News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 03, 2020, 04:24:22 PM
I wonder how the hoaxers are processing the Trump news.

Like retards of the grandest order.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/oct/03/donald-trump-base-stays-loyal-president-fights-covid-19?fbclid=IwAR3gvxsRFvfP6g6nSYVZTrefsZgnpkt5YAsywVTyJL25RlRuJPmBtL1OqTY

QuoteSean Patterson is not worried that Donald Trump has been hospitalized with coronavirus because he believes what the president tells him.

"It's a hoax. There's no pandemic. As Trump said, how many millions die of flu?" said the 56-year-old truck driver outside the early voting station in St Joseph, Missouri – a stronghold for the president.

But then Patterson pauses and contemplates the possibility that Trump really does have Covid-19.

"If he's sick, then they planted it when they tested him. It's what they did to me when I went to hospital for my heart beating too fast. Two weeks later I got a cold," he said. "It's political. I don't trust the US government at all. Who are they to mandate personal safety? I listen to Trump."
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 03, 2020, 04:45:38 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 03, 2020, 04:31:26 PM
Now he's in Walter Reed I genuinely wonder if the QAnon wing of that starts saying it's a deep state attack?

Perfidiously perpetrated with a nonexistant virus!  Diobolical!
Well no - now he's out of the public eye in a deep state hospital bed they can use a real virus! :o
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/02/maga-world-blame-adulation-trump-covid-425624

Quote"You've never seen him sick. You've never seen him without energy," Brenden Dilley, a self-described "MAGA life coach," told his viewers on his radio show Friday. "[He's] not walking around with weak-ass, p---- f------ genetics. He ain't got those liberal genes. These are, like, god-tier genetics; top 1-percentile genetics."

Wishful thinking abounded, as well: Dr. David Samadi, a urologist and commentator for Fox News and the conservative Newsmax outlet, set the goal posts by pointing out that while Covid-19 patients over the age of 70 had a 94.6 percent recovery rate, patients ages 24 to 49 had a 99.8 percent recovery rate. "I would put POTUS in the 20-49 category due to his strength and stamina," he tweeted.

Further afield, Trump's most fervent supporters could hardly accept that Trump caught the disease in the first place, with some suggesting the Democrats — or perhaps the "deep state" — were somehow to blame.

"Does anyone else find it odd that no prominent Democrats have had the virus but the list of Republicans goes on and on?" tweeted DeAnna Lorraine, a former congressional candidate who has backed baseless theories from the QAnon conspiracy movement, going on to blast masks as a Democrat-backed lie and questioning whether China had technically made an "assassination attempt" on the first family.

In the conspiracy swamps of QAnon social media, there was, oddly, a sense of elation: Trump's infection was, in their opinion, another sign that Trump's plan to purge the government of pedophiles was about to reach a culmination.

QAnon is a set of online-based beliefs that, at its core, claims a top tier of Satan-worshiping elites are running a secret pedophile ring out of Washington, D.C., and that Trump is the vanguard of an upcoming "Storm" that will lead to mass arrests and executions of these officials.

And on Friday, according to various QAnon theorists, Trump had left a secret message to his followers in his announcement on Twitter that he had tested positive for Covid-19. Some suggested that his use of the word "together" was, in fact, code for "to get her," a reference to attacks on his 2016 rival, Hillary Clinton. Others thought Trump's quarantining was part of a broader plan to isolate the president from potential violence associated with the upcoming election.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on October 03, 2020, 01:22:13 PM
I'm just perplexed that I'm living in the same country as some of you guys - I get things may be different in other countries.

I just came from a yoga class that had 21 people as a max, but I really think they crammed more in there, plus an instructor. There were 2 people wearing masks. I've generally been avoiding restaurants, but the past couple times I've been out on a Friday or Saturday night they were full, with people waiting to be seated (many of whom are not wearing masks).

It isn't just Georgia--the other states I've traveled to recently are North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Alabama, and Alaska. They are all the same (possibly excluding North Carolina which is a bit more strict on the rules).

There is this bizarre theater where you have national shows being broadcast from the hosts' homes because it is apparently too dangerous for people to come in to film in a studio, but you are watching it in a restaurant where workers are shoulder to shoulder without masks probably barely making over minimum wage. Those hosts that can't go into work because of the danger are probably making high 6 or 7 figures.

We are generally college educated and white collar--a lot of us can work remotely, so we have this impression it is standard. That isn't the case for most workers though--something like 75% are not working remotely. I imagine that a lot of those that have to go back to work are resentful of those working remotely, or think it is silly, or are annoyed that if their jobs are so important they have to go back, why "important" rich people are not back in the offices. It isn't crazy that politicians would attempt to capitalize on those sentiments.

I'm as perplexed as you.  What I see around me is completely different than what you report is true.  I guess I can understand that gym rats )no insult intended - I wish i had your discipline) are going to see things differently from non-gym-rats, but people around here wear masks maybe 95% of the time indoors, and businesses are pretty strict about it.  I don't spend as much time in restaurants as you do, but when I've gone in to pick up carry-out, they are pretty much deserted.  People are afraid of getting the virus.

I think part of it is the political atmosphere; Georgia's political leaders scoff at the idea that the virus is genuinely dangerous, while Virginia's leadership has treated the virus as a serious matter.  People tend to overestimate the intelligence of political leaders they voted for.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

What we see around us is going to be very situational.  When I step out, I see near uniform compliance with masks.  Pretty much everyone in my neighborhood wears a mask, and they wear it properly, not like a moron.  However, if I were to take a trip to Brighton Beach, I would see a lot of elderly Russian immigrants walking around giving zero fucks about the masks.  Russian immigrants, especially older ones, adore Trump almost to the last man.

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on October 03, 2020, 05:23:04 PM
I'm as perplexed as you.  What I see around me is completely different than what you report is true.  I guess I can understand that gym rats )no insult intended - I wish i had your discipline) are going to see things differently from non-gym-rats, but people around here wear masks maybe 95% of the time indoors, and businesses are pretty strict about it.  I don't spend as much time in restaurants as you do, but when I've gone in to pick up carry-out, they are pretty much deserted.  People are afraid of getting the virus.

I think part of it is the political atmosphere; Georgia's political leaders scoff at the idea that the virus is genuinely dangerous, while Virginia's leadership has treated the virus as a serious matter.  People tend to overestimate the intelligence of political leaders they voted for.

Maybe that gave a misleading impression--most people in Atlanta are wearing masks. It is mandatory and enforced to wear it when you enter both gyms I go to. When I mentioned 2 of 20something, it was during the yoga class (which I wonder what the point of wearing a mask into the gym if you immediately go to a room and spend an hour with a bunch of strangers not wearing a mask).

I think most restaurants in atlanta have rules that you have to wear one except at your table--depending on the restaurant, that seems to be more loosely followed (bar type places have poorer compliance than others--and also seem busier). Most people (~90%?) wear them in grocery stores, which generally require them.

Outside of Atlanta it is way less. To the extent that if we are in the sticks we talk about being identified as out of town if we wear a mask.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on October 03, 2020, 06:20:00 PM
Maybe that gave a misleading impression--most people in Atlanta are wearing masks. It is mandatory and enforced to wear it when you enter both gyms I go to. When I mentioned 2 of 20something, it was during the yoga class (which I wonder what the point of wearing a mask into the gym if you immediately go to a room and spend an hour with a bunch of strangers not wearing a mask).

I think most restaurants in atlanta have rules that you have to wear one except at your table--depending on the restaurant, that seems to be more loosely followed (bar type places have poorer compliance than others--and also seem busier). Most people (~90%?) wear them in grocery stores, which generally require them.

Outside of Atlanta it is way less. To the extent that if we are in the sticks we talk about being identified as out of town if we wear a mask.

I live in the sticks.  My town has 650 people and the whole county about 71,000.  Mask wear is near-universal indoors.  I don't think that this is a rural/urban divide thing, necessarily.  The county went big for Trump in 2016, but went democratic in 2018 and I see more Biden than Trump signs this year.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on October 03, 2020, 08:10:35 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 03, 2020, 06:20:00 PM

I live in the sticks.  My town has 650 people and the whole county about 71,000.  Mask wear is near-universal indoors.  I don't think that this is a rural/urban divide thing, necessarily.  The county went big for Trump in 2016, but went democratic in 2018 and I see more Biden than Trump signs this year.

Hope yet, common sense returns to small town America.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2020, 05:15:18 PM
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/02/maga-world-blame-adulation-trump-covid-425624

Quote"You've never seen him sick. You've never seen him without energy," Brenden Dilley, a self-described "MAGA life coach," told his viewers on his radio show Friday. "[He's] not walking around with weak-ass, p---- f------ genetics. He ain't got those liberal genes. These are, like, god-tier genetics; top 1-percentile genetics."

Wishful thinking abounded, as well: Dr. David Samadi, a urologist and commentator for Fox News and the conservative Newsmax outlet, set the goal posts by pointing out that while Covid-19 patients over the age of 70 had a 94.6 percent recovery rate, patients ages 24 to 49 had a 99.8 percent recovery rate. "I would put POTUS in the 20-49 category due to his strength and stamina," he tweeted.

Further afield, Trump's most fervent supporters could hardly accept that Trump caught the disease in the first place, with some suggesting the Democrats — or perhaps the "deep state" — were somehow to blame.

"Does anyone else find it odd that no prominent Democrats have had the virus but the list of Republicans goes on and on?" tweeted DeAnna Lorraine, a former congressional candidate who has backed baseless theories from the QAnon conspiracy movement, going on to blast masks as a Democrat-backed lie and questioning whether China had technically made an "assassination attempt" on the first family.

In the conspiracy swamps of QAnon social media, there was, oddly, a sense of elation: Trump's infection was, in their opinion, another sign that Trump's plan to purge the government of pedophiles was about to reach a culmination.

QAnon is a set of online-based beliefs that, at its core, claims a top tier of Satan-worshiping elites are running a secret pedophile ring out of Washington, D.C., and that Trump is the vanguard of an upcoming "Storm" that will lead to mass arrests and executions of these officials.

And on Friday, according to various QAnon theorists, Trump had left a secret message to his followers in his announcement on Twitter that he had tested positive for Covid-19. Some suggested that his use of the word "together" was, in fact, code for "to get her," a reference to attacks on his 2016 rival, Hillary Clinton. Others thought Trump's quarantining was part of a broader plan to isolate the president from potential violence associated with the upcoming election.

That's not normal.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

That is like looking for secret number codes in the bible type weirdness.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

I live in Portland, OR, but on the far reaches of the city. (Literally one block away from the eastern-most suburb). I am regularly the only person outside with a mask on. Most people wear them in the grocery store, which is the only place I go except doctors appointments.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

I went to the Jeep dealership do get another key made and the maskage was spotty there.  At the supermercado OTOH folks are zealous.  Masking up when they leave the car in the parking lot.

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on October 03, 2020, 09:11:41 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2020, 05:15:18 PM

That's not normal.

They are broken, no fixing them.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2020, 12:18:58 AM
I went to the Jeep dealership do get another key made and the maskage was spotty there.  At the supermercado OTOH folks are zealous.  Masking up when they leave the car in the parking lot.

woops, wrong thread