What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 15, 2020, 01:56:08 PM
There is no wall.

There's a tiny bit of wall (which mostly just replaced existing fencing).  More is under construction.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46824649

But what is controvertible is that Mexico didn't pay one red cent.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Yeah the Democrats somehow enabled the President to get his wall funding. I don't remember the details. No wonder the House Dems lost seats in this election.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on December 15, 2020, 02:09:10 PM
Yeah the Democrats somehow enabled the President to get his wall funding. I don't remember the details. No wonder the House Dems lost seats in this election.

Trump poached the money from the DoD construction budget under an emergency powers provision.  It was contested by the Democrats (and some Republicans too).  Lost in court IIRC.

Tonitrus

Despite the hyperbole, Trump had  (very quietly) conceded pretty early on that "paying for the wall" would likely (supposedly) amount to taking the form of some kind of trade concessions (hell if I know if that happened...he would claim it regardless of course)...not some kind of direct payment.

The Larch

For a theoretical dem you're quite quick on the trigger to blame them for anything that doesn't go well.  :P

As the Admiral said, Trumpo had to move the money around from the DoD budget by using controversial emergency powers precisely because the dems wouldn't approve the budget for the wall.

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on December 15, 2020, 05:08:00 PM
For a theoretical dem you're quite quick on the trigger to blame them for anything that doesn't go well.  :P

I want them to be better and succeed more. They're fucking up all the time and it gets me frustrated.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on December 15, 2020, 05:30:33 PM
Quote from: The Larch on December 15, 2020, 05:08:00 PM

I want them to be better and succeed more. They're fucking up all the time and it gets me frustrated.

Well, they didn't fuck up in this particular issue, as there was no way they could stop Trump once the emergency powers were in place.

alfred russel

They definitely screwed up. A border wall is absurd, but it was just $20 billion or so, which in the grand scheme of things is not much for the government. They could have traded a border wall for a massive wishlist of stuff.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Larch

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on December 15, 2020, 05:41:09 PM
They definitely screwed up. A border wall is absurd, but it was just $20 billion or so, which in the grand scheme of things is not much for the government. They could have traded a border wall for a massive wishlist of stuff

Which Trump would have reneged on and never delivered.  Like his infrastructure initiative and super wicked awesome health care plan

FYP
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Not sure how, assuming they were in the same bill.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 15, 2020, 11:09:42 PM

It would never get in because McConnell would keep it out of the Senate bill and kill it in conference.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 15, 2020, 11:12:58 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 15, 2020, 11:09:42 PM

It would never get in because McConnell would keep it out of the Senate bill and kill it in conference.

Which is fine. Trump wants something and McConnell kills it would have been a perfectly acceptable result politically. Or we get it passed which would have been a great result policy wise. Win-win.

I don't get this "you should never ever pass something unless you control over single chamber and the Presidency" I mean it is not like Congress is overwhelming us with all the bills they are passing as it is.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 15, 2020, 02:19:25 PM

Trump poached the money from the DoD construction budget under an emergency powers provision.  It was contested by the Democrats (and some Republicans too).  Lost in court IIRC.

Actually, Trump lost that case but the courts wouldn't impose an injunction while he appealed it to the USSC, which has agreed to hear the case.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!