had established, or re-established - either those that followed a more cartoony vein, or those that followed the darker path. A lot of the humor of, say, Guardians of the Galaxy, relies on the undermining of the seriousness with which so many superhero movies are now created (which is a newer development than the original kiddy camp). I think Burton's Batman walked the very fine line between dark and broody and campy cartoon.
Que le grand cric me croque !

CountDeMoney

No, Burton walked right over it.

Tonitrus

Oexmelin

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 28, 2016, 05:25:43 PM
No, Burton walked right over it.

Sure. Do you have a pick, or you prefer Saving Private Bigwig?
Que le grand cric me croque !

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 28, 2016, 05:30:33 PM

The Dark Knight is the closest a "superhero movie" will ever get to a "superhero film."  But Deadpool's ability to goof on its own genre takes the cake.

And sometime in the afterlife, CS Lewis and Richard Adams will be waiting for JK Rowland, and will promptly belt her with a folding chair after slamming her into the corner rope buckle.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 28, 2016, 05:43:05 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on December 28, 2016, 05:30:33 PM

The Dark Knight is the closest a "superhero movie" will ever get to a "superhero film."  But Deadpool's ability to goof on its own genre takes the cake.

And sometime in the afterlife, CS Lewis and Richard Adams will be waiting for JK Rowland, and will promptly belt her with a folding chair after slamming her into the corner rope buckle.

Man, you have weird fantasies.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

jimmy olsen

Suprised that Seedy didn't pick the Incredibles given that it's all about a middle aged man going through a midlife crisis.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Surprised you haven't been killed by a rickshaw yet, Limpy McKimchi.

Ed Anger

other: I'm a damned adult and have left such kiddie fare behind me.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Had about enough of your attitude. 

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

The Crow is the only one I ever cared to pay to see. But it's also one of my favorite movies made in my lifetime.

I saw Deadpool on a plane to London. It was pretty funny.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers