News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on September 24, 2019, 03:39:07 PM
Her being a child saying blunt things to adults is the argument.  Argument to innocence, or something of that nature, the converse of ad hominem.

I don't see the issue.  When a minor puts themselves out in the political arena, they are asking to be treated as an adult.  It's OK to do that.  A person who treats the child's ideas respectfully and responds with adult argument is not going to be condemned. 

The problem is that all too many so-called adults in public life have become used to acting like children, relying on variants of the grade school playground argumentative toolbox ("you're a retard", "Go back to mommy", "I'm rubber, you're glue").  This provides for some lowbrow amusement in the middlebrow setting of cable TV news.  But the incongruity that results when the adult acting as child confronts the child acting as adult breaks the spell and reveals the talking head assholes for what they are. Assholes.

Simply put - if having a child carry the message deters descent inti the lowest common denominator of public discourse, that would be WAD, not a bug.  Sadly,deterrence fails in this respect, as we have seen the usual suspects continue to act in their usual asinine way despite Ms. Thunberg's tender years.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Trump planning on leaving the UPU:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49816654

:wacko:

Is it because it's name includes Universal and Union?

Also what was with the bizarre level of fake tan he was sporting at the UN today, can no one in his entourage now cross him?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

What has she said that is objectionable - to those who think it is a bad idea for a 16 year old to tell the grown ups they have fucked up.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: mongers on September 24, 2019, 05:47:24 PM
Trump planning on leaving the UPU:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49816654

:wacko:

Is it because it's name includes Universal and Union?

It's an obsession of Peter Navarro. He thinks the postal union is another international conspiracy against American manufacturing.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 25, 2019, 12:45:20 AM
He thinks the postal union is another international conspiracy against American manufacturing.
yes, that's the reason why a 3500$ iPhone is not made in the US.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tamas

So if the transcript only shows that he wanted Ukraine to look into some dirt on Biden but didn't blackmail them with the support, then this is not good enough to impeach him, is it?

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on September 25, 2019, 09:39:18 AM
So if the transcript only shows that he wanted Ukraine to look into some dirt on Biden but didn't blackmail them with the support, then this is not good enough to impeach him, is it?

Impeachment is a political process.

If the transcript has him asking for a foreign power to investigate his political opponents, even if he doesn't explicitly include a quid pro quo, then I think it is most certainly enough to continue with impeachment proceedings.

There is no question that the quid pro quo exists, even if it is not made explicit. He delayed hundreds of millions in aid, then called him up and asked him to investigate Biden. Is that enough for a criminal conviction? Probably not - but this isn't a criminal proceeding, it is a political proceeding.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Congress wants to see the complaint that the White House is required by law to provide.  One thing that seems very clear is that Trump doesn't have an inkling of why his behavior is unacceptable.  I think he has a genuine inability to put himself in other people's shoes.  He can't make the connection that if he does this Biden's son someone else can do it to his kids.  He also doesn't seem to understand that if it's wrong for Biden to get someone fired to stop an investigation it's also wrong when he gave that order to fire Mueller. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sophie Scholl

Wasn't the prosecutor deliberately not looking into Biden's son/the company he worked for?  Wasn't that part of the corruption angle against the prosecutor?  How Biden's son got the job and kept the job is the bigger scandal in my opinion, not the pressure to remove the corrupt prosecutor.  That, if anything, hurt Biden's son and the company he worked for.  If we're going with investigations into the placing of family members in positions they don't deserve during one's Presidency/Vice Presidency, then Trump has a lot more to fear.  Nepotism is strong in the current administration.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

viper37

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on September 25, 2019, 02:40:10 PM
Wasn't that part of the corruption angle against the prosecutor?  How Biden's son got the job and kept the job is the bigger scandal in my opinion, not the pressure to remove the corrupt prosecutor.
Not really.  He's a lawyer and former lobbyist, son of the US Vice-President.  If you are a corrupt businessman, that's the kind of person you want to hire to front the idea you are running a totally legitimate business.  Note that he wasn't the only American there.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tamas on September 25, 2019, 09:39:18 AM

I want you to do me a favor though

That's pretty blatant coming after the Ukrainian president bringing up military aid.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

FunkMonk

Might be the single funniest tweet in history.  :lmfao:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.