News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

The Supreme Court has decided (5 vs 4) that Trump can't cancel the DACA program.

QuoteSupreme Court blocks Trump from canceling Daca

The Supreme Court has ruled to block Trump from canceling Daca, the Obama-era program that offered undocumented immigrants brought to the country as children the chance to legally reside in the US.

Chief Justice John Roberts and the court's four liberals made up the majority, with Roberts writing the opinion.

The Daca decision marks a loss for Trump, who attempted to rescind the Obama-era immigration program in 2017, kicking off a lengthy legal battle.

The 5-4 decision comes three days after a majority of the court's justices ruled that existing federal law protected gay and transgender workers from job discrimination, which was another loss for the Trump administration.

Conservatives were quick to bemoan the decision, with Republican senator Josh Hawley calling this "the most disappointing week at [the Supreme Court] in years."

That comment was particularly noteworthy because Hawley clerked for Chief Justice John Roberts, who joined the majority in both decisions.

In his opinion, Chief Justice John Roberts made clear that the court was not making a determination about whether DACA and its recission were sound policies.

Instead, Roberts argued in the majority opinion that the department of homeland security had violated the Administrative Procedure Act in its rollout of the recission.

"We address only whether the agency complied with the procedural requirement that it provide a reasoned explanation for its action," Roberts wrote. "Here the agency failed to consider the conspicuous issues of whether to retain forbearance and what if anything to do about the hardship to DACA recipients.

"That dual failure raises doubts about whether the agency appreciated the scope of its discretion or exercised that discretion in a reasonable manner. The appropriate recourse is therefore to remand to DHS so that it may consider the problem anew."

That process argument could theoretically allow the Trump administration to try to enact the policy again with an eye toward these issues, but of course the president is up for reelection in November, so there may not be time for him to do so.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 18, 2020, 09:27:51 AM
He resigned on 10 September, the House launched their impeachment hearings a fortnight later. He was deposed for the House but refused to attend and threatened to take legal action if he was subpoenaed. He later said he would be willing to testify if subpoenaed by the Senate. They, of course, voted not to.

I don't think there was any cross-over with him being employed by the executive branch and the impeeachment proceedings.

I stand corrected.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on June 18, 2020, 08:25:41 AM

It isn't clear to me why Bolton wanted to avoid testifying.  He clearly doesn't like Trump, but he also clearly doesn't like checks and balances.

I'm not sure either.  I suspect he worked out something with McConnell where it would look like he's taking a principled stand while not actually doing so.  Senate Republicans were desperate not to hear what Bolton said (and we can see why Trump really didn't want Pompeo to testify). Beyond looking principled I don't know what Bolton would get out of it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on June 18, 2020, 09:50:16 AM
I'm not sure either.  I suspect he worked out something with McConnell where it would look like he's taking a principled stand while not actually doing so.  Senate Republicans were desperate not to hear what Bolton said (and we can see why Trump really didn't want Pompeo to testify). Beyond looking principled I don't know what Bolton would get out of it.
He's a party hack so only wanted to testify in front of the GOP controlled Senate? He's a true believer in the most imperial vision of the executive branch whoever the occupier? He wanted to maximise scoops in his book so people byuy it?
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on June 18, 2020, 09:29:54 AM
The Supreme Court has decided (5 vs 4) that Trump can't cancel the DACA program.

QuoteDonald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

These horrible & politically charged decisions coming out of the Supreme Court are shotgun blasts into the face of people that are proud to call themselves Republicans or Conservatives. We need more Justices or we will lose our 2nd. Amendment & everything else. Vote Trump 2020!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Mary Trump, Donald Trump's niece, dishes on 'toxic family,' 'dark history' in book coming in July

Another best seller?

Don't say the President never did anything for culture!  Under his reign, book sales jumped 400%!

:P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on June 18, 2020, 10:21:07 AM
Mary Trump, Donald Trump's niece, dishes on 'toxic family,' 'dark history' in book coming in July

Another best seller?

Don't say the President never did anything for culture!  Under his reign, book sales jumped 400%!

Trump himself has written "twelve very successful books," according to Donald J. Trump.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on June 18, 2020, 10:15:27 AM

QuoteDonald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

These horrible & politically charged decisions coming out of the Supreme Court are shotgun blasts into the face of people that are proud to call themselves Republicans or Conservatives. We need more Justices or we will lose our 2nd. Amendment & everything else. Vote Trump 2020!

Everything else? Tell me more :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Sorry, the lawyer in me wants to make it clear (and it's even said in your quote) that the USSC didn't say Trump can't cancel the DACA program.  It only said that it went about it in the wrong way.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on June 18, 2020, 12:30:39 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 18, 2020, 10:21:07 AM

Another best seller?

Trump himself has written "twelve very successful books," according to Donald J. Trump.

Does he include Whose Boat is this Boat?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2020, 12:36:26 PM

Sorry, the lawyer in me wants to make it clear (and it's even said in your quote) that the USSC didn't say Trump can't cancel the DACA program.  It only said that it went about it in the wrong way.

Saying he needs to do it a legal way is a shotgun blast into the face to all conservatives. Just FYI.

Sorry about your face.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2020, 12:48:55 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2020, 12:36:26 PM

Saying he needs to do it a legal way is a shotgun blast into the face to all conservatives. Just FYI.

Sorry about your face.

Let freedom ring with a shotgun blast!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Religious liberty being over will protect us from worries of mass imposition of Sharia Law which I was always told was coming. I would think conservatives would be happy about that.

Syt

Trump's red triangle campaign was pulled by Facebook.

https://www.mediamatters.org/facebook/facebook-let-trump-campaign-run-ads-inverted-red-triangle-infamous-nazi-symbol

And they ran 88 ads on June 17th, because of course they did. :rolleyes:
—Stephen Jay Gould