CIA: Senate briefed in September on Russian efforts to deliver a Trump victory

Started by CountDeMoney, December 09, 2016, 09:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Hey the French Right said they would prefer to be ruled by Hitler than Blum. And then they went out and made sure they were.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 15, 2016, 01:13:19 PM
Jesus fucking christ you're a tiresome old man.

But Jesus fucking Christ is a god, so no matter.    :lol:

I do appreciate you devolving into ad hom arguments, though.  It kind of makes it clear how devoid of intellectual content your entire argument was.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on December 15, 2016, 01:27:31 PM
That's why there was a need to create the Central Intelligence Agency to coordinate information sharing between various agencies and then create Homeland Security to coordinate information sharing between the agency responsible for this and other intelligence agencies.

The CIA was created to coordinate intel collection and provide intel analysis for top-level decision-makers.  It also absorbed the clandestine humint and covert operations activities of the OSS.

NSA was created to perform technical intelligence collection.

DHS was created to coordinate defensive anti-terrorist activities.   It's not an intel agency.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on December 15, 2016, 06:02:08 PM
Does this mean when the a given set of intelligence arrives, it is interpreted as follows:

Army Intelligence: "there is a need to control the situation on the ground"
Air Force Intelligence: "tactical bombing can effectively reduce the threat"
Naval Intelligence: "in a world such as this, a 10 carrier navy is essential"
Homeland Security Intelligence: "TSA officials need more scanners to see what people would look like naked in order to handle this threat"

Since none of those are intelligence interpretations, no.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: dps on December 15, 2016, 10:12:38 PM
Quote from: Berkut on December 15, 2016, 02:00:37 PM
Why not have the number that the people who actually do the work think is appropriate?

And how many do those people actually think is appropriate?

Eighteen or so.

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Thanks Haiku.

The point I wanted to make is while that graph does make Republicans look like retards, it doesn't make Democrats look all that good either.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on December 16, 2016, 02:21:17 PM
Hey the French Right said they would prefer to be ruled by Hitler than Blum. And then they went out and made sure they were.

That's an excellent analogy, IMO.

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 16, 2016, 02:51:36 PM
Thanks Haiku.

The point I wanted to make is while that graph does make Republicans look like retards, it doesn't make Democrats look all that good either.

The issue these days is not that the Democrats are great, they are terrible. The problem is the Republicans are worse.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on December 16, 2016, 02:53:09 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 16, 2016, 02:51:36 PM
Thanks Haiku.

The issue these days is not that the Democrats are great, they are terrible. The problem is the Republicans are worse.

:yes:  The Republicans are measurably worse on this.  I don't think we would have seen something similar to a 20-30 point bump for a Putin-like figure if Hillary won.  That a large segment (call it 40%) of Republicans are willing to turn on a dime on an issue like approving of a strongman like Putin who is actually, actively trying to harm our country is far more worrying than the modest amount of useful idiot Democrats that approve of Putin's actions.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on December 16, 2016, 02:58:45 PM
:yes:  The Republicans are measurably worse on this.  I don't think we would have seen something similar to a 20-30 point bump for a Putin-like figure if Hillary won.  That a large segment (call it 40%) of Republicans are willing to turn on a dime on an issue like approving of a strongman like Putin who is actually, actively trying to harm our country is far more worrying than the modest amount of useful idiot Democrats that approve of Putin's actions.

My dad is 72 years old, a die-hard Nixonian who remembers Sputnik, thought it was Game Over during the Cuban Missile Crisis, approved of Ronald Reagan leaning into the Soviet Union event to the point of superpower conflict, and who never expected to see the Berlin Wall come down in his lifetime. 

Just cannot fathom how people--and Republicans, of all people--can give such high approval ratings for a thug gangster and chauvinistic strongman like Putin, formerly of the KGB.   

citizen k

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 16, 2016, 10:58:23 PM

Just cannot fathom how people--and Republicans, of all people--can give such high approval ratings for a thug gangster and chauvinistic strongman like Putin, formerly of the KGB.   

;)

Jacob

Quote from: citizen k on December 16, 2016, 11:24:15 PM

;)

That's pretty dumb, even with a ;) attached.

I mean, I know meme-warfare has an impact but it's still stupid.

CountDeMoney

And yet, no one ever seems to remember Dubya looking into his eyes and seeing Putin's soul.