News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Referendum Rejected, Renzi Resigns

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 04, 2016, 06:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

It would have made the executive far more powerful. Perhaps a lot of voters wondered what Berlusconi might have achieved if he had had those powers  :hmm: ?

Syt

A lot of the populist unrest comes from a feeling of losing control and identity - targets are big corporations, politicians, foreigners, the EU, the media ... anyone who can painted or perceived as "keeping the little guys down."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 05, 2016, 02:59:39 AM
It would have made the executive far more powerful. Perhaps a lot of voters wondered what Berlusconi might have achieved if he had had those powers  :hmm: ?

Yeah, that was instantly in my head when I put myself in the shoes of a left-of-center Italian voter. Compounded with Renzi's electoral reform, it would have given far too much power to a party that just manages to win a plurality.

I understand that Italy has an acute governance problem, but that seemed the wrong answer. I like my checks and balances thankyouverymuch.

Tamas

Yeah first of all it seems Politics 101 to not make such a referendum about you the reigning PM.

Secondly, based on what I read on it, there were legitimate concerns. A more governable Italy would also have meant an easier time for the populists to ruin everything once in power.

The Larch

Personally I never liked Renzi, he rubbed me the wrong way, and getting the top spot by backstabbing a colleague is a huge no no for me (even if its politics as usual in Italy). He had the bad habit of putting his government's survival as the main stake of any big law or reform he wanted to pass, banking on the Italian people's desire of having a stable government once and for all, so it was about time that that ploy exploded in his face. The likeliest outcome now is a technical government, IIRC. There won't be new elections in the short term as the new electoral now is being reviewed by constitutional courts and no verdict is expected until next year.

Re: M5S, they're very difficult to pin down in the left-right spectrum. Because they vote almost every position internally you never know what option they're going to take. They hold some pretty social liberal ideas, support lots of environmentally friendly measures and other lefty positions, but then they sit with UKIP in the European Parliament.

The Larch

Apparently the Lega Nord leader hailed Trump, Putin and Marine Le Pen in a tweet after the results were known.  :bleeding:

Are we entering the age of Twitter diplomacy?

Monoriu

Quote from: The Larch on December 05, 2016, 06:35:12 AM
Apparently the Lega Nord leader hailed Trump, Putin and Marine Le Pen in a tweet after the results were known.  :bleeding:

Are we entering the age of Twitter diplomacy?

There really is nothing wrong with Twitter diplomacy.  It all depends on how they use it  :ph34r:

Josquius

I'm very big on local representation so as much as Italy needs reform might well have voted no were I Italian.
That being said were I Italian I may have a different view of local representation to being from super centralised England so. .....
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

The problem with changing the constitution to give your leaders additional powers, even if the guys in power are your friends, is that at some point in the future somebody else...less friendly to you will have those powers too.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

I keep seeing "Rienzi" instead of Renzi, whom I guess was sort of an opposite personality.  Great overture, though :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

frunk

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 05, 2016, 04:57:57 PM

Four down, one to go.  :P

Or ..

Can't, Will, Won't, Shot self in foot, hoisted on own petard.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"