China kills 140 people over night - the mullahs have nothing on the chicoms

Started by Martinus, July 06, 2009, 02:40:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisturbedPervert

Uhh, there haven't been any anti Chinese riots in Thailand.  You would find it difficult to find anyone under 60 who even speaks a Chinese language (normally Teochew or Hakka) let alone consider themselves Chinese.

Josquius

I'm having trouble getting too worked up over this despite it being pretty bad.
Perhaps after Tibet last year its just come to be expected. And these Ugyhars, though they should be free, aren't as cool as Tibetans.
██████
██████
██████

Siege

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on July 07, 2009, 05:35:24 AM
Uhh, there haven't been any anti Chinese riots in Thailand.  You would find it difficult to find anyone under 60 who even speaks a Chinese language (normally Teochew or Hakka) let alone consider themselves Chinese.

Hey DP, are you and Btrollsom the same person?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Monoriu

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on July 07, 2009, 05:35:24 AM

I was in Bangkok 4 weeks ago, and I distinctly remember reading the local Chinese newspapers, in Chinese language. 

Monoriu

The latest footage and photographs coming out are pretty scary.

I saw rows and rows of bodies, all covered in blood and many with their heads smashed.  Those aren't bullet wounds.  They were clubbed to death by rioters. 

I saw thousands of Han Chinese carrying big sticks, knives, saws, crying for revenge, singing the national anthem and marching toward the Uyghur districts.

I saw lots of individual and small groups of Han Chinese carrying similar weapons just to travel between work and home.

The trigger for the incident was apparently an ethnic fight between Han and Uyghur workers in a toy factory somewhere in Guangdong province (very far from Xinjiang).  There is some kind of affirmative action in place.  The owner of the factory is a rich businessman from Hong Kong.  He said he hired 500 Uyghur workers due to encouragement from local officials - to give them something to do.   

The alleged mastermind behind the protests (the equivalent of Dalai lama) is a female business tycoon specializing in textiles.  She was a high level communist official 10 years ago.  There was a fallout and she was jailed then released. 

Interestingly, Urumqi (provincial capital and where most of the riots took place) has become a predominantly Han city. 

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Queequeg

Quote from: Tyr on July 07, 2009, 06:22:13 AM
Perhaps after Tibet last year its just come to be expected. And these Ugyhars, though they should be free, aren't as cool as Tibetans.
The Tibetans were among the most brutal, ignorant people in the world before the Chinese came up.  At least the Uyghurs aren't as goddamn self righteous.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on July 07, 2009, 09:00:26 PM
The Tibetans were among the most brutal, ignorant people in the world before the Chinese came up.  At least the Uyghurs aren't as goddamn self righteous.
The Chinese are among the most brutal, ignorant people in the world right now.  All things being equal, freedom is nice.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Monoriu

These riots are nothing new.  In fact they have been happening since the Qing dynasty a hundred years ago.  Every few years, there are issues with that region. 

60, 70 years ago the Hans comprised less than 5% of the Xinjiang population.  Most of these were the military, civil service and their family.  Nowadays the Uyghurs are in the minority. 

The one child policy is working against the government in this particular area though, because the policy only applies to Hans and not Uyghurs (or Tibetans).  But still, given that the Hans comprise 98% of the national population, the Uyghurs will still be swamped if the Hans from other provinces keep coming.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on July 07, 2009, 09:00:26 PM

Why do you hate Tibet so much anyway?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Monoriu

QuoteRiots in China

Rumbling on
Jul 7th 2009 | URUMQI
From Economist.com

Another round of ethnic violence in Urumqi as Han Chinese and Uighurs clash

AFP
THE city of Urumqi was an ethnic tinderbox on Tuesday July 7th. Two days after rioting in the provincial capital of China's western Xinjiang region had left at least 156 people dead and more than 1000 injured, tensions flared anew. Urumqi is home to 2.3m people, a majority of them Han Chinese, many of whom have lived here for generations, and a minority of them Uighurs, Xinjiang's mostly Muslim indigenous Turkic population.

Screaming in anger about the weekend unrest, thousands of Han Chinese marched through the centre of Urumqi on Tuesday afternoon, wielding a variety of makeshift and menacing weapons, including clubs, meat cleavers, long knives, axes and bricks. "This is no longer an issue for the government!" said an employee of the Tian Bai Commercial Plaza, wooden club in hand. "This is now an ethnic struggle between Uighur and Han. It will not end soon, and we Han will do what we must to protect ourselves", he said.

Armoured-personnel carriers of China's People's Armed Police, a paramilitary security force, rushed through city streets to keep ahead of the surging crowds, barring them from mosques and Uighur neighbourhoods. In several instances, however, crowds forced through barricades manned by riot police in helmets and body armour, who responded by launching tear-gas canisters. Although the police failed to prevent individual attacks on Uighur-owned homes and shops they did prevent widespread violence.

Earlier on the same day a group of about 200 Uighur protesters, mainly women, gathered near the scene of some of the worst violence on Sunday, demanding the release of male relatives whom they said had been detained indiscriminately by police. During a tense confrontation—witnessed by a government-sponsored press tour in the area—protesters smashed the windscreen of a police vehicle, prompting the police to draw their weapons.

Authorities have neither announced casualty figures from the unrest on Tuesday nor given a breakdown of the ethnicity of the victims of the earlier violence. On Tuesday evening security forces remained in large numbers throughout the city as a curfew took effect, with helicopters circling above. Officials also confirmed that the suspension of internet services would continue, repeating claims that Uighur activists abroad had used the internet to instigate violence. Access has been blocked not only in Urumqi but elsewhere in Xinjiang, including the city of Kashgar, where police peacefully dispersed a demonstration of at least 200 Uighurs on Monday.

The local Communist Party chief, Li Zhi, says that 1,434 people have been arrested so far in Urumqi, and that all "were all violent elements" who had smashed, looted, burned and killed. He added that after thorough investigations any who were considered innocent would be released and the guilty would be severely punished.

But many of the Han demonstrators said they could not rely on the government either to guarantee their safety or mete out appropriate punishment. Many armed demonstrators expressed anger and demanded vengeance. They sang the Chinese national anthem as they marched and burst into chants that included "Unity!", "Kill Uighurs!" and "Down with Rebiya Kadeer."

Ms Kadeer, formerly a prominent Urumqi-based business woman, is now in exile in Washington, DC, where she campaigns for Uighur rights. Chinese officials accuse her of being the chief instigator of the riots on Sunday. Although Han are quick to point to the economic development that Chinese rule has brought to Xinjiang, Uighurs complain of massive, longstanding discrimination in employment and business, and Chinese interference in their religious affairs. They also fret that the continuing massive influx of Han residents is diluting the region's cultural identity.

The competing ethnic claims echo those made in Tibet by the Himalayan region's indigenous Buddhist population and its rapidly growing Han population. Tibet's capital Lhasa suffered from serious riots in March 2008, which were also followed by a heavy government crackdown. According to the Chinese government, 20 or so people were killed by rioters in that unrest but exiled Tibetan groups claimed that more than 200 Tibetans died at the hands of Chinese security forces.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory