What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on September 24, 2019, 08:24:01 AM
Speaking of that, I'm curious what Greta's expertise is to speak about the climate change.  Is there any special reasons she's making speeches to adults at UN, or has she just won the viral lottery a while back?

It's entirely the latter, as far as I can tell.  She probably wasn't the first student to skip school to protest environmental inaction, but she was the first to get the kind of recognition that she got.

I don't think one needs any special expertise to be qualified to tell politicians that they are not doing enough to stop or mitigate climate change.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on September 24, 2019, 08:44:52 AM
Quote from: DGuller on September 24, 2019, 08:24:01 AM
Speaking of that, I'm curious what Greta's expertise is to speak about the climate change.  Is there any special reasons she's making speeches to adults at UN, or has she just won the viral lottery a while back?

It's entirely the latter, as far as I can tell.  She probably wasn't the first student to skip school to protest environmental inaction, but she was the first to get the kind of recognition that she got.

I don't think one needs any special expertise to be qualified to tell politicians that they are not doing enough to stop or mitigate climate change.
No, I don't think so either, just curious.  Logic doesn't always work on individual humans, and certainly rarely works on a collection of humans.  If a cute Swedish girl succeeds where expert adults fail, then I'm not going to complain about still have a world to live in.

One problem with children and political problems though is that they are not good at identifying effective solutions.  Usually people act badly because they're in a bad system with bad incentives, so changing the system of incentives is the way forward.  Calling people out for being bad and telling them to act better will look cute if you're 16, but is unlikely to be effective.

Legbiter

Quote from: DGuller on September 24, 2019, 08:57:28 AMOne problem with children and political problems though is that they are not good at identifying effective solutions.  Usually people act badly because they're in a bad system with bad incentives, so changing the system of incentives is the way forward.  Calling people out for being bad and telling them to act better will look cute if you're 16, but is unlikely to be effective.

Good point.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Grey Fox

It is all they have. It is, hopefully, the start of a revolution.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on September 24, 2019, 08:57:28 AM
No, I don't think so either, just curious.  Logic doesn't always work on individual humans, and certainly rarely works on a collection of humans.  If a cute Swedish girl succeeds where expert adults fail, then I'm not going to complain about still have a world to live in.

One problem with children and political problems though is that they are not good at identifying effective solutions.  Usually people act badly because they're in a bad system with bad incentives, so changing the system of incentives is the way forward.  Calling people out for being bad and telling them to act better will look cute if you're 16, but is unlikely to be effective.

I don't think that anyone is expecting this person to recommend policy changes for any particular government.  Her presence in the global climate debate is purely symbolic.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Larch

Apparently there are renewed calls for impeaching Trump after the Ukraine whistleblower affair. Will it amount to anything?

Habbaku

No, probably not. Just another item on the list of offenses for which a Democrat would be excoriated but which Trump will prove immune.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on September 24, 2019, 09:56:38 AM
Quote from: DGuller on September 24, 2019, 08:57:28 AM

I don't think that anyone is expecting this person to recommend policy changes for any particular government.  Her presence in the global climate debate is purely symbolic.
The videos of her will be endlessly retweeted, and so will influence how other people who may be in position to apply electoral political pressure see the issue.  If something inspiring but utterly practically useless (or worse) catches the public's fancy and goes viral, then it will be a bad thing.

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on September 24, 2019, 10:28:40 AM
No, probably not. Just another item on the list of offenses for which a Democrat would be excoriated but which Trump will prove immune.

The latest thing with Boris Johnson (where he has been found of having made the monarch partake in an illegal act and there's no serious talk of him resigning) made me think: guys like him and Trump, their nature is already priced in by the public. Trump isn't damaged by all this shit because nobody has ever expected anything else from him.

DGuller

Another issue I have with Greta is that using children is as a general rule not helpful for rational discourse.  It's hard for an adult to get into a debate with a child without looking like a bully, even if the child is saying stupid things.  It steers the debate into "OMG, why are you so mean to the little girl, why are you so scared" direction, which does nothing to resolve the debate.

garbon

Is someone making Greta do this? Children should neither be seen nor heard?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Larch on September 24, 2019, 10:26:33 AM
Apparently there are renewed calls for impeaching Trump after the Ukraine whistleblower affair. Will it amount to anything?

Increasingly likely the House will start hearings.  There is real outrage in the caucus and many new swing members are backing an inquiry.  The fact that Trump is trying to cheat in the current election supplies urgency.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2019, 11:51:03 AM
Someone has to be facilitating these speeches.  I assume I can't just call up UN and tell them I have something insightful to say, so please clear a spot for me.

Syt

Quote from: DGuller on September 24, 2019, 11:57:32 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2019, 11:51:03 AM
Someone has to be facilitating these speeches.  I assume I can't just call up UN and tell them I have something insightful to say, so please clear a spot for me.

Have you tried?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Oexmelin

Quite frankly, considering the state of current political leadership, being worried about what a 16 year old teen brings to the debate seems like a misplaced concern.
Que le grand cric me croque !