Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Taken at the protests at Michigan's state capitol:

How can these people be ridiculous and terrifying at the same time?  :wacko:

Malthus

Quote from: The Larch on May 14, 2020, 07:00:45 PM
Taken at the protests at Michigan's state capitol:

How can these people be ridiculous and terrifying at the same time?  :wacko:

A caption for that picture: "A well-regulated militia".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

One would think the ability to blast your foes with pure energy would be superior than a fire arm.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1261011773039116288?s=20

QuoteTrump: "[Doctors and nurses] are running into death just like soldiers run into bullets ... it's a beautiful thing to see."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

At least his heart is in the wrong place.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-14/michigan-cancels-legislative-session-to-avoid-armed-protesters?sref=Zd9D2evu

QuoteMichigan Cancels Legislative Session to Avoid Armed Protesters

Michigan closed down its capitol in Lansing on Thursday and canceled its legislative session rather than face the possibility of an armed protest and death threats against Democratic Governor Gretchen Whitmer.

The gathering, meant to advocate opening the state for business despite the coronavirus pandemic, followed one April 30 that resulted in pictures of protesters clad in military-style gear and carrying long guns crowding the statehouse. They confronted police and taunted lawmakers.

The shutdown was done with little fanfare at the end of Wednesday's State Senate session. About 4:30 p.m., lawmakers in the Republican-majority chamber simply adjourned until Tuesday rather than call the next previously scheduled meeting for Thursday morning at 10 a.m. The Michigan State Police are closing the buildings due to the coronavirus, said spokesman Lieutenant Brian Oleksyk.

For the past week, lawmakers have been debating how to safely enable lawmakers to work and vote in session while the state's laws allow people to bring firearms into the capitol building. The debate grew more tense in recent days as some lawmakers read about threats to the governor's life on social media, which were published in the Detroit Metro Times.

Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel issued an opinion on May 11 saying that the State Capitol Commission -- a body of six lawmakers who oversee the building and its grounds -- could ban firearms. The commission voted to study a ban this week, but took no action.

Thursday's protest, billed as "Judgment Day," was organized by the right-wing group Michigan United for Liberty, which is protesting the state's extended stay-at-home order. Whitmer pushed the order to the end of May while giving automakers, their suppliers and other manufacturers the green light to go back to work. On its Facebook page, the group posted a memo asking that protesters remain peaceful.

Still, lawmakers feared a repeat of April 30, when armed protesters entered the Senate Chamber and stood above them in a visitors gallery during the session.

State Senator Dayna Polehanki, a Democrat, on Tuesday proposed a bill to ban firearms in the capitol building. The bill has heavy support from her party.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

I support people owning firearms.  I could get behind concealed carry laws in Canada.  Not a fan of open carry in public places, but not ridiculously offended by it.

Why the fuck though is it legal to bring firearms into the legislature?  That makes absolutely zero sense.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PDH

If we don't threaten to gun down lawmakers who don't do things we like what other recourse do we have?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Oexmelin

Quote from: Barrister on May 15, 2020, 12:29:50 PM
I support people owning firearms.  I could get behind concealed carry laws in Canada.  Not a fan of open carry in public places, but not ridiculously offended by it.

Why the fuck though is it legal to bring firearms into the legislature?  That makes absolutely zero sense.

I am ridiculously offended by open carry, precisely for the reasons demonstrated here. One can easily extend the situation to colleges, places of employment, public demonstrations, etc.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

I am actually kind of offended by people using fire arms to intimidate and enforce their will publicly. That strikes me as the kind of thing fire arms are supposedly to protect against.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 15, 2020, 12:49:30 PM

I am ridiculously offended by open carry, precisely for the reasons demonstrated here. One can easily extend the situation to colleges, places of employment, public demonstrations, etc.

I remember road-tripping to a fraternity house at NDSU in Fargo.  One of the American brothers had a new rifle, was out in front of the fraternity house, showing off his rifle to a couple of other people.  I was freaking out on the inside going "you can't do that!", but really it was fine - there was nothing sinister going on.

You can picture scenarios where open carry is fine - you've been out hunting or shooting, you run in to get some groceries or something, and rather than leave your firearm in the car or truck to maybe be stolen you bring it with you.  Or you're just bringing it over to your neighbours house.

And yes, you can picture scenarios where it is sinister as well.

I am not advocating for open carry laws, but I guess you could do it with lots of regulations on where you can or can not open carry.  And very near the top of that list would be places of government.

viper37

Because owning a gun is a right, as well, as open-carry in some States.

Once it is a right, it is very difficult to find legal grounds to forbid it in some specific places and not others.

Owning a gun should be akin to having a driver's license, it's not a right, but you're allowed to it in some circumstances.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on May 15, 2020, 01:08:55 PM

Once it is a right, it is very difficult to find legal grounds to forbid it in some specific places and not others.

Owning a gun should be akin to having a driver's license, it's not a right, but you're allowed to it in some circumstances.

But the Michigan statehouse has people go through metal detectors to find any weapons.  Except you can just bring your firearm in. :wacko:

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on May 15, 2020, 01:08:55 PM

It is a right to bear arms but that does not mean public buildings or private property is required to allow you to carry your weapons in. But I guess that depends on the laws of Michigan.

Barrister

So Trump announces today the creation of "Operation Warp Speed", a concerted effort to have a vaccine ready and available by the end of the year.

Why the fuck didn't he do this in March?  (Of course better yet why not in January/February, but we know the answer to that one).