And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 30, 2020, 11:08:39 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on May 30, 2020, 10:43:42 PM
The continued immigration to the US always impresses me. You guys should be kissing Hollywood's feet.

They're the greatest PR/spin doctors out there.

Eh, we're still kinda rich.

Parts of your population are,  yes. Income and wealth inequality in the US are significant and especially in income have grown notably.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on May 30, 2020, 11:07:45 PM
So, let's say Trump loses the election.

Will he actually leave office, or will he cry foul and hang on as long as he can?

If he leaves office, how much scorched earth will he create during the transition?

He will cry and bitch and cause chaos and destruction through his crying and bitching but ultimately he won't do jackshit and just leave. I mean if his long trackrecord is anything to go by that is what will happen.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Will he actually leave office, or will he cry foul and hang on as long as he can?

If he leaves office, how much scorched earth will he create during the transition?

Quite a bit.  If he loses he will claim fraud and see how his base reacts.  The more radical they act the more radical he will act.  If he faces overwhelming opposition and his political allies desert him he will simply throw a tantrum, refuse to appear at the inauguration and try setting up his own TV network.  If armed Trump supporters decide to occupy state capitals and claim to be setting up provisional governments... who knows how he will respond.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Let's worry about A) an election and B) a Trump loss when we get there.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on May 31, 2020, 01:15:40 AM

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 31, 2020, 01:48:59 AM
Quote from: The Brain on May 31, 2020, 01:15:40 AM

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Easy for you to say. I'm still sitting with a warehouse of President Hillary: The New Era of Politics.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Merkel said she wouldn't go to the G7 in June that Trump had put back on schedule again, due to the Corona situation. Macron apparently said in a phone call it would be important everyone participates.

The summit has been postponed till September. Trump also wants to invite Russia, India, South Korea, and Australia, saying the traditional G7 format doesn't fit what's happening in the world today.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

He really just wants the anti-China summit.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Is he aware there is this thing called the G20?

Quote from: garbon on May 31, 2020, 02:15:25 AM
He really just wants the anti-China summit.

Ah ok. He just doesn't want China there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Solmyr

You assume there will be an election.

garbon

Quote from: Solmyr on May 31, 2020, 03:51:52 AM

I can't see why the military would support him in an attempted coup.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zoupa on May 30, 2020, 10:43:42 PM
The continued immigration to the US always impresses me. You guys should be kissing Hollywood's feet.

They're the greatest PR/spin doctors out there.
I sort of look at jobs in the US every now and then. And I'd only be going to one of the liberal cities on the coast. But the thing that always puts me off is the lack of holidays.

I've got a friend who's a medical researcher and he's worked in California for a bit, and absolutely loved it, but it's the same for him. The lack of holidays is a huge issue.
Let's bomb Russia!

Habbaku

:rolleyes:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Solmyr

Quote from: garbon on May 31, 2020, 05:12:05 AM

I can't see why the military would support him in an attempted coup.

If the entire federal government supports him, will the military rebel?

All he has to do is declare some emergency based on the epidemic (which will very likely have a harsh second wave in fall) and postpone the election "in the interests of public safety" or some such. I'm sure Bill Barr will advise him on ways to make it sound legal. At this point, the political conditions in the US are such that I can totally imagine something like this being considered and attempted.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Solmyr on May 31, 2020, 01:31:11 PM
All he has to do is declare some emergency based on the epidemic (which will very likely have a harsh second wave in fall) and postpone the election "in the interests of public safety" or some such. I'm sure Bill Barr will advise him on ways to make it sound legal. At this point, the political conditions in the US are such that I can totally imagine something like this being considered and attempted.

I agree. And quite frankly, this is just the scenario in which to apply one of Tim Snyder's main point: 

You have to imagine it. Already imagine and visualize what your answer will be to that scenario. Simply brushing it aside as unthinkable means you'll only be unprepared to act if it indeed comes, and you will fall back onto your reassuring routines. See: the Democrats re: Trump.

This is how, and why, generally, abuses of power take root - because bureaucrats are creatures of routine. The last three years in the US do not give great cause for optimism in that regard, and while it is entirely possible that this may be an unwarranted fear, it still behooves us to already envision what *would* be our conduct if such a thing came to pass. Protest? With whom? How will they be met? Political pressures? To whom? What form will that take?

It is not a waste of time.
Que le grand cric me croque !