And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Does this mean we're getting into a Fallout scenario already?  :hmm:

grumbler

This whole California thing is the dumbest misuse of opinion pages I've seen in a couple of years.  Newsome has never said that California is, or will try to become, it's own nation-state.  What he has said is that California has the purchasing power of a nation-state and should use it to get what it needs.

the fact that Bloomberg and MSN have made his comment into "Gavin Newsom Declares California a 'Nation-State'" is a another blot on their already well-blotted escutcheon, but we don't have to treat such headlines with anything but the disdain which such click-baiting deserves.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

Quote from: grumbler on April 11, 2020, 01:30:29 PM
This whole California thing is the dumbest misuse of opinion pages I've seen in a couple of years.  Newsome has never said that California is, or will try to become, it's own nation-state.  What he has said is that California has the purchasing power of a nation-state and should use it to get what it needs.

the fact that Bloomberg and MSN have made his comment into "Gavin Newsom Declares California a 'Nation-State'" is a another blot on their already well-blotted escutcheon, but we don't have to treat such headlines with anything but the disdain which such click-baiting deserves.

:yes:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

How is the purchasing power of nation states different from other states?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on April 11, 2020, 03:16:33 PM

It's more like the purchasing power of a nation than that of a state.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

katmai

Quote from: grumbler on April 11, 2020, 05:37:01 PM
Quote from: The Brain on April 11, 2020, 03:16:33 PM

It's more like the purchasing power of a nation than that of a state.
yeah doesn't California tout having the 5th largest gdp in world
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 11, 2020, 01:11:02 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 11, 2020, 12:09:02 AM
Goddamnit.

What that the opinion article built all of that off of Newsom's purchasing statement?

Whatever is responsible for that article existing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

I think the more interesting thing is that, from what I've read Trump is being far more responsive to requests for assistance from "his" areas than or states he needs to win and at the same time Newsom has been distributing ventilators and other equipment to blue states in need.

Edit: Also reporters say that Newsom's talked about California as a "nation state" for well over a decade. It's just getting attention now.
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Vlad sees stupid opinion pieces like that and gets fully erect.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2020, 07:41:18 PM
I think the more interesting thing is that, from what I've read Trump is being far more responsive to requests for assistance from "his" areas than or states he needs to win and at the same time Newsom has been distributing ventilators and other equipment to blue states in need.
I like that some States are organizing themselves, despite the Federal govt obstruction sometimes, and are no longer ashamed of shouting it.  This administration needs to be challenged.

Edit: Also reporters say that Newsom's talked about California as a "nation state" for well over a decade. It's just getting attention now.
Ah, from what I've read, it's been like that since the beginning of this administration at least.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2020, 07:41:18 PM

Bizarre. What does an ethnic Californian look like?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Did not expect the US aligning with OPEC on cutting production  to be a thing that'd happen, but here we are.
Let's bomb Russia!