News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on June 19, 2020, 08:54:46 AM
Besides the royalties for authors are only a small part of the sales price. Way under 20%, even for top authors, IIRC. For digital sales it's probably higher.

For hardback books, the royalties are usually 15% of list price, so Bolton would get $3 per book sold.  eBook royalties are usually 25%, so Bolton would get a bit more than $4 per ebook sold.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on June 19, 2020, 09:07:13 AM
Besides the royalties for authors are only a small part of the sales price. Way under 20%, even for top authors, IIRC. For digital sales it's probably higher.

For hardback books, the royalties are usually 15% of list price, so Bolton would get $3 per book sold.  eBook royalties are usually 25%, so Bolton would get a bit more than $4 per ebook sold.

Thanks. :) I'm sure he also received a generous advance payment on his royalties for "motivation."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on June 19, 2020, 09:11:39 AM

Thanks. :) I'm sure he also received a generous advance payment on his royalties for "motivation."

Yep.  He got a $2 million advance, which is likely to exceed any royalties he would get.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on June 19, 2020, 08:50:17 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 19, 2020, 08:17:22 AM
Quote from: merithyn on June 18, 2020, 08:36:07 PM
I paid $6 for the Kindle version. If that makes him rich, okay? Also, he was never subpoenaed, and still worked for Trump at the time.

Do I like the guy? No. Do I think he has something worth saying? Yes, yes I do.

Sounds like it is going to make him extremely wealthy. He will probably sell a few million books.

Less than 20 books a year sell a million copies, and most of them are fiction.  Fear did it in 2018, but Bolton is no Bob Woodward.

Selling books in a single year, and selling them over a lifetime, are not the same.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

Quote from: alfred russel on June 19, 2020, 09:26:56 AM
Selling books in a single year, and selling them over a lifetime, are not the same.

I doubt that all those "tell all" books have long staying power. I'm willing to bet they'll make 90% of their sales in the first year and then quickly fizzle out. People want to read "the dirt", and once that's common knowledge thanks to dozens and hundreds of reviews and analyses, the interest will die.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2020, 02:23:13 PM
Here's some surprising news: top Navy officials recommend Cpt Crozier (formerly of the USS Theodore Roosevelt) be re-instated.

Article mentions that Trump has softened on the captain after the social media attention the case gathered, so it might actually happen.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/24/us/politics/coronavirus-navy-roosevelt-brett-crozier.html?smid=tw-share

Guess not...

QuoteIn major reversal, Navy opts to uphold firing of aircraft carrier captain who warned about coronavirus outbreak
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/19/politics/uss-roosevelt-investigation/index.html

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on June 19, 2020, 09:19:13 AM
Quote from: Syt on June 19, 2020, 09:11:39 AM

Yep.  He got a $2 million advance, which is likely to exceed any royalties he would get.

In the court case wherein Trump is trying to prevent Bolton's book from being released, they mentioned that 200,000 copies have been printed.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 19, 2020, 09:04:47 AM
There's actually been really interesting twitter threads in light of BLM of different authors revealing their royalty cut and advances - largely because if it's not public then it's difficult to know if there is a difference. Obviously this isn't the fault of the authors, but there is an unsurprisingly large gulf (especially on advances) between white men and black women.

Over here Spanish authors looking at that mostly had the same finding, which was "Wait, they are getting paid in advance???".

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2020, 01:19:38 PM
Religious liberty being over will protect us from worries of mass imposition of Sharia Law which I was always told was coming. I would think conservatives would be happy about that.
Ceci est mon corps, ceci est mon sang... we need our church wine to be true Christians.  Sharia law will not permit us wine, hence it's evil.  Can you imagine a catholic religious service without the priest drinking cheap wine?  I can't.  :(
Hence why Islam is an evil, evil, religion.

EDIT: plus, pork would be outlawed :(  Millions of people would lose their jobs accross the Mid-West and the Simpsons would be outlawed :(  Nope, no true fanatical Christian would be fine with any law that emulates 95% of their vision of society.  "Give me 100% of give me death!" they used to say when was America was still great.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2020, 11:26:40 PM
Quote from: Syt on June 18, 2020, 01:37:38 PM
And they ran 88 ads on June 17th, because of course they did. :rolleyes:

"Dangerous MOBS of far-left groups are running through our streets and causing absolute mayhem."

Hey...thats...a certain amount of words.
How does it feel living in a war zone?  Can you better relate to Syrians and Irakis now?  Do you think the Russians will come and rescue you from the terrorist mobs the same way they rescued the Syrians?  I hear they are quite satisfied of the Russian intervention.  Those that still lives and intend to keep on living, at least.

Stay safe!

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on June 19, 2020, 01:24:37 AM
I mean how much lower can you go?
:ph34r:
Please, stop.  Just stop.  Don't encourage him.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 19, 2020, 08:55:26 AM
It's possible it is just a coincidence that Trump used the Nazi symbol for labelling left wing political "deviant" groups, in labelling a left wing "deviant" group.  I would be more confident in accepting the coincidental explanation were it not for the fact that someone on Trump's team is feeding him lines from George Wallace.
Trump probably did not know the signification of the red triangle.  But he didn't come up with the idea by himself.  So someone in his team knew.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on June 19, 2020, 02:20:47 PM
Navy upholds firing of Crozier, the Cpt of the Theodore Roosevelt.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/19/navy-fires-brett-crozier-aircraft-carrier-coronavirus-329716

How does it work, isn't Trump the C-i-C? If he orders his removal can they even refuse?

viper37

Quote from: The Larch on June 19, 2020, 02:02:05 PM
Over here Spanish authors looking at that mostly had the same finding, which was "Wait, they are getting paid in advance???".
Seems to be the norm in anglo-saxon publishing, books&music.  Not that artists receive anything after their album tops the charts in foreign countries, since there are so many, many expenses not covered by their contract...  Don't know how it is for others, but the advance being the last payment they ever received was the norm for video game developpers back in the early 2000s.