News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 13, 2020, 07:53:14 AM
Did not expect the US aligning with OPEC on cutting production  to be a thing that'd happen, but here we are.

Seen a Norwegian projection that this April, year on year will see a decline of 27 million bpd used, that's around a 25% drop, extraordinary times indeed.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

I think the President is becoming more and more deranged.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

I don't know if there's much change, but part of it is that I supect he's facing - for the first time in his Presidency (and frankly, possibly life) - something that can't be spun away or sued or dealt with through PR. It's a virus, it's just a brute fact.
Let's bomb Russia!

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 13, 2020, 09:47:10 PM
I don't know if there's much change, but part of it is that I supect he's facing - for the first time in his Presidency (and frankly, possibly life) - something that can't be spun away or sued or dealt with through PR. It's a virus, it's just a brute fact.

I saw a similar kind of derangement at the beginning of the impeachment proceedings, when he realized he couldn't just fire the Senate.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 13, 2020, 10:00:42 PM
I saw a similar kind of derangement at the beginning of the impeachment proceedings, when he realized he couldn't just fire the Senate.

I don't see why he would be deranged.  Everyone knew McConnell had enough votes to ensure the Senate would ignore its constitutional obligation to try cases of impeachment.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on April 13, 2020, 10:51:17 PM

I don't see why he would be deranged.  Everyone knew McConnell had enough votes to ensure the Senate would ignore its constitutional obligation to try cases of impeachment.
That's true, but McConnell wasn't Trump.  It's probably not a comfortable feeling to have your life in someone's hands, even if those hands are very trusted.

Razgovory

Well, they are working very hard at spinning this.  Trump is trying to rewrite history to show that he was on top of this before anyone else was.  Fox news is suggesting that number of deaths is being inflated.  The government is not keeping records for deaths at nursing homes and several states refuse to report the losses at all.  The scary part is that Trump and his surrogates seems to be succeeding in spinning this.

This whole presidency has been surreal.  Trump tells a ham-fisted and stupid lies and people fall for it.  I don't get it.

Here's something I never thought I would see:  Several states are forming their own federal government.  Trump said that the states should be procuring resources for themselves, and the states have tried only to discover they are bidding against one another (and the Federal government!).  So the states of New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Connecticut are setting up a system were they won't be bidding against one another and simply share the resources.  This is, to be sure, really fucking weird.  The states have also found that when do get supplies the Feds swoop down and seize them.  And that's not all, at least one state is considering deploying the national guard to protect these supplies from the Federal Government.

QuoteOfficials in one state are so worried about this possibility that they are considering dispatching local police or even the National Guard to greet two chartered FedEx planes scheduled to arrive in the next week with millions of masks from China, according to people familiar with the planning. These people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, asked that their state not be identified to avoid flagging federal officials to their shipment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/as-feds-play-backup-states-take-unorthodox-steps-to-compete-in-cutthroat-global-market-for-coronavirus-supplies/2020/04/11/609b5d84-7a70-11ea-a130-df573469f094_story.html

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

States don't have rights, I'm told, so if the Feds want you you're toast.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

It will be so funny that in a week Trumptards will be arguing for the supremacy of federal law, and the Democrats will be pro-state rights.

Solmyr

Quote from: Razgovory on April 14, 2020, 03:24:46 AM
Here's something I never thought I would see:  Several states are forming their own federal government.  Trump said that the states should be procuring resources for themselves, and the states have tried only to discover they are bidding against one another (and the Federal government!).  So the states of New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Connecticut are setting up a system were they won't be bidding against one another and simply share the resources.  This is, to be sure, really fucking weird.  The states have also found that when do get supplies the Feds swoop down and seize them.  And that's not all, at least one state is considering deploying the national guard to protect these supplies from the Federal Government.

The ThirteenFour Colonies must rise against the tyranny of Emperor Donald I?

Sheilbh

Interesting - but with that I think he eventually realised it was politics, which is very much something he can do.

The only way he can get out of issues with coronavirus is by being a competent executive - which is the one thing he didn't want to happen. It's like a small hurricane hitting each state. Michael Lewis's Fifth Risk is worth reading on this.
Let's bomb Russia!

katmai

Quote from: Solmyr on April 14, 2020, 04:18:32 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 14, 2020, 03:24:46 AM

The ThirteenFour Colonies must rise against the tyranny of Emperor Donald I?
Washington, Oregon and California are also working on plan for how a resumption of "normalcy " will work cross state borders.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Sheilbh

And California have shipped their spare ventilators to a coalition of, I think, 11 other states (all blue) who were not getting support by the Federal government.

I feel like it's a bit like hurricane releif in Puerto Rico v any red southern state. Trump's entire outlook is entirely transactional so why should he be trying hard to help people in states that won't vote for him and with Governors who won't obsequiously praise him.

There's big issues in the EU's response to do with solidarity and cohesion which I think mean this crisis is a make or break issue (as Conte has put it). But the unexpected sort of surprising thing for me is I think there are questions about the fundamental foundations of the US. This feels more like an "Articles of Confederation" moment than any other I can think of in recent American history. States supporting each other in political blocs because the Federal government is absent/transactional.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 14, 2020, 05:13:45 AM
And California have shipped their spare ventilators to a coalition of, I think, 11 other states (all blue) who were not getting support by the Federal government.

I feel like it's a bit like hurricane releif in Puerto Rico v any red southern state. Trump's entire outlook is entirely transactional so why should he be trying hard to help people in states that won't vote for him and with Governors who won't obsequiously praise him.

There's big issues in the EU's response to do with solidarity and cohesion which I think mean this crisis is a make or break issue (as Conte has put it). But the unexpected sort of surprising thing for me is I think there are questions about the fundamental foundations of the US. This feels more like an "Articles of Confederation" moment than any other I can think of in recent American history. States supporting each other in political blocs because the Federal government is absent/transactional.

Reminds me of Transmetropolitan where the president puts people who didn't vote for him into the worst public housing projects possible (like, toxic to live in). His opponent in the election promises to tear down those eyesores after prodding by media. Which he does when he wins the election. But doesn't offer any replacement, so all these people are now homeless.

Transmet used to be satire; feels less and less like it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.