CIA: Senate briefed in September on Russian efforts to deliver a Trump victory

Started by CountDeMoney, December 09, 2016, 09:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 15, 2016, 12:42:50 PM
Quote from: grumbler on December 15, 2016, 12:24:20 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 15, 2016, 12:12:55 PM
Yes, the US Navy, for instance, should wait for their intel to arrive in 4 to 6 weeks from another agency instead of collecting it themselves.

Naval intelligence (and, indeed, most us "intelligence agencies") uses almost entirely centrally collected info, and just interprets it in ways meaningful to its customers.

YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN

Yes, your point was the point that Avoid the Facts Teach is probably ignorant of, or at least doesn't care about because the bumper-sticker thinking is so much easier to follow:  there are different agencies because there are different customers, and what one agency is good at analyzing isn't going to be very satisfactory to another customer that needs something else analyzed.  The analyst who understands the implications of a satellite photo of a submarine propeller isn't going to be of much use to a customer who wants to know the range of an ISIS technical.  Different agencies have different "menus' to choose from.

But that comparison isn't even remotely comparable, according to Intel Expert Eddie.  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on December 15, 2016, 01:07:07 PM
Yes, your point was the point that Avoid the Facts Teach is probably ignorant of, or at least doesn't care about because the bumper-sticker thinking is so much easier to follow:  there are different agencies because there are different customers, and what one agency is good at analyzing isn't going to be very satisfactory to another customer that needs something else analyzed.  The analyst who understands the implications of a satellite photo of a submarine propeller isn't going to be of much use to a customer who wants to know the range of an ISIS technical.  Different agencies have different "menus' to choose from.

But that comparison isn't even remotely comparable, according to Intel Expert Eddie.  :lol:
That's why there was a need to create the Central Intelligence Agency to coordinate information sharing between various agencies and then create Homeland Security to coordinate information sharing between the agency responsible for this and other intelligence agencies.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 15, 2016, 12:12:55 PM
Yes, the US Navy, for instance, should wait for their intel to arrive in 4 to 6 weeks from another agency instead of collecting it themselves.
Why just stop there?  Why should the US Navy share intel with the US Marines Corps?  They should gather and analyse their own information.  The Marines don't always deploy from ships, nowadays.

If the Navy, the Air Force and the Army need seperate intelligence agencies, why shouldn't it be more seperated since it's the proper way to go?  And also, why not a specific agency to deal with all US Navy aircraft business? An aviator is not a sailor, even if he's onboard a ship, after all.

Why stop at 17 since they have different clients with different needs?  Why not 21? 35?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

Why not have the number that the people who actually do the work think is appropriate?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tonitrus

There is quite a lot of overlap in many of those agencies, primarily with the ones under the DoD...and many of them work pretty well together (in my experience).  But naturally, as in all human endeavors, problems can still exist.

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on December 15, 2016, 12:24:20 PM

Naval intelligence (and, indeed, most us "intelligence agencies") uses almost entirely centrally collected info, and just interprets it in ways meaningful to its customers.

Does this mean when the a given set of intelligence arrives, it is interpreted as follows:

Army Intelligence: "there is a need to control the situation on the ground"
Air Force Intelligence: "tactical bombing can effectively reduce the threat"
Naval Intelligence: "in a world such as this, a 10 carrier navy is essential"
Homeland Security Intelligence: "TSA officials need more scanners to see what people would look like naked in order to handle this threat"
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

dps

Quote from: Berkut on December 15, 2016, 02:00:37 PM
Why not have the number that the people who actually do the work think is appropriate?

And how many do those people actually think is appropriate?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Christ

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/russian-hack-almost-brought-the-u-s-military-to-its-knees/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab6a&linkId=32446140

By/ David Martin/ CBS News/ December 15, 2016, 6:54 PM

Russian hack almost brought the U.S. military to its knees
Last Updated Dec 15, 2016 7:01 PM EST

Russian hackers struck at the heart of the U.S. military in August 2015 by seizing the e-mail system used by the Joint Chiefs of Staff, CBS News has learned.

Then-Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Martin Dempsey was alerted to the attack by an early-morning phone call from the Director of the National Security Agency, Admiral Mike Rogers.

Now retired, Dempsey told CBS News in an exclusive interview that the attack was proceeding at an alarming speed. Within an hour, hackers had seized control of the unclassified e-mail system used by the Pentagon's Joint Staff, the organization of some 3,500 military officers and civilians who work for the Chairman.

In that time, the hackers seized the computer credentials of Dempsey and hundreds of other senior officers -- the passwords and electronic signatures they used to sign on to the network. The only way to stop the attack was to take the network down.

The attack, which officials now blame on Russia, began with 30,000 e-mails sent to a West Coast university. Of those 30,000, four were forwarded to members of the Joint Staff and one was opened -- allowing the hackers in. Since it was an unclassified network, the attack had no real intelligence value.

It was not spying, but a full-on assault whose only apparent purpose was to cause damage and force the Pentagon to replace both hardware and software, which took about two weeks to accomplish.

The motive for the attack was believed to be Russian anger at economic sanctions orchestrated by the Obama administration in response to Vladimir Putin's annexation of Crimea and interference in Ukraine.

Cyber attacks have come to be known as weapons of mass disruption, and it is now clear that Russia has used them not just to meddle in U.S. elections -- but to do harm to the American military.

© 2016 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point