The Non-Denominational Holiday Season Megathread

Started by Ed Anger, December 16, 2016, 07:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 20, 2016, 11:57:36 PM
Poor raccoons.  :mad:

I do feel bad for them.

Not for the geese though. Their feathers, which are on the inside B4 :rolleyes:, make it ridiculously warm.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on December 21, 2016, 01:09:37 AM
I went to Timmy's Christmas concert tonight for his school.  It's funny how his school deals with it - apparently it's just fine to call it a Christmas concert.  You can make all the Santa references you want - but you can't mention Jesus, or any carol that makes any religious reference.

Seems reasonable - Christmas as a secular holiday. Don't stray into anything implying a religious truth or that the participants subscribe to a particular faith. It's the same way Hallowe'en is all about pumpkins and dressing up, Easter is all about bunnies and chocolate eggs, and to the degree that secular schools mark Eid al-Fitr/ Chinese New Year/ Diwali or any other holiday it's primarily about activities for the kids and eating themed food with very little focus on any kind of religious element.

I mean, it *is* sorta funny - but it seems reasonable too :)

Barrister

Hey Jimmy, you've made a couple references to your GF here, and on FB I see her tag you quite a few times.  I'd be curious to see if you ever wanted to describe how you met, and how things are going between the two of you.  It sounds like an interesting story. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on December 21, 2016, 01:16:17 AM
Quote from: Barrister on December 21, 2016, 01:09:37 AM
I went to Timmy's Christmas concert tonight for his school.  It's funny how his school deals with it - apparently it's just fine to call it a Christmas concert.  You can make all the Santa references you want - but you can't mention Jesus, or any carol that makes any religious reference.

Seems reasonable - Christmas as a secular holiday. Don't stray into anything implying a religious truth or that the participants subscribe to a particular faith. It's the same way Hallowe'en is all about pumpkins and dressing up, Easter is all about bunnies and chocolate eggs, and to the degree that secular schools mark Eid al-Fitr/ Chinese New Year/ Diwali or any other holiday it's primarily about activities for the kids and eating themed food with very little focus on any kind of religious element.

I mean, it *is* sorta funny - but it seems reasonable too :)

Personally, I'd rather see them do a Nativity scene, and a Diwali scene, and a Chinese New Year scene, and a Eid al-Fitr scene.

I'm not against diversity.  But I am against whitewashing religious diversity.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on December 21, 2016, 01:20:55 AM
Personally, I'd rather see them do a Nativity scene, and a Diwali scene, and a Chinese New Year scene, and a Eid al-Fitr scene.

I'm not against diversity.  But I am against whitewashing religious diversity.

I'd totally be in favour of proper and wide ranging religious education in public schools, but I think it'd be too contentious.

As for putting up Nativity scenes and the equivalent for other religions - that's a fairly tricky subject. I'm okay with erring on the side of caution, but I'm not dogmatic about it.

derspiess

With Trump next year we will get mandatory nativity scenes for each classroom :w00t:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

I don't really see the point of religious events gutted of their core content or message; better perhaps to present them as is and let the children make up their own minds about the value or not of these traditions?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Pedrito

I love Christmas, mainly because it's my birthday  :P

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on December 21, 2016, 12:40:31 AM
Quote from: derspiess on December 21, 2016, 12:17:52 AM
Praying for 11B's lost soul.

I REFUSE TO SUFFER YOUR GOOD TIDINGS MISTER. :P

I just hope he can cross-reference your Languish name with your actual person.  I mean, he's God and all but I don't want to confuse things.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

You don't have any more room in your prayer queue anyway, Flanders, what with all the foetuses.

Josquius

2 weeks at home.
Went early as I wanted to catch a football game and most of my teams are away this xmas.
Going late as flying new years eve cost 30 quid whilst going between xmas and new years eve would have cost over 100. I'm not paying 100 pounds for a new years eve party.
Dissapointing that this flight is so late this year though. Past 2 it has been early morning.

As per usual when I visit home I feel ill. I'm really allergic to something here. I hope its not dogs.
██████
██████
██████

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on December 21, 2016, 04:39:54 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 21, 2016, 12:40:31 AM
Quote from: derspiess on December 21, 2016, 12:17:52 AM
Praying for 11B's lost soul.

I REFUSE TO SUFFER YOUR GOOD TIDINGS MISTER. :P

I just hope he can cross-reference your Languish name with your actual person.  I mean, he's God and all but I don't want to confuse things.

Languish name or Real name..no difference. I guess I would be worried if not for his contrived fiction.
;)
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on December 21, 2016, 01:17:50 AM
Hey Jimmy, you've made a couple references to your GF here, and on FB I see her tag you quite a few times.  I'd be curious to see if you ever wanted to describe how you met, and how things are going between the two of you.  It sounds like an interesting story. :)

I'll think about it. :hmm:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point