What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 17, 2019, 04:16:48 PM
The left starts from a different point of view.  Rather from starting from imagining a mythical land where everyone is free of government regulation and then reasoning what might be appropriate, the left generally starts from the position that government regulation is certainly necessary to protect society from the excesses of capitalism.

That differentiates quasi-libertarians from middle of the road leftists.  It doesn't account for antifa, anarchists and communists.  And it only deals with economic issues, not social.  Berkut is quite liberal on social issues, more conservative on economic issues.

"Liberal" in the US sense means more than just "economic left wing".  The US Right wing is totally in favour of strict regulations to govern social life: anti-abortion, anti gay/trans/etc rights, freedom of religion as long as it means having similar strict beliefs, etc.  That isn't Berkut, imho.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: Solmyr on May 18, 2019, 01:06:35 AM
Trump is going full Sauron. :rolleyes:

I think this is a perfect illustration of what Trump and his cult believe to be strength and toughness.  It's what the rest of us consider cruelty.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Justin Amash calls for the impeachment of Donald Trump: https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/19/opinions/justin-amash-donald-trump-impeachment-tweets-obeidallah/index.html

I have to hand it to him. I always respected, if I did not agree, with his narrow constitutional positions but even so I find this principled stand surprising. Needless to say the Republicans will continue to show just what they think of Libertarian types when they have the reigns of power...or at least whatever Trump and his supporters are.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on May 19, 2019, 12:58:56 PM
Justin Amash calls for the impeachment of Donald Trump: https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/19/opinions/justin-amash-donald-trump-impeachment-tweets-obeidallah/index.html

I have to hand it to him. I always respected, if I did not agree, with his narrow constitutional positions but even so I find this principled stand surprising. Needless to say the Republicans will continue to show just what they think of Libertarian types when they have the reigns of power...or at least whatever Trump and his supporters are.
It's not that surprising. He's always been the one libertarian GOP house member who has actually been ideologically consistent. If there was a pool for the first GOP congressman to call for Trump's impeachment, Amash would have been the favorite, far and away.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Thousands of immigrants forced into solitary confinement by ICE – not for breaking any rules, but for being physically disabled or gay

https://www.msnbc.com/stephanie-ruhle/watch/thousands-of-immigrants-forced-into-solitary-confinement-by-ice-60040261961?cid=sm_npd_ms_tw_ma

1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 21, 2019, 07:20:32 PM
Thousands of immigrants forced into solitary confinement by ICE – not for breaking any rules, but for being physically disabled or gay

https://www.msnbc.com/stephanie-ruhle/watch/thousands-of-immigrants-forced-into-solitary-confinement-by-ice-60040261961?cid=sm_npd_ms_tw_ma

If they're illegal immigrants, they have broken rules.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

jimmy olsen

Quote from: dps on May 22, 2019, 12:07:59 AM

They have not broken prison rules, which is what normally gets you thrown in solitary confinement, but you knew that and are just nitpicking.

1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 22, 2019, 05:59:29 AM

They have not broken prison rules, which is what normally gets you thrown in solitary confinement, but you knew that and are just nitpicking.

OK, guilty as charged.

grumbler

No, they haven't.  There is no law that says people cannot cross a birder to claim asylum.  Staying in the country after being refused asylum is "breaking the rules," but that only applies after a court ruling that these people haven't yet had.

Trumpeters tend to forget all about courts.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Trump and his cult want to get rid of the courts.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on May 22, 2019, 12:47:09 PM
Trump and his cult want to get rid of the courts.
unnecessary burden with such a wise ruler.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: grumbler on May 22, 2019, 09:56:03 AM

No, they haven't.  There is no law that says people cannot cross a birder to claim asylum.

To repeat:   If they're illegal immigrants, they have broken rules.

Yeah, I was being both an ass about it, but what I posted was technically correct.