News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How much money* would you need to retire?

Started by Martinus, November 16, 2016, 09:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 16, 2016, 09:59:17 AM
It expects you have way higher salary at 60 than 50?

It says that it expects I will have social security income at 50, which of course I won't. It is clearly just fucked up.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Gups

Monoriu

The rule of thumb is, for every $1 in recurrent expenditure after retirement, $25 in assets is needed. 

Valmy

Somewhere around 3 million dollars. Presuming I could get 5% yields somehow.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

I don't think about my lifestyle when considering when I might retire.  I think more about my boys and their children to come. 

Martinus

Quote from: Monoriu on November 16, 2016, 10:10:35 AM
The rule of thumb is, for every $1 in recurrent expenditure after retirement, $25 in assets is needed.

You mean annual expenditure or?

OttoVonBismarck

As a thought exercise on the minimum amount to get by, but still be able to do things I like (travel, buy a car more often than once every 10 years, eat out), and things I feel an obligation to do (send my daughter to college), and assuming for some reason we're talking solely my income, probably around $4.4m, assuming I'm planning to live 40 years after age 50 (to age 90.)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on November 16, 2016, 09:00:13 AM
If you wanted to retire, say, at the age of 50, how much money do you think you would need to do so (including any money in pensions/savings account etc. but excluding any money you have to contribute to, say, a state pension fund etc.).

Why don't you just cut to the chase, and tell us all how much you have saved, since that's the inevitable point of this thread.

The Brain

Quote from: Berkut on November 16, 2016, 09:57:35 AM
That thing cannot be right. I re-submitted saying I want to retire at 50 instead, and apparently I need LESS money to retire earlier!

50 is the new 70.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 16, 2016, 10:31:20 AM
If you wanted to retire, say, at the age of 50, how much money do you think you would need to do so (including any money in pensions/savings account etc. but excluding any money you have to contribute to, say, a state pension fund etc.).

Why don't you just cut to the chase, and tell us all how much you have saved, since that's the inevitable point of this thread.

I was thinking that he'd swoop in when he saw a post mentioning the amount he had already saved.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Hamilcar

You don't need all that much to live well in developing countries like Poland. Marty needs maybe a few hundred k to live "well" (if one can call it that in Poland).

Richard Hakluyt

I'm not sure that is correct, in a developing country there is the possibility of being overtaken by the next generation as the economy grows.

There must be a Chinese dude somewhere who retired in 1975 because he had a new bicycle and two rice bowls  :w00t:

mongers

Not something I've ever given any consideration to
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 16, 2016, 10:31:20 AM

Not enough by far. This is more related to the fact that I am going through the middle life crisis and not sure I want to be a lawyer anymore. It just pays so well.

Scipio

Retire? At 50? $5.5 million US, at a minimum.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt