News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How much money* would you need to retire?

Started by Martinus, November 16, 2016, 09:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on November 16, 2016, 04:06:18 PM
Not enough by far. This is more related to the fact that I am going through the middle life crisis and not sure I want to be a lawyer anymore. It just pays so well.

Hey, will you be able to livestream your own hate crime as it happens when they finally come for you?  Or at least use a webcam? 

Ideologue

I could retire with around $1.5 million right now, and never worry about anything ever again.  God knows what some of you want to spend that much money on.  I just want a house, and about $2000 a month for expenses.  (And that's a liberal estimate, not to mention a pretty decent house.)  After that, what else could I possibly need?

I guess a lot of you folks have kids.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on November 16, 2016, 07:09:15 PM
I could retire with around $1.5 million right now, and never worry about anything ever again. 

:console:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Quote from: Martinus on November 16, 2016, 10:19:14 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on November 16, 2016, 10:10:35 AM
The rule of thumb is, for every $1 in recurrent expenditure after retirement, $25 in assets is needed.

You mean annual expenditure or?

Annual expenditure.  Say if you want to spend $100,000 every year after retirement.  When you retire, your investment portfolio should have $2.5m.  Studies have shown that such a portfolio size can survive every historical ups and downs in the world capital markets, including the Great Depression. 

Monoriu

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 16, 2016, 10:31:20 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 16, 2016, 09:00:13 AM
If you wanted to retire, say, at the age of 50, how much money do you think you would need to do so (including any money in pensions/savings account etc. but excluding any money you have to contribute to, say, a state pension fund etc.).

Why don't you just cut to the chase, and tell us all how much you have saved, since that's the inevitable point of this thread.

Oh yeah, I can't wait to read Martinus' numbers.  Most people on languish are rich, but Martinus is one of a kind.  I won't be surprised if he has US$ eight figures. 

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on November 16, 2016, 07:45:38 PM
Oh yeah, I can't wait to read Martinus' numbers.  Most people on languish are rich, but Martinus is one of a kind.  I won't be surprised if he has US$ eight figures.

It's going to be funny as balls to watch Marty cry when the seize it under the Cocksmoker Law of 2021.  MAH POTATOES

LaCroix

marti, is it biglaw burnout or another reason?

Hamilcar

Quote from: LaCroix on November 17, 2016, 09:44:22 AM
marti, is it biglaw burnout or another reason?

He got replaced by a Perl script.

Gups

Quote from: Monoriu on November 16, 2016, 07:45:38 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 16, 2016, 10:31:20 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 16, 2016, 09:00:13 AM
If you wanted to retire, say, at the age of 50, how much money do you think you would need to do so (including any money in pensions/savings account etc. but excluding any money you have to contribute to, say, a state pension fund etc.).

Why don't you just cut to the chase, and tell us all how much you have saved, since that's the inevitable point of this thread.

I think you way overestimate what senior associates at big law firms earn.

CountDeMoney

Hamilcar

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Ideologue on November 16, 2016, 07:09:15 PM
God knows what some of you want to spend that much money on.  I just want a house, and about $2000 a month for expenses.  (And that's a liberal estimate, not to mention a pretty decent house.)  After that, what else could I possibly need?

I guess a lot of you folks have kids.

$2000/month would be a serious QOL hit.  I could certainly do it, but I would rather keep working.  My property taxes and insurance alone in Texas would have eaten 1/4 of that.

I think the number for my wife and I combined is $4 million.  Even at the relatively poor Treasury yields that should be enough to sustain us indefinitely at our current standard of living.  We're not going to make that by 50, but we should by 60 when we can actually tap the 401ks and IRAs.

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 16, 2016, 12:45:19 PM
I'm not sure that is correct, in a developing country there is the possibility of being overtaken by the next generation as the economy grows.

There must be a Chinese dude somewhere who retired in 1975 because he had a new bicycle and two rice bowls  :w00t:

That would be me.  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"