Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on October 29, 2020, 03:19:15 AM
Quote from: The Brain on October 29, 2020, 03:13:02 AM
What's the deal here?

Wisconsin doesn't want to change election rules because of Corona etc. The Dems take them to court over it. Kavanaugh's opinion said that other states also don't do it, e.g. Vermont. Vermont points out that actually they did change their rules. This is now going viral because LOL BEER JUDGE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE DOES.

Does the SC typically amend their opinions based on letters from parties mentioned in the opinion, or is it just grandstanding by Vermont?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on October 29, 2020, 04:11:21 AM
What's the deal here?

Wisconsin doesn't want to change election rules because of Corona etc. The Dems take them to court over it. Kavanaugh's opinion said that other states also don't do it, e.g. Vermont. Vermont points out that actually they did change their rules. This is now going viral because LOL BEER JUDGE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE DOES.

Does the SC typically amend their opinions based on letters from parties mentioned in the opinion, or is it just grandstanding by Vermont?

Possibly something Minsky can answer.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

Whether it makes a difference or not in how the SC might amend their decision, I think pointing out that a sitting SC judge has his head up his ass and actively fucking lied about what has happened in an effort to engage in straight up partisan vote suppression is not "grandstanding".

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

What's the deal here?

Not sure about Courts in the US, but in Canada when a factual or clerical error is drawn to the attention of the Court, the Court will often write a corrigendum judgment correcting that error.  The reason for doing it is to ensure a correct record when the case is considered by later cases.

Now, of course it rarely happens at the highest court, but this was a decision that did not have the benefit of lower court processes, so like a lower court factual errors can happen.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on October 29, 2020, 09:50:45 AM
Whether it makes a difference or not in how the SC might amend their decision, I think pointing out that a sitting SC judge has his head up his ass and actively fucking lied about what has happened in an effort to engage in straight up partisan vote suppression is not "grandstanding".

I am not sure I would be that harsh, but it certainly shows the frailties of direct appeals and what can happen when the Court does not have the benefit of a full factual record.

And that of course is going to be a problem if all the other cases people are speculating about hit the SCOTUS.

Berkut

Kavanaugh got very, very little benefit of the doubt from me before this, and this particular example, plus his entire reasoning on these cases makes it clear that he didn't deserve that benefit either.

He is not a judge, he is a political lackey.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on October 29, 2020, 11:52:19 AM
Kavanaugh got very, very little benefit of the doubt from me before this, and this particular example, plus his entire reasoning on these cases makes it clear that he didn't deserve that benefit either.

He is not a judge, he is a political lackey.

Kavanaugh might prove useful to Democrats... If Democrats win the Senate and Biden wins the Presidency Kavanaugh might solve the problem that Democrats have concerning packing the court.  Senate Democrats could reopen the rape investigation and declare a cloud like this can't exist over the head of a Supreme Court Justice.  They could declare that a Justice must have an impeachable reputation and then impeach him.  No court packing required.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on October 29, 2020, 04:16:22 AM
What's the deal here?

It's not common for the result of the opinion to change, but justices do sometimes correct issued opinions for factual or other errors.  In fact, the line in Kavanaugh's opinion describing the Vermont laws was amended yesterday in response to the Vermont letter. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 29, 2020, 12:27:51 PM
Quote from: Syt on October 29, 2020, 04:16:22 AM
What's the deal here?

It's not common for the result of the opinion to change, but justices do sometimes correct issued opinions for factual or other errors.  In fact, the line in Kavanaugh's opinion describing the Vermont laws was amended yesterday in response to the Vermont letter.

Cool.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

But stuff like this (heh - butt stuff) is why such highly politicized candidated, rammed through after significant controversy, are problematic. They are under a microscope from the other side. Any error they make, will be viewed as either incompetence or partisanship, regardless of whether it's an innocent mistake by them or one of their clerks. And it will reduce the acceptance by the population of their rulings unless they act "cleanly".
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Syt on October 29, 2020, 12:42:28 PM
But stuff like this (heh - butt stuff) is why such highly politicized candidated, rammed through after significant controversy, are problematic.

Heh, "rammed".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

In this picture, an independent judiciary.  :ph34r:

Did other presidents have such photo-ops with the judges they succeeded in nominating for the Supreme Court?

crazy canuck

On the eve of an election?  No.

Was that her swearing in ceremony? 

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 29, 2020, 01:03:53 PM
On the eve of an election?  No.

Was that her swearing in ceremony?

It was weird.  She was sworn in by Justice Thomas in the White House ceremony.

She was later sworn in by Chief Justice Roberts in a private ceremony.

ACB participating in that stunt was definitely a mistake for her.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.