News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How much money* would you need to retire?

Started by Martinus, November 16, 2016, 09:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

If you wanted to retire, say, at the age of 50, how much money do you think you would need to do so (including any money in pensions/savings account etc. but excluding any money you have to contribute to, say, a state pension fund etc.).

LaCroix

Liep

Quote from: LaCroix on November 16, 2016, 09:12:09 AM
by 50, probably around 2.7 million

In which currency?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Retiring at 50 for me would mean sacrificing a lot of my current living standards if I'm ever to afford it. If I moved to the countryside or to a cheaper country and lived a quiet life I might be able to do it with €4-500.000. Can't even imagine the number if I had kids. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

LaCroix

USD. not sure whether the retirement calculator I used included inflation. I tried it again with a few others and got around 1.5 million

Grey Fox

Min 3 millions but I wouldn't be doing anything fun.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

I actually don't want to retire so soon. I enjoy what I do.  :glare:

Liep

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 16, 2016, 09:36:49 AM
Min 3 millions but I wouldn't be doing anything fun.

Yeah, that's the thing. It might be possible, but it won't be fun reaching it and it won't be fun when you've reached it. :P

LaCroix

though if I lived pretty frugally ($30k), I'd only need $500k :hmm:

Liep

Quote from: LaCroix on November 16, 2016, 09:40:08 AM
though if I lived pretty frugally ($30k), I'd only need $500k :hmm:

You'd have to live frugally for ~40 years.

Savonarola

About $3 Million US.  The big expense (and at the current time the big variable) in the US is health care.

I have no desire at all to retire when I'm 50, though.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

Are people including, or excluding, the value of assets like equity in one's home (should they have any)?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

The calculator I used said $1.5M to live on 75% of my current income, assuming I retire at 60.

That is actually not nearly as much as I thought...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

That thing cannot be right. I re-submitted saying I want to retire at 50 instead, and apparently I need LESS money to retire earlier!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

It expects you have way higher salary at 60 than 50?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.