News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World War Tweet: The Megaton Thread!

Started by CountDeMoney, December 22, 2016, 02:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

Quote from: The Larch on February 08, 2017, 11:28:46 AM
The "pushing me to do the right thing" part sounds iffy and/or slightly terryfying.

Sounds heartening to me since Ivanka and her husband hold the most liberal values among Trump's inner circle.

celedhring

If this is Ivanka-moderated Trump, can't imagine how unrestrained Trump would be.  :hmm:

citizen k

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 08, 2017, 11:43:57 AM
#BeAfraidNordstom

Reminds me of this from 1950, a proto-tweet from Harry Truman.  :D

THE WHITE HOUSE
        WASHINGTON

Mr Hume:

I've just read your lousy review of Margaret's concert. I've come to the conclusion that you are an "eight ulcer man on four ulcer pay."

It seems to me that you are a frustrated old man who wishes he could have been successful. When you write such poppy-cock as was in the back section of the paper you work for it shows conclusively that you're off the beam and at least four of your ulcers are at work.

Some day I hope to meet you. When that happens you'll need a new nose, a lot of beefsteak for black eyes, and perhaps a supporter below!

Pegler, a gutter snipe, is a gentleman alongside you. I hope you'll accept that statement as a worse insult than a reflection on your ancestry.

H.S.T.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: citizen k on February 08, 2017, 03:32:29 PM
Sounds heartening to me since Ivanka and her husband hold the most liberal values among Trump's inner circle.

I haven't been able to discern any of her husband's values except amassing wealth, gaining power, getting revenge, and social climbing.  What is your source?

Eddie Teach

How do you know that? Siege is a Jew too. ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

citizen k

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2017, 03:49:05 PM

I haven't been able to discern any of her husband's values except amassing wealth, gaining power, getting revenge, and social climbing.  What is your source?

New York Times.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Mr. W. Thinking.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

citizen k

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 08, 2017, 04:58:56 PM

Mr. W. Thinking.

from Old Gray Mare:
Before that, Mr. Kushner did not have much of a public political identity, but appeared to lean left. He was raised in a Democratic household, and several years ago, he and his wife hosted a fund-raiser in their Park Avenue penthouse for Cory Booker, the Democratic senator from New Jersey and former Newark mayor, who has become a vocal critic of Mr. Trump.

They also once hosted a fund-raising breakfast for another Democrat, Eric T. Schneiderman, the attorney general of New York, who sued Trump University for allegedly defrauding students. (The lawsuit was one of a series brought against the program that were settled on Friday for $25 million.)

The couple moves in a predominantly liberal Manhattan circle. "Their social politics seem more what I would expect from New Yorkers of their generation," said Adam Silver, the National Basketball Association commissioner and a friend of Mr. Kushner's who has frequently contributed to Democrats.

Some New York business leaders, who had recoiled at Mr. Trump's candidacy, say privately that they are hoping Mr. Kushner will be a moderating influence on the new president. But it remains to be seen how receptive he will be to their concerns. Trump officials say that Mr. Kushner underwent an ideological conversion over the course of the campaign, and that he was particularly affected by the experience of wading into the crowds at Trump rallies.

alfred russel

Quote from: Liep on February 08, 2017, 02:25:20 PM
https://twitter.com/RobPulseNews/status/829408051748864003

The WH takes this action from Nordstrom as a direct attack on the President, says Spicer.

Did he really say that? (I'm at work and can't watch)

That is absolutely hilarious. Spicer is the perfect mouthpiece for the administration.  We haven't just installed a third world banana republic wannabe despot as president of the US, but we have installed a highly entertaining and especially ridiculous one as well. The comedy will almost make the nuclear holocaust worth it.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Citizen K, the problem with the theory Trump will moderate is that he has little hope of getting anyone to love him if he does.

The left hates him to an extent it seems unlikely he can alter that by moderating his views. Republicans vary between suspicion and adulation, but a sharp turn to the left will likely confirm the former and substitute the latter with a sense of betrayal.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: citizen k on February 08, 2017, 05:03:58 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 08, 2017, 04:58:56 PM

Mr. W. Thinking.

from Old Gray Mare:
Before that, Mr. Kushner did not have much of a public political identity, but appeared to lean left. He was raised in a Democratic household, and several years ago, he and his wife hosted a fund-raiser in their Park Avenue penthouse for Cory Booker, the Democratic senator from New Jersey and former Newark mayor, who has become a vocal critic of Mr. Trump.

They also once hosted a fund-raising breakfast for another Democrat, Eric T. Schneiderman, the attorney general of New York, who sued Trump University for allegedly defrauding students. (The lawsuit was one of a series brought against the program that were settled on Friday for $25 million.)

The couple moves in a predominantly liberal Manhattan circle. "Their social politics seem more what I would expect from New Yorkers of their generation," said Adam Silver, the National Basketball Association commissioner and a friend of Mr. Kushner's who has frequently contributed to Democrats.

Some New York business leaders, who had recoiled at Mr. Trump's candidacy, say privately that they are hoping Mr. Kushner will be a moderating influence on the new president. But it remains to be seen how receptive he will be to their concerns. Trump officials say that Mr. Kushner underwent an ideological conversion over the course of the campaign, and that he was particularly affected by the experience of wading into the crowds at Trump rallies.

Right, wishful thinking.  Basically there is zero evidence that they actually have liberal views.  What there is evidence of is that they live and work in a very heavily Democratic city in a very heavily Democratic region, and therefore make nice-nice with influential Democrats that could either do favors for them or hurt them.  Basically exactly the same thing that Donald J.T. used to do (his Dad was also a Dem), and we all know how that played out.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 08, 2017, 05:12:39 PM
Right, wishful thinking.  Basically there is zero evidence that they actually have liberal views. 

The one piece of evidence for "Liberal Trump/Kushner" is gay rights.  Trump has never said boo about gays, has a few times said he'll protect gay rights, and so far has taken no action to roll back any gay-friendly executive orders.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

BB that's because Trump is deep closet.  Decor by Liberace.  "Grab em by the pussy" - what hetero would ever say that?  Everything screams overcompensation.
--Joan Robinson

citizen k

Quote from: Barrister on February 08, 2017, 05:16:10 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 08, 2017, 05:12:39 PM
Right, wishful thinking.  Basically there is zero evidence that they actually have liberal views. 

The one piece of evidence for "Liberal Trump/Kushner" is gay rights.  Trump has never said boo about gays, has a few times said he'll protect gay rights, and so far has taken no action to roll back any gay-friendly executive orders.

Peter Thiel might have more to do with that than Ivanka/Jared.