News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 04, 2020, 02:37:01 AM
Got a  pop up on a youtube clipping giving me a chance to sign a birthday card for Donald.

Kind of reveals the kind of content you are consuming. :P

Tonitrus

Quote from: 11B4V on June 03, 2020, 08:25:55 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on June 03, 2020, 06:30:11 PM
Mattis is still rather popular among rank and file military folks.

Rather? That's an understatement.

I often tend to understate things.  :P

When he was ousted as SecDef, and we had to remove his official photo from the lineup (the one that the chain of command from the POTUS on down), one of my colleagues gave it a new home at his desk.  :)

Tonitrus

But that being said, when Mattis was ousted, there was likely a healthy level of cognitive dissonance among Trump supporters in the military.  And this is likely even more advanced after that statement. 

alfred russel

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 03, 2020, 07:08:22 PM
I'm starting to feel like forcibly dispersing peaceful protestors at the White House so he could awkwardly hold a Bible the other day is seriously backfiring for Donald.

It is really stunning. This sort of thing is normally an electoral godsend to Republicans. You act as conciliatory as possible while voters see what are probably predominantly democratic leaning groups burning stuff. Republicans are the law and order party - people know that without saying it. This even has the assist of happening in a city with a democratic mayor and governor.

Instead Trump wants to act tough but the federal government really has no sway here even if he wanted to be tough. He is transparently a buffoon. That isn't new, but people pay more attention when they are subject to curfews and cities are burning.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

So this memo was released last night - it feels like something prompted this - and again I feel like it's an extraordinary/dangerous moment for a country when the military is having to issue this sort of communication:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Chief of Space Operations be like: yeah yeah whatevs.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 04, 2020, 08:10:42 AM
So this memo was released last night - it feels like something prompted this - and again I feel like it's an extraordinary/dangerous moment for a country when the military is having to issue this sort of communication:

Yes it is. This may be a clue of what is trying to be done behind the scenes by this corrupt administration.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

HisMajestyBOB

Isn't this the second time during this presidency when such a memo was released? IIRC someone (Mattis?) released one earlier in Trump's term.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Tamas

QuoteYes it is. This may be a clue of what is trying to be done behind the scenes by this corrupt administration.

Yeah it looks like it. It is very scary that such declarations need to be made, but reassuring that they are being made.

Solmyr

Friend posted this on Facebook:

It's a classic move to boost up your popularity before election by declaring war on some random country. I don't think Trump has realized it doesn't necessarily work when you declare war on your own country.

The Brain

Well he did at least pick a cartoonishly evil banana republic. :hmm:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Much as I hate having to say anything positive about Piers Morgan and this is at least damning him with the faintest of praise, I think he comes out the better in this interview with Rudy Giuliani:
https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/status/1268431327340236800?s=20

It also reminds me of the Ben Shapiro/Andrew Neil argument. It's like American conservatives basically think if you're not lobbing them soft-balls like Fox, then you are an incredibly biased, compromised left-wing journalist. Whereas, you know, Andrew Neil is one of the most effective interviewers in the UK but he is very openly right-wing - he edits the Spectator and wears his Adam Smith Institute (right-wing think tank) tie all the time. Similarly Piers Morgan is and, until recently, has been one of Trump's biggest supporters in the UK (he's just a natural populist/tabloid man). But because they tend to be equally aggressive with their "own side" American right-wingers they have on the show seem to have a breakdown.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Yeah unlike many in America, Morgan hasn't doubled down on his support of Trump when shit really started hitting the fan with the pandemic and the protests, that's a plus.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 04, 2020, 11:10:58 AM
4500 National Guard in DC now.

I guess I never though of DC having a national guard, but they obviously do. Since there is no governor who commands them?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."