1st Annual Languish Twilight Struggle Tournament

Started by Berkut, November 21, 2016, 09:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

If DEFCON hits 1 during your turn you lose, no matter who actually caused it to happen. Playing a card (like Lone Gunman as US) that gives OPs to your opponent on your turn at DEFCON 2 is suicide, assuming you have influence in any Battleground that can be couped.

EDIT:  https://twilightstrategy.com/2011/12/12/general-strategy-defcon/

CountDeMoney

Drakken

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on December 15, 2016, 10:40:20 PM
Apparently I don't completely understand the game mechanics.  :Embarrass:

As sbr explained, if DEFCON 1 is reached during a player's turn, that player loses regardless how DEFCON 1 is reached.

Obviously, if you coup a BG when on DEFCON 2 or play a card that degrades to DEFCON 1, you lose.

More subtly, that also means that if you play a card that allows your opponent to use Ops to, say, coup a BG you have influence in and/or degrade to DEFCON 1, you lose as well because the degrade was done on your turn. Some cards, like Lone Gunman/CIA Created, Grain Sales to Russia, or Tear Down this Wall are absolutely made to trigger such situations.

You might want to read this:

https://twilightstrategy.com/2011/12/12/general-strategy-defcon/

Bear in mind, we ALL DEFCON-suicide (well, maybe not Habs). It is part of the game and always something to keep in mind when you examine how you will manage your turn cards, and it is absolutely part of a player's strategy to put his opponent into a shitty brinksmanship situation. When beginning I stupidly made myself DEFCON-suicide while leading games, because I was not careful enough or not understanding enough the ramifications of my cards.

Now the game comes with 'DEFCON warning', which will trigger if you are about to play a card that risks you losing the game. If you get DEFCON warning appearing, consider VERY carefully what you are about to do.

EDIT: Inviting you to a game so you may spar against me, Baron. I tend to play multiple turns per day.

Drakken

Quote from: Berkut on November 29, 2016, 10:33:11 AM
If desired, I will put together a four team "losersGIANTLOSERSOFLOSINGLOSERS" single elim tournament for the Round 1 losers. :P

I vote Aye on this, especially since you may end up among the giant losers.  :lol:

Berkut

Oh yeah, I am odds on for that grouping for sure!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Seriously?  Five fucking scoring cards between us in one turn? :bleeding:

mkiefte

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."

mkiefte

Won my game against Baron.  One game left to go against Tamas.

Drakken

Berkut

So, we are getting to see some results!

In pool A, Habbaku and Nels have secured the first two advancing spots, and Drakken has locked down his spot in the "Secondary Winners" round.

Berkut and solmyr are fighting for the last spot - whoever wins their game will advance, and the other will join Drakken in the "Round For Those Who Are Awesome At Something I Am Sure But Not Twilight Struggle".

Pool B is a lot more blurry, mainly because in a shocking, impossible to predict turn of events Tamas has yet to record a single completed game.

But mkiefte has secured a spot, and after that it is still anyone's pool for the last two spots...

0 rows returned

sbr

Tamas and I are on T8 of a brutal cockfight.

Though our availability is so opposite that we rarely get more than 2-3 card plays in in a day.

Tamas

Yeah shut up B, I am playing guys in the different end of the Atlantic:p

That said, just won my game against Baron. Good game!

Maladict

Forum noobs are kicking ass. I thought you guys could actually play these games  :P

Berkut

Quote from: Maladict on December 19, 2016, 09:56:45 AM
Forum noobs are kicking ass. I thought you guys could actually play these games  :P

What is the world gave you THAT idea???

Habs is the only true pro among us....

0 rows returned

mkiefte

Berkut, you mentioned something about feasting on the entrails of defeated opponents.  When do we get to do that?