The Great White Wail: The Not-So-Silent White Majority

Started by CountDeMoney, November 17, 2016, 07:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on November 20, 2016, 05:45:36 PM
Quote from: dps on November 20, 2016, 05:32:30 PM
That's because you're a fool.  Threats to democracy don't come from too much free speech, they come from too little.
No need to try to be insulting.  And it doesn't have to be either/or.  I think everyone agrees that incitement to violence kind of speech is a threat to democracy, and it's already restricted.  Maybe incitement to intolerance should be thought of to belong in the same category.  If you want to have a tolerant society, you have to be intolerant of intolerance.

Insulting?  You called his argument idiotic.  Anyway, if we have too much free speech here, feel free to leave.  Plenty of places to choose from that have less.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on November 20, 2016, 08:07:27 PM
That's because you're a fool.  Threats to democracy don't come from too much free speech, they come from too little.
No need to try to be insulting.  And it doesn't have to be either/or.  I think everyone agrees that incitement to violence kind of speech is a threat to democracy, and it's already restricted.  Maybe incitement to intolerance should be thought of to belong in the same category.  If you want to have a tolerant society, you have to be intolerant of intolerance.

Insulting?  You called his argument idiotic.  Anyway, if we have too much free speech here, feel free to leave.  Plenty of places to choose from that have less.

Must have slipped his mind. :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 20, 2016, 07:21:59 PM
Fuck these assholes.  It's about time intolerance gets some mailboxes blown the fuck up in some motherfucking faces.  Blow up some of their fucking churches.  Beat them with some baseball bats in front of their families for a change.  Fucking assholes.

Bookmarked.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 20, 2016, 08:20:54 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 20, 2016, 07:21:59 PM
Fuck these assholes.  It's about time intolerance gets some mailboxes blown the fuck up in some motherfucking faces.  Blow up some of their fucking churches.  Beat them with some baseball bats in front of their families for a change.  Fucking assholes.

Bookmarked.

Double bookmarked back, bitch.

derspiess

I'm sure it's just schtick and you're not really inciting terrorism :hug:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 20, 2016, 08:36:33 PM

Pretty funny coming from a guy who would give his left nut for the chance to "stand his ground" and smoke a minority. Fuck you and your local Klan chapter, fetusfucker.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 20, 2016, 08:41:23 PM

Pretty funny coming from a guy who would give his left nut for the chance to "stand his ground" and smoke a minority. Fuck you and your local Klan chapter, fetusfucker.

So you are or are not inciting terrorism? :unsure:

dps

Quote from: garbon on November 20, 2016, 06:58:40 PM
Quote from: dps on November 20, 2016, 05:51:53 PM

Typical leftist doublespeak BS.  The solution to intolerance isn't more intolerance.  That sort of thinking is a big part of why Europe has more trouble integrating immigrants than the US.

Actually shaming people into not voicing racist opinions generally works pretty well.

Peer pressure is one thing.  Passing legislation limiting free speech is a whole different ballgame.

DGuller

Quote from: 11B4V on November 20, 2016, 08:09:44 PM

I called his argument idiotic, I didn't call him an idiot.  He ignored the substance of what I said just to get a dig in.

dps

Quote from: DGuller on November 20, 2016, 09:10:06 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on November 20, 2016, 08:09:44 PM

I called his argument idiotic, I didn't call him an idiot.  He ignored the substance of what I said just to get a dig in.

Far from ignoring the substance of what you posted, I consider you a fool because of it.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 20, 2016, 08:56:52 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 20, 2016, 08:41:23 PM

So you are or are not inciting terrorism? :unsure:

I only incite freedom and liberty, so go sit in a convenience store parking lot and hope you get to shoot the first teen that buys a pack of Skittles.

DGuller

Anyway, to restate, here is my concern:  the good guys have not yet figured out a way to combat the "firehose of falsehoods" tactic.  It just seems to work;  it works for Putin abroad and it works for Trump at home (and has been working for alt right and whoever came before them).  At best is sows confusion and hampers resolve about the good guys, at worst it actually makes people believe in things that are false, and it makes them believe it so much that any evidence of patent falsity of what they believe is obviously a propaganda campaign.  If this tactic, and the people employing it, keep winning, the days of both democracy and free speech as we know it are numbered.

Siege

Free market capitalism, small government and our constitutional freedoms.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

DGuller

Quote from: dps on November 20, 2016, 09:23:17 PM
Far from ignoring the substance of what you posted, I consider you a fool because of it.
Okay.  Coming from you, that means absolutely nothing one way or the other.