Massacre at historic African American Church in Charleston

Started by jimmy olsen, June 18, 2015, 12:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

Lettow has a point. Remember that Tim is an English teacher.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

PDH

Quote from: alfred russel on July 11, 2015, 04:43:25 PM

Tim is also well known to be a retarded fuckstick.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Quote from: PDH on July 12, 2015, 07:26:32 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 11, 2015, 04:43:25 PM

Tim is also well known to be a retarded fuckstick.

Well, at least having a career in fuckstickery you get a lot of action.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Just fucking evil

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/charleston-church-shooting/charleston-massacre-dylann-roof-s-mom-had-heart-attack-during-n693776

QuoteCHARLESTON, S.C. — Dylann Roof's mother suffered a heart attack not long after prosecutors described how her son planned a cold and calculated killing of nine black church members in a racially motivated attack, his attorney said in court documents Thursday.

Roof's mother collapsed and said "I'm sorry" several times on Wednesday as family members and court security came to help her during the opening of her son's federal death penalty trial.

Roof's attorney mentioned the heart attack in court documents asking for a mistrial, saying a survivor's testimony was so emotional that "spectators and even court personnel — including members of the prosecution and defense — were crying with her."

The documents didn't give the mother's current condition.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/dylann-roof-s-videotaped-confessions-stuns-courtroom-n694036

Dylann Roof's Videotaped Confession Stuns Courtroom

by Corky Siemaszko

Dylann Roof began his videotaped confession with 11 chilling words: "I went to that church in Charleston and I did it."

And then for the next two or three hours, the self-declared white supremacist described to the FBI how he gunned down nine black worshippers last year at a historic South Carolina church in a bid to spark a race war.

"What I did is still minuscule to what they're doing to white people every day," Roof insisted at one point.

The recording of Roof was played Friday for the jurors weighing the fate of the 22-year-old for the first time at his federal death penalty trial.

In the video, FBI agents could be seen reading Roof his rights and making sure he understood that he was giving a statement without a lawyer present.

Roof did not appear to be under the influence of anything when he made the statement following his arrest on June 18, 2015 in Shelby, North Carolina, FBI investigator Michael Stansbury testified.

And Roof was not sure how many people he killed at the Emanuel AME Church.

"Five, not really sure, " he said. "Maybe four?"

When asked if he said anything to the victims, Roof answered, "I didn't say anything to them before."

"It was very fast," he said on the video.

In a matter-of-fact tone, Roof told the FBI he researched his target and went on the killing spree because blacks were raping white women.

"I do consider myself a white supremacist," he admitted on the footage.

Roof also said he was "in absolute awe" that there were no police outside the church when he came out. He said he would have killed himself if there were.

In the course of the recorded conversation, Roof spoke about seeing a 1980's TV movie about a racist skinhead called "Made in Britain." And when asked if he regretted what he'd done, Roof said, "Yeah, I'd say so."

Told the death toll was actually nine people, Roof appeared to react with disbelief and then remorse. "Well, it makes me feel bad," he said, when asked how he felt.

"Are you guilty?" an FBI agent asked.

"Yes, I am guilty," Roof replied. "We all know I'm guilty."

Also entered into evidence was a journal found in the back of Roof's car.

"I was not raised in a racist home of environment," he wrote, referring to himself as Dylann Storm Roof.

But in there, Roof wrote that Florida security guard George Zimmerman was in the right when he fatally shot unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin and he disparaged African-Americans as "stupid and violent." The journal also contained Nazi swastikas and the white supremacist code numbers 14 and 88.

Sitting at the defense table, Roof did not look at Stansbury. But the wrenching footage is likely to ratchet-up the anguish at the already emotionally fraught trial.

On Wednesday, Roof's mother suffered a heart attack after prosecutors laid out for the court how her son plotted the murders of the black Bible study participants on June 17, 2015 in the fellowship hall of the Emanuel AME Church.

Before Stansbury took the stand, Roof's lawyer told U.S. Judge Richard Gergel they intend to present more evidence about his state of mind at the time of the shooting. They have not contested that Roof was responsible for the killing, but they are trying to save him from the death penalty.

So far Roof, who has admitted targeting the Charleston church, has barely uttered a word at his trial.

While the proceedings have been punctuated at times by the sobs of the victims' loved ones, Roof has sat stone-faced and has rarely looked at the people whose lives were torn apart by the massacre.

Until Wednesday, when Roof showed up in court wearing a gray sweater and slacks, the go-to getup for the admitted killer with the bowl haircut had been his striped jail jumpsuit.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 10, 2016, 03:40:34 AM

Roof's attorney mentioned the heart attack in court documents asking for a mistrial, saying a survivor's testimony was so emotional that "spectators and even court personnel — including members of the prosecution and defense — were crying with her."

I don't see how or why the fact that testimony was emotionally devastating would be grounds for a mistrial.  Of course the testimony of a survivor of a mass killing is going to be gut-wrenching. 

And I don't see how the perp's mother having a heart attack is relevant at all.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: dps on December 10, 2016, 05:39:53 AM

I don't see how or why the fact that testimony was emotionally devastating would be grounds for a mistrial.  Of course the testimony of a survivor of a mass killing is going to be gut-wrenching. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx32b5igLwA
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

LaCroix

Quote from: dps on December 10, 2016, 05:39:53 AM

there's a rule of evidence that you can't submit to the jury evidence that is really unfairly prejudicial. so, like, in an airplane crash case, probably no showing all the mangled, broken corpses for pure shock value.

the testimony here probably isn't implicated by that rule, but the defense doesn't have much to argue, so the attorney(s) were probably like, well, might as well try it.

Razgovory

Well, Trump did say he wanted to kill the family of terrorists, so this must be a scary time for Roof family.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on December 10, 2016, 11:37:32 AM
Well, Trump did say he wanted to kill the family of terrorists, so this must be a scary time for Roof family.

:lol: