Main Menu

And to think, it's only been a week

Started by CountDeMoney, November 16, 2016, 09:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Architrave projecting out over capitals.  :x

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 18, 2016, 02:14:08 AM
Valmy must not realize just how many Brits are working in Hollywood.

Yes and many American actors can do British accents. It was a joke, see.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2016, 03:58:53 AM
Quote from: celedhring on November 18, 2016, 03:42:55 AM
Teaching American accents is actually part of the syllabus at most British acting schools.

How very interesting.  I figured they were all just coached before their first American part.

I think doing accents is part of the syllabus at most acting schools. But I can see why a British school would focus on American accents in particular.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

mongers

Just a reminder to myself and others who might have forgotten or be in denial, Donald Trump is going to be the next President of the USA.   :wacko:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2016, 08:52:05 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2016, 03:58:53 AM
Quote from: celedhring on November 18, 2016, 03:42:55 AM
Teaching American accents is actually part of the syllabus at most British acting schools.

How very interesting.  I figured they were all just coached before their first American part.

I think doing accents is part of the syllabus at most acting schools. But I can see why a British school would focus on American accents in particular.

Yeah, the US is a huge market if you're a native English speaker, Brit acting schools just can't ignore that. In castings you will be filtered out if you can't manage a good American accent, so it's not something one can leave out "to be coached once you get the part". Hence most schools incorporate it as part of the syllabus.

Professionally-trained American actors also learn to pull off shitloads of different accents.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

FunkMonk

Hugh Laurie has the best American accent of all the English toads.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

Damian Lewis's accent was pretty good in Band of Brothers (haven't seen Homeland). The actors for George Luz and Bull Randleman also did good American accents, and of course Rick Warden aka Lt Welsh (he was also on Rome).

And then there's Idriss Elba and Dominic West on The Wire.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Syt

A Bit of Fry and Laurie was a great show and often a bit absurd and random.

Here's Laurie's Protest Song (appropriate atm?) from the same program (and another example of Laurie's accent): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8chs2ncYIw
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 18, 2016, 09:20:26 AM
Hugh Laurie has the best American accent of all the English toads.

I dont know about that.  The Brits on Walking Dead do a pretty good job and I agree with Syt that Damien Lewis did an excellent job in Band of Brothers.

FunkMonk

Damian Lewis does indeed do a great job. He's right up there as an honorary American, tbh
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

garbon

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 18, 2016, 09:46:40 AM
Damian Lewis does indeed do a great job. He's right up there as an honorary American, tbh

He was pretty good in Homeland too. Well first season. He couldn't help the writing after that. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.