And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Syt on April 14, 2020, 05:30:30 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 14, 2020, 05:13:45 AM
And California have shipped their spare ventilators to a coalition of, I think, 11 other states (all blue) who were not getting support by the Federal government.

I feel like it's a bit like hurricane releif in Puerto Rico v any red southern state. Trump's entire outlook is entirely transactional so why should he be trying hard to help people in states that won't vote for him and with Governors who won't obsequiously praise him.

There's big issues in the EU's response to do with solidarity and cohesion which I think mean this crisis is a make or break issue (as Conte has put it). But the unexpected sort of surprising thing for me is I think there are questions about the fundamental foundations of the US. This feels more like an "Articles of Confederation" moment than any other I can think of in recent American history. States supporting each other in political blocs because the Federal government is absent/transactional.

Reminds me of Transmetropolitan where the president puts people who didn't vote for him into the worst public housing projects possible (like, toxic to live in). His opponent in the election promises to tear down those eyesores after prodding by media. Which he does when he wins the election. But doesn't offer any replacement, so all these people are now homeless.

Transmet used to be satire; feels less and less like it.

That doesn't really seem connected at all. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Sorry, I was on a conference call and have only skimmed Sheilbh's post.  :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

I'm reminded of that little speech about the T-800 that Kyle Reese gives Sarah Connor in the first terminator film.

Trump still wouldn't get it.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: mongers on April 14, 2020, 08:08:38 AM
I'm reminded of that little speech about the T-800 that Kyle Reese gives Sarah Connor in the first terminator film.

Trump still wouldn't get it.

https://twitter.com/AaronCouch/status/1246500698788786176
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

The Brain

Sheilbh

The President tweets:
"Tell the Democrat Governors that "Mutiny On The Bounty" was one of my all time favorite movies. A good old fashioned mutiny every now and then is an exciting and invigorating thing to watch, especially when the mutineers need so much from the Captain. Too easy!"
Does he think that Captain Bligh is the hero of Mutiny on the Bount? :mellow:  :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 14, 2020, 12:01:14 PM
The President tweets:
"Tell the Democrat Governors that "Mutiny On The Bounty" was one of my all time favorite movies. A good old fashioned mutiny every now and then is an exciting and invigorating thing to watch, especially when the mutineers need so much from the Captain. Too easy!"
Does he think that Captain Bligh is the hero of Mutiny on the Bount? :mellow:  :hmm:

The real hero is Brando's island that supported his weight in later years.

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on April 14, 2020, 12:07:26 PM
The President tweets:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Maybe he was thinking of The Caine Mutiny.  :lol:

It's a monstrous situation.  Supplies that were purchased with funds allocated by a united Congress, to be paid (eventually) by tax payers of both parties.  And doesn't he realize there are right thinking Republicans living in those blue states too?

I'm guessing Pelosi and Schumer are wishing they'd added more stipulations to the bill now.  :(

This is IMO the most despicable thing he has ever done.

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on April 14, 2020, 12:10:49 PM
Quote from: The Brain on April 14, 2020, 12:07:26 PM
The President tweets:

Never get off the couch, that is the law. Are we not men?

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on April 14, 2020, 03:57:08 AM
It will be so funny that in a week Trumptards will be arguing for the supremacy of federal law, and the Democrats will be pro-state rights.

It's already happening.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

Trumptards are arguing about the supremacy of authority whenever it is exercised by them, period. Whether it is at the Presidency, on the Supreme Court, in Red States or in school boards.
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Habbaku on April 14, 2020, 12:26:43 PM
Quote from: Tamas on April 14, 2020, 03:57:08 AM
It will be so funny that in a week Trumptards will be arguing for the supremacy of federal law, and the Democrats will be pro-state rights.

It's already happening.

Which is really only part of the  argument.
Congress has the power to regulate commerce so there is quite a lot the federal government can do in that area.
However  that power belongs to Congress not the President. Without Congressional authorization the President's authority is limited. Especially when the "war" is metaphorical.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

FunkMonk

No war is metaphorical when you have the bone spurs to prove it.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.