The Non-Denominational Holiday Season Megathread

Started by Ed Anger, December 16, 2016, 07:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Syt

Christmas for me is mostly memories of decent to good food, shitty ass knock off toys that broke as soon as they came out of the box (later, uninspired "I have no fucking clue what to get you" gifts), watching shitty TV movies with the family (hey, at least we don't have to talk!), and - the last few family christmases - spending several days in the pig sty that my sister called "home", with two week old dishes in the sink, and a living/dining area where you had to shift clothes, magazines, and other stuff around to find a place to sit, while Mom marinated all of us in the cheapest tobacco smoke you can imagine (she smokes over two packs a day).

Fuck Family Christmas. (In my family, at least.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

I like Christmas in my family, good food and great wine. I do however hate driving Christmas party goers home, if you can't handle schnapps then don't fucking drink it. :angry:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Christmas is awesome.

Damn Syt. Your siblings bring you nothing but endless joy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I like the idea of Christmas. In practice, I spend Christmas Eve (the main Christmas occasion here) with friends' family in Vienna which is nice. :)

And I've always had jobs where in the weeks leading up to Christmas I usually had crunch time, so little time to enjoy all the markets, soak in the atmosphere etc. It doesn't help that the city is overrun with tourists during the season. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

sbr

I have no interest in Christmas anymore.  I loved as a child obviously and really enjoyed it when my kids were young but these days I am very Bah Humbug! 

To me it's a kids holiday.  My family doesn't observe any of the religious parts of the day so it is just a bunch of adults feeling obligated to buy other adults shit they don't really need.

I am glad to see my youngest daughter and her boyfriend got a tree this year, my Scrooge-iness didn't completely rub off on her.

derspiess

Feel bad for you guys who dread the holidays.  I don't think I've ever had a bad Christmas.  Christmas Eve was always more exciting than Christmas Day itself and still sort of is.  As a kid I was even excited to go to church Christmas Eve, partly because that was what kicked everything off and once you were done with the service it was all presents, cookies, candy, etc.

I have my own routine now that I hope to never deviate from: church, have the family over at my house for late dinner, let the kids open a couple presents, open a special bottle of beer or two with my brother, then Christmas Even cigar.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

I have two teenagers. The younger one really gets into Christmas, and still mostly for fun reasons. The older could not care less, except for the chance to get stuff.

Meh. It is fun, but it is harder and harder to enjoy the real part of it while ignoring the 95% that is contrived bullshit.

I am looking forward to grandkids on another ten years or so, that might put some more of the fun back into it all, I hope...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on December 16, 2016, 11:15:19 AM
Meh. It is fun, but it is harder and harder to enjoy the real part of it while ignoring the 95% that is contrived bullshit.

The solution is to enjoy both!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Christmas was enjoyable as a kid, and then as a bail bondsman.

Alas, growing up and the gradual decrease in zero tolerance has just taken away the magic.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Berkut on December 16, 2016, 11:15:19 AM
it is harder and harder to enjoy the real part of it

You mean the part where we celebrate the gift of Jesus Christ to save the souls of those God picks but not us? Yeah, I don't care for that part either.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?