The Non-Denominational Holiday Season Megathread

Started by Ed Anger, December 16, 2016, 07:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

It is mostly for the kids, but the late night boozing part can be pretty good too.

LaCroix

the problem I'm running into is this expectation SOs have that you contribute in some way to getting a tree, wreath, poinsettia, or something that either requires $ or time, usually both, to obtain

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

I don't remember creating a thread...MOD ABUSE!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

CountDeMoney

He must've gotten his Christmas goose early this year.

derspiess

Ed Anger

Jacob

I really enjoy Christmas, mostly because I really enjoy my family and good food.

It is, of course, even better with young kids around but even without them it's good to get together, eat and drink good stuff according to family traditions. Of course we don't have a lot of bullshit obligation and passive-aggressive shenanigans in the family, so there's little stress involved.

Religiously it means nothing to me. I like to imagine we're drawing on Scandinavian pagan roots in celebrating Yule, but it's just a pleasant illusion. As for Jesus, Mary and the gang - I regard them with benevolent indifference.

Valmy

I make a big point of enjoying every bit of it as much as possible. The religious stuff. The friends and family. They time off work. The presents. The seasonal food and drinks and shit.

Christmas is the best.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

... and of course, shortly after Christmas it's Chinese new year which is pretty much the same schtick - hang up a few decorations, get together with family, eat a lot, give the kids red envelopes. It's pretty nice if you enjoy your family.

Ed Anger

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on December 16, 2016, 01:19:39 PM
... and of course, shortly after Christmas it's Chinese new year which is pretty much the same schtick - hang up a few decorations, get together with family, eat a lot, give the kids red envelopes. It's pretty nice if you enjoy your family.

Just like our new year...except the red envelopes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."