News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: The Larch on November 22, 2020, 06:48:15 AM
So, when Trump finally ends up becoming a former prez, what kind of perks will he retain for life? I guess he'll keep some kind of secret service protection, as well as the presidential library and some staff, right?

It will be awesome if the library is built at the site of Four Seasons Total Landscaping  :ph34r:

Syt

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1330499656003039232

QuoteDonald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Just arrived at Virtual G20. Was here yesterday also (early), but some of the Fake News Media failed to report it accurately - as usual. My speech is available (they said I didn't make a speech).

2:13 PM · Nov 22, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Not sure what "they" means. CNN reported he gave a speech but they are fake news so i guess that means he didn't?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on November 22, 2020, 06:48:15 AM
So, when Trump finally ends up becoming a former prez, what kind of perks will he retain for life? I guess he'll keep some kind of secret service protection, as well as the presidential library and some staff, right?
I think USSS protection isn't for life any more. I think there was a law passed in Bush's second term about this, so Obama and Trump don't get it forever. I wonder if with Clinton and Bush everyone expected America to continue electing leaders in their 40s or 50s meaning they'd end up paying for probably 30-40 years of protection long after the former President is probably a target :lol:

I feel like they get some security briefings too, no?

I cannot wait and will visit the Donald J Trump Presidential Library - it is going to be in such bad taste :mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

QuoteOn January 10, 2013, President Barack Obama signed the Former Presidents Protection Act of 2012, reinstating lifetime Secret Service protection for his predecessor George W. Bush, himself, and all subsequent presidents.[9]

Sheilbh

Ah okay - that makes sense.

I did think it was probably bad timing that lifetime protection expired for the first African-American President because he could be at more risk.

Edit: Although I really feel sorry for Trump's lifetime guards :bleeding: :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

I wonder what they're going to do with intelligence briefings.  I imagine quite a few people will be of the opinion that Trump cannot be trusted with intelligence.

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on November 22, 2020, 05:01:04 PM
I wonder what they're going to do with intelligence briefings.  I imagine quite a few people will be of the opinion that Trump cannot be trusted with intelligence.
Yes - I think this also applies to stuff he's getting now. I fully expect him to just chat about intelligence he received as President when he's on Fox criticising Biden. And I wouldn't be surprised if he talks about intelligence briefings on one of his calls with people.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Are ex-Presidents briefed on security matters that go beyond the threat to themselves?

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Brain on November 22, 2020, 05:12:37 PM
Are ex-Presidents briefed on security matters that go beyond the threat to themselves?
Yeah my understanding is they get daily briefings, but I think the President can cancel it. I swear there was a story where Trump wanted to stop Obama from receiving security briefings.

I think the theory is that many ex-Presidents are useful counsellors for the sitting President because they're the only people who've got that experience so it's helpful if they're aware. I doubt any President will be seeking Trump out for guidance.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

To be fair Junior is gonna need all the guidance he can get.

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 22, 2020, 05:11:10 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 22, 2020, 05:01:04 PM
Yes - I think this also applies to stuff he's getting now. I fully expect him to just chat about intelligence he received as President when he's on Fox criticising Biden. And I wouldn't be surprised if he talks about intelligence briefings on one of his calls with people.

Well, they have a pretty good system in place to prevent that sort of thing:  The briefings are written down.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

:lmfao:
Yeah, Trump leaking National secrets is pretty low on my worries. His briefers had to dumb down the issues and tie them to Trump otherwise he'd lose interest. There's no way he remembers anything significant.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help