Washington gunman motivated by fake news 'Pizzagate' conspiracy

Started by garbon, December 05, 2016, 07:18:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 05, 2016, 04:49:05 PM
Trump's leading foreign policy and domestic policy advisors are in bed with this garbage. 
If he keeps them on this admin loses all credibility before Day 1.

Keeps them?  Dude, they're the ones that got him there.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on December 05, 2016, 05:52:57 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 05, 2016, 05:14:59 PM
I was just curious as to whether they were using some kind of code and, if so, what it meant.  Your repulsion is an overreaction.  I sort of understand why you're on edge with the election and all, but chill.

I'd treat a holocaust denier in just the same way. :)

:lol:  Good for you.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

What we're seeing here is precisely what the firehose of falsehoods strategy is meant to accomplish.  Dial up the bullshit to 11, and have enough imbeciles, imbecile sympathizers, and false equivalence enablers pick it up so that the correct volume of 0 is no longer the default and obvious setting.  Pretty soon every fact becomes just a matter of opinion.

I sure hope that some counter to this is developed, or that people will naturally gain immunity to this, because this informational war against the liberal societies is proving to be the biggest threat to democracy in a long, long time.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on December 05, 2016, 07:39:26 PM
What we're seeing here is precisely what the firehose of falsehoods strategy is meant to accomplish.  Dial up the bullshit to 11, and have enough imbeciles, imbecile sympathizers, and false equivalence enablers pick it up so that the correct volume of 0 is no longer the default and obvious setting.  Pretty soon every fact becomes just a matter of opinion.

I sure hope that some counter to this is developed, or that people will naturally gain immunity to this, because this informational war against the liberal societies is proving to be the biggest threat to democracy in a long, long time.

Eventually every government will have an army of professional trolls spreading their propaganda and people will wise up. Right now it is all new.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on December 05, 2016, 07:44:06 PM

Eventually every government will have an army of professional trolls spreading their propaganda and people will wise up. Right now it is all new.
Will people wise up, or will people give up on the concept of truth and facts because sifting it out from BS will become impossible?

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on December 05, 2016, 07:56:11 PM
Will people wise up, or will people give up on the concept of truth and facts because sifting it out from BS will become impossible?

Both of those things are possible.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

LaCroix

I don't think people will be giving up on the concept of truth and facts for awhile

DGuller

Quote from: LaCroix on December 05, 2016, 08:05:11 PM
I don't think people will be giving up on the concept of truth and facts for awhile
A significant enough minority of them are on sabbatical as we speak.

Ed Anger

comet ping pong is a stupid name for a pizza joint.

You all may continue with your Assburger ranting and raving.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 05, 2016, 08:15:44 PM

Sounds like something you'd ask the Little Missus for, and get rolleyes.

"You know what, honey;  I think tonight is Comet Ping Pong Night."
"But it's not even your birthday."

LaCroix

Quote from: DGuller on December 05, 2016, 08:08:32 PMA significant enough minority of them are on sabbatical as we speak.

disagree. I think most of your significant enough minority pay some mild attention to poor news sources, but that's about it. people care about truth and facts. they're just more likely to believe facts/narratives they hear that conform with their views. everyone does this to an extent. educated people are probably less prone to it, yet you see it all the time among educated groups, too.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 05, 2016, 08:18:19 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 05, 2016, 08:15:44 PM

Sounds like something you'd ask the Little Missus for, and get rolleyes.

"You know what, honey;  I think tonight is Comet Ping Pong Night."
"But it's not even your birthday."

I say "Chuck E Cheese"
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on December 05, 2016, 08:08:32 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on December 05, 2016, 08:05:11 PM
A significant enough minority of them are on sabbatical as we speak.

I think you cannot discount the part being played by the spiceys of the world - who know perfectly well that it is lies, damaging, and harmful to democracy...but hell, it is in the service of their side, so lets just laugh it off and pretend like it is no big deal...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Maybe we should let Trump "tighten up the libel laws", than sue him for libel.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017